Kobe Beef

Jenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's had Kobe beef and what cut would you recommend?

I usually get ribeye when I buy steaks as I find it good value for money but on this one I'm after the best stuff to celebrate a birthday.

Also I'm planning to put it on a cast iron griddle on the hob, unless someone has a better suggestion?

Stick with Ribeye if your after flavour, go with fillet if you want a more melt in the mouth piece of meat :)

Proper Kobe beef comes from Japan and is supposed to be the best beef on the planet. Are you sure you can get the genuine thing over here ?

Our local farm shop butcher sells T bone steaks which you don't see as often nowadays and I tend to buy them as they have the right proportion of taste and tenderness for us.

Let me know if you buy too much and I'll happily pop round to help you eat it

Proper Kobe beef comes from Japan

There are farmers in the UK that are using Kobe techniques over here too.

I've only ever had Wagyu beef the once (in Australia) and whilst it was very nice I still have memories or real Aberdeen Angus beef which used to be the pinnacle of steak eating at a fraction of the silly prices that people are charging for Kobe

Proper Kobe beef comes from Japan and is supposed to be the best beef on the planet. Are you sure you can get the genuine thing over here ?

It's the Wagyu cows yes but reared in the UK. Seeing the price it bloody better be the best beef on the planet ;)

It's for an occasion as we've not tried it and my husband likes "alternative foods"; a treat.

I'd say taste is most important but I'd still want it to be kind of melting. I rarely get standard beef fillet because of the less obvious taste although it's very good with a sauce. The Kobe I'd want simply grilled so everyone else agree on ribeye or maybe sirloin?

Never had it - but when I get the opportunity at a sensible price I certainly will.

As far as I'm aware there's only one guy in the UK with the Wagyu animals...

Cumberland News | World's most expensive cattle arrives

...I'm not sure if he's selling any of the meat yet. The problem with Wagyu outside of Japan is simply that it is illegal to export the *live* animals, exporting meat is OK (and apparently embryos - see link above).

A few of interesting facts about Wagyu...
1) Because of it amazing marbling it does not require hanging to be at it's best (the Japanese do not hang this meat).
2) The Wagyu was bread as a beast of burden and not to be eaten, it is only recently that the Japanese have developed a taste for beef.
3) These animals are not pampered in Japan, this is an old wives tale. Apparently there is one old gent who has a couple of Wagyu that does massage them and read poetry to them etc.. Typically a herd of say ninety animals will be looked after by three workers.

Can't quite justify £85 for a sarnie...:(
BBC NEWS | England | London | 'Most expensive sandwich' on sale

Last edited:
Sirloin or ribeye if you are going Kobe.

Restuarant the in-laws are visitng tonight sells this for £50 a steak

Slight OT but wife bought a joint of beef at the weekend which we had for Sunday dinner - very nice :thumbsup:

Thing that intrigued me was it was a salmon cut with absolutely no fat in it apart from round the outside

Never heard of a salmon cut for a joint of beef before :confused:

'salmon cut' refers to the shape of the muscle, it is 'seam' butchered, so you only get the best part of the 'silverside' We use it to make cured beef products:)

There are farmers in the UK that are using Kobe techniques over here too.
Forgive my ignorance, but can this country replicate the Japanese environment and technique(s) fully?

I'd give up being a vegetarian one time if I am cooked a nice Kobe steak

Another vote for Donald Russell here! In fact i've just taken a pack of his sausages out of the freezer for a pasta dish tonight.:smashin:

Another vote for Donald Russell here! In fact i've just taken a pack of his sausages out of the freezer for a pasta dish tonight.:smashin:

Never had their sausages, although lots of their other products. Any good ?
Have you tried their bacon as well ?

Never had their sausages, although lots of their other products. Any good ?
Have you tried their bacon as well ?

Lovely bangers! I haven't tried the bacon as I don't really eat much bacon. I love their pies, steaks, fishcakes and lamb though. The minced beef is also top notch. My favourite of all though is the Duck Confit, absolutely beautiful.

Forgive my ignorance, but can this country replicate the Japanese environment and technique(s) fully?

Probably not fully but they would use the same breed of cattle and apply similar techniques so would get pretty close.

It's a bit like Guiness was in the old days when it was the same product wherever it was brewed but most connoisseurs could tell the difference between Guiness brewed in Dublin and the same beer brewed elsewhere

Just spent best part of an hour reading everything on the Donald Russell website. I could quite easily drown in my drool now

Probably not fully but they would use the same breed of cattle and apply similar techniques so would get pretty close.

It's a bit like Guiness was in the old days when it was the same product wherever it was brewed but most connoisseurs could tell the difference between Guiness brewed in Dublin and the same beer brewed elsewhere

My friend always said that as well, it was a different drink Guiness when you bought it from a pub in Ireland than elsewhere in the world. Seem to remember on the news this was a massive issue when there was talk they'd move the production of guiness somewhere else, the use of a different water supply.

Who's had Kobe beef and what cut would you recommend?

I usually get ribeye when I buy steaks as I find it good value for money but on this one I'm after the best stuff to celebrate a birthday.

Also I'm planning to put it on a cast iron griddle on the hob, unless someone has a better suggestion?

Had it in Kobe. Was nice, but maybe overrated. I would imagine a cast iron griddle would mimic the hot plate they were frying on quite well.

We'll see if it's overrated. In life you should always try things at least once I think (if you can) :)

Thanks everyone for the advice and comments.

I'm thinking quality meat could be a good christmas present for my folks

I love beef wellington and have made it before, but if I bought something like

Please enable your cookies

I could give them two and keep two for myself and partner.

They do a lot of 4 pack things, so it'll be a good way to build them a hamper whilst having some for myself :)

Just spent best part of an hour reading everything on the Donald Russell website. I could quite easily drown in my drool now

We ordered a 5 bone rib for Xmas day. We had quite a few for dinner and everyone said it was the best meat they had ever tasted.

Of course the chef had some input :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom