1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Known Sony KV-32FQ75 problem - check yours!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MarkB, Oct 10, 2001.

1. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'd like to draw your attention to a problem I've got with my KV-32FQ75 TV, and I'm not the only person to have found to have this problem.
    After almost a year I plugged my DVD player into the front A/V sockets to find that the resultant picture had big grey lines slowly moving across the screen with both the S-Video and Composite inputs (more so on the S-Video). Input to all the SCART sockets (composite, S-Video and RGB) are all fine.
    I rang up and I've got someone coming out to fix it. I found out in the nick of time – my guarantee was due to run out on the 14th October.
    I advise you to check these inputs on your unit if you own the KV-32FQ75, KV-28FQ75 or KV-36FS70.
    Mark

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have an FS70 and have noticed something similar!

When I mentioned this on a forum before, I was told about the problem that you have found with AV4. I think that the 2 problems are connected.

If I look at the picture from DVD via ANY of the inputs, you can also see the grey bands VERY feintly.

It affects the hue of the picture, so as the bands go over fless colours they sort of go a greeny shade.

Its very VERY feint, but noticable all the same.

Also, if you select an AV input which has nothing connected, and turn the lights down so that its pitch black in the room. When you look closely at the screen, you can also see the bands

The bad news is that I have had 2 FS70s and both do this.. I am pretty sure that this is a design fault.

My FS70 eventually went back and I got a refund.. i am now expecting a new one from John Lewis's next week.. If this truely is a known problem, I am hoping that they have fixed it!

I look forwards to hearing whether you get a fix for this.

Please post the details of whether the engineers manage to fix this and what they did.

Good luck

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Will do.

As I say, input from all the SACRT sockets are faultless, even fully dark. I can live without the AV4 inputs as my amp has plenty, but I thought that as it was in guarantee (just!) I'd see about getting it fixed.

I notice that if I have got something active plugged into AV4 then I can see the lines on any input – very faintly as you say.

What made me test this was that someone wrote into a magazine recently (within the last couple of months) complaining about the problem. I cant remember which mag as I buy loads, most likely HCC / What Video / What Hi-Fi. I'll try and dig it out.

Good luck with your new unit.

mark

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    If you can dig the info out, that would be great!

I would like to know what was said.. But more imporantly, I would like to know if you get this fixed.

When you reported the fault, did they know what you were talking about? DId they say that it was a known problem?

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I had a look and my and can see something similar to what what you say.

But my bads are very feint and are diagonal. But they do scroll from left to right.

When you say that this is a 'known problem', does this also mean that there is a 'known fix'?

Jon

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I seem to remember that the reply in the article I read said that this was a problem with certain units which made me think that it is more common than we might think, and also known by Sony. What I'll do is ask the engineer when he/she comes.

Mark

7. EddyC

EddyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed this effect (specifically, scrolling lines on AV4 with no input connected) on a friend's KV36FS70. He bought his unit at the end of July 2001. However, I bought one myself about two weeks ago and it seems to be fine.

So, either this is something Sony now fixed on new models or else it only shows up after a while...

Eddy

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just to let you know, the engineer will be coming Wednesday. I'll post my findings.
    Mark

9. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The engineer called as promised – I plugged my DVD into the AV-4 S-Video input and sure enough there were the bars.
    After moving the centre speaker, turning the amp on and off & changing input he stated that he had not seen this before and that there was nothing he could do on site. He said that he would have to contact Sony Technical, and the unit would probably have to go back to the workshop.
    So I'm waiting for him to ring back and arrange to take it away.
    Mark

10. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    TV taken today (Monday 22nd Oct) at 12:30. :(

11. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Keep us informed of what happens.

I was looking at KV32Tweak today and there are several other people who have the same problems.

I am now extrememly worried about my FS70, as I have recieved another new one and this has a problem too...

12. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    How many is that now that you've had?

I'm not sure if i'll want to go Sony next time. Might go for a 36" Toshiba.
    Mark

13. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    Loads!

My first one in January was fine, but it had a minor fault, so went back and got destroyed on route.

Then I had 2 more which were 'used' (i.e covered in fingerprints)

THen I got a refund and started again with John Lewis.

That one was the best of all (Even though it also had fingerprints all over it)

But after a few hours it broke and I couldn't switch it on.

The one I have now, as a slight focus/convergence/geometry/staining problem in the corner which I am going to call on engineer out for and see what he says.

To be fair, I have only had one with a real fault.. The others were either destroyed in transis, or 'used'.

I know what you are saying about the Tosh, but before I ordered my replacement FS70 from John Lewis last week, I too a dreamcast down to Currys to check out their 36" Toshiba.

I wasn't impressed..

The RGB performance wasnt' as good as the Sony and you got colour bleed on reds.

But the worse problem was the 'staining'.. When there was a white screen, there were patches of light blue on the screen.

I still believe that out of the 36" models, the Sony is best. But its far from perfect!

Even if my small problem is diagnosed to be un-repairable I get offered ANOTHER replacement.. I would still go for the Sony.

The Tosh looks nice, but after what I have seen, i am rightly concerned!

14. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I won't buy any TV with a worse picture that I've come to know from the Sony. I'd dearly love the KV-36FS70 and to be quite honest I can't really understand why I didn't buy it. I'm not unhappy with my FQ75 but things should be better when we are buying top of the line equipment.

15. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +639
    I have to say though, that I have seen much better pictures on the 32" models than ANY of the 36"ers.

Whilst I like the bigger screen, I sometimes wondered if I should have gone for a 32 inch model instead!

I do get the feeling that current technology isn't quite ready for 36" TVs.

16. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Interesting thought. I've seen both side by side but it was in the local Hughes and it makes me wonder sometimes if the units are set up to their best potential.
    mark

17. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    3 weeks now and still no sign. Been onto them, hopefully they will be getting back to me tomorrow. Got 21" blues. :(

18. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

19. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It finally came back yesterday (03 Dec 2001), the fault is gone. Actually, if you have a completely black screen, with the room completely darkened you can still see it, but it is so feint that I doubt it would be noticeable if I wasn't looking for it.

Being without the TV for 6 weeks has been hell, I have not watched any DVDs since it went.
    So glad to have it back.

Mark

20. j3t

j3t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem :(

2 Grey vertical bars going across the screen on any of the SVideo inputs on dark backgrounds - its very irritating,

From what Im reading it may be a known fault on Sony W/S Tvs. I have an engineer coming to visit on Saturday, I could most likely ask for a replacement TV but how can I be sure the next one wont be the same?

As much as I love the tv, I cant have these problems with it so will be forced to look for an alternative if this is the case :/

21. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    In all honesty, it seems that the other manufacturers all have problems of one type or another too. I suppose all you can do is keep asking for replacements until you get one you are happy with.

Keep us informed of your story.

Mark B

22. MalcolmL

MalcolmL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem on all inputs on a new KV32FQ75 bought in September. After checking this forum I logged it with Sony who came and checked it and in turn blamed the DVD player (Pioneer DV55) which works fine with other TV's. Realising I was being messed about, I escalated the problem with Sony who are now adamant that it is an 'RF Breakthrough' problem caused by the cable. At considerable cost I replaced all cables with high quality ones and the problem has disappeared on all inputs except the SVideo.
    Sony are coming to take the TV next week but have already stated that they don't believe the set is at fault. I'm tempted to give up and live with it. In all other respects the set is excellent.

23. Berisford

Berisford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I too have managed to clear the problem but for the S-video AV4 input.

Despite a fancy (expensive) lead the problem persists.

I agree with you, the set is a great piece of kit but for the travelling lines on AV4 DVD input.

Let us know how you get on.

BJ Nottingham

24. Roy B

Roy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had the 28fq for just over a week now and i get these lines on every input and also when watching normal tv.also got a reddish green tinge on the left hand side of the screen,a thin black horizontal line bang in the middle of the screen,some faint transparent vertical lines on the left side and last but not least a geometry problem with the left side of the text curving inward.for the £1250 i paid for this i expect perfection not this faulty rubbish.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been reading this thread concerning the Sony KV32FQ and hope nobody minds my posting about my KV28FQ instead on this thread.

It arrived on Thursday, was set up by the installers from John Lewis, and by Friday I was spending HOURS trying to get the picture set up correctly without success.

In certain lighting conditions - that is, the lighting where the film or whatever is being made, inside or outside - I get green blotches on skin tones, sometimes red blotches also. I have tried everything to get rid of this, every combination of settings possible under "Personal Settings" in Picture Control, AI off and on, noise reduction on different levels, digital mode changed, colour tone changed etc.etc. - and whilst it improves slightly it is still there to the point where I now notice it so much the TV has become unwatchable for me.

Is this me? What What Video and TV writeup gave this modem 10 out of 10 with "pictures good enough to make Vincent Van Gogh blush". He'd blush all right - with shame.

Is there anything more I can do to overcome this problem? It occurs on terrestrial feed, Sky feed, AV1 and AV2 - whatever combination I use, it is still there. I have Sky attached to AV1, Panasonic DVD recorder [the new one that reads and writes] to AV2.

Or should I just contact John Lewis and ask them to come and take it away and ask for money back?

Interestingly, now I come to think of it, when I was in the shop somebody else was just purchasing a discounted "customer returned" television of this model . . .

For a great looking and sounding TV, it is such a shame. Any comments? I'm not technically minded at all.

With many thanks.

Carol Hartford

26. Roy B

Roy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree it is a great looking and sounding set but when i watch mine now i find myself looking for all the faults and not watching the tv at all.someone from sony centre is coming round on saturday to look at it .i going to give one replacement a go and if that has any of the faults mine has at the mo them im going to get a refund.

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been on to John Lewis, who couldn't have been more helpful. Their technical service dept said it's far from unusual for them to have to replace new televisions, and offered me a replacement immediately.

I have asked them to come and install a replacement this week, but to wait whilst we check it properly together. If it still shows the same problem, then I'm afraid it's refund time and I shall start looking for a different TV, bearing in mind all the problems mentioned on this forum.

It's a shame - the problem only occurs on skin tones, and then only on some programmes - but it's unwatchable when it does because it is so obvious. It's OK to be watching X Files with green blotchy faces, sort of goes with the programme really, but when the newsreader on the Six O'Clock news has green blotches where shadows should be, it is very offputting! If this was a cheap £200 portable I wouldn't bother, but this is supposed to be good quality.

28. stupidmop

stupidmop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i also have a sony kv32fq75 which also displays blotches more red than green and is more evident on digital sources dvd itv digital. mine can actually be seen on non moving objects such as walls which is worrying as well as appearing pinkish on peoples faces. engineer came out and initially dismissed it but after some choice dvd moments admitted defeat. now have to decide on replacment or refund, would like to know, if anyone does, is this normal on this telly does anyone display digital sources without these blotches?

29. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    [Reply to e-mail from Karl]

Dear Karl
    No problem mate.
    The problem was as you describe: vertical bars bobbing up and down and going from left to right in dark images. It was a problem on my unit when using the front S-Video and Composite video connectors. When these were attached the bars were visible an all inputs including RGB SCART.
    I phoned my supplier 1 week before the warranty ran out and they arranged for a repair company to collect it and fix it.

When the unit came back I tested it (with the service guy still about) and the bars were almost gone; they were only visible in totally black images and only if you were right up to the screen.
    All seemed ok but recently I have noticed the same now with one of the SCART inputs (AV2) but it does not appear all the time.

I asked the TV repair man how the TV was fixed, but in all honesty I really don't think he knows. They had the TV for 6 weeks.

I hope that helps. I'll post this on the forum as well.

Mark

30. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you happy with Sony ?????

Bluestu on another thread has kicked off complaints to BCC's Watchdog after he had three faulty Sony sets.

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I've completed the online form at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/

It only takes a couple of minutes and the more of us that do it the quicker we'll get this sorted.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unquote

Come on guys, let go for it these few days....i.e. email BCC's Watchdog.

We have given SONY long enough and they have tested our patient to our limit with their denials and also wasting our time (waiting for engineers who can do nothing, dealing with retailers, waiting for delivery, phoning their Customer Service which annoys anyone who bothers to ring up etc)

Please send an email asap to express your feelings. Together we should move things forward and get Sony to wake up. Thanks