Knowing actual ping in multiplayer games

Sniper Ash6

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know about everyone else but it would be great if game developers would put an option to show the ping you have in multiplayer to the host

whether it is on the scoreboard or in the options menu to be put somewhere it would be great

i have never liked the green, orange and red bars you get as they are all comparitive in that what counts as green and how good is green as there must be limits and values for the changes

Anyone agree with me or am i alone in hoping for this feature?

No

I think this would be a great idea Ash. As consoles edge closer to PC-type performance (though let's not stir that one up, or Razor will be after me!), it makes sense that we get the same kinds of tools that PC gamers get, such as being able to search for games with a decent ping.

I think if it was present, but an optional feature, everyone would be kept happy - your average gamer could just jump into any game they wanted, whereas the more hardcore gamer could pinpoint the games that would suit them best.

that is exactly my thinking

by having it as an option is does no harm and itsnt hard to implement

the majority of 360 MP games have a bar next to your name showing your connetion - that shows your ping but for each different bar there has to be different values and it effectively saying "If between x and y then show orange", "if above z show red" and "If below p then show green" so instead there could be an option to just put the raw number there

and yes console games are catching up on PC games - the clock is ticking for the entry of Mr Pad :D

It's the whole thing about MS not wanting to scare the casual audience though. Numbers scare people, and I reckon MS want as few of them on screen as possible. Personally, I like 'em (numbers that is), but people have always said I'm a bit strange like that.

It's the whole thing about MS not wanting to scare the casual audience though. Numbers scare people, and I reckon MS want as few of them on screen as possible. Personally, I like 'em (numbers that is), but people have always said I'm a bit strange like that.
hi, Charlie Eppes didnt know you were in our midst ;)

i dont see the problem if its an option - there could be the simple explanation like o most options and for those that dont care or dont want it there then it can be off as default and on for those that choose

One thing that slightly annoys me is when the developers use those bars for things other than the connection and people get confused and start moaning when you dont have green and they think it is a bad connection when it's something completley different.

R6V and R6V2 had a fantastic hosted lobby with coloured pings. If you get rid of a Red ping from the lobby then the game was 99% lag free.

Other games such as CoD and Halo 3 have the pings, but not being able to boot players makes it stupid. You need a host that can get rid of laggy players, why should 10 players suffer because 1 player has a :censored: connection.

The people out there with crap connections will moan, and some hosts abuse the system and boot players to load teams (this is why you should only be allowed to boot at lobby and not in the game), but we need control over who we play with.

One thing that slightly annoys me is when the developers use those bars for things other than the connection and people get confused and start moaning when you dont have green and they think it is a bad connection when it's something completley different.
any examples of that?

R6V and R6V2 had a fantastic hosted lobby with coloured pings. If you get rid of a Red ping from the lobby then the game was 99% lag free.

Other games such as CoD and Halo 3 have the pings, but not being able to boot players makes it stupid. You need a host that can get rid of laggy players, why should 10 players suffer because 1 player has a :censored: connection.

The people out there with crap connections will moan, and some hosts abuse the system and boot players to load teams (this is why you should only be allowed to boot at lobby and not in the game), but we need control over who we play with.
theres a lot of talk about that for GoW2 on their forums of good connection people play together and bad connection people play bots - which is just unfair on those that have crap connections

they want an option to see the ping in the lobby and quit with no penalty if its gonna lag which is stupid

id justrather see actual numbers than colours/bars

theres a lot of talk about that for GoW2 on their forums of good connection people play together and bad connection people play bots - which is just unfair on those that have crap connections

they want an option to see the ping in the lobby and quit with no penalty if its gonna lag which is stupid

id justrather see actual numbers than colours/bars

If the dev chooses suitable colours for suitable ranges you are fine. You will get muppet hosts that will boot you for having a ping of 70ms which is perfectly fine for MP just because the others have a ping of 25ms as they live 5cm away from the host. As long as you have a sub 150ms ping the connection will likely be lag free.

ye but whats green on one game may be bad for someone or whats bad on one game might be good on another

its all relative and comparative but we have to standard of which to compare to - thats why numbers are easier

any examples of that?

Race pro is a good example when you look at the players list it is green when you are on the track, Yellow when you are in the pits and Red when you are in the menu and not anywhere on track. It had TVR_Fan confused for a few races thinking it was someone with a bad connection when they were just in the pits.

I agree that numbers are easier than a bars, the lower the better. For example L4D on the PC now has numbers and bars but they show the players average ping, this can be a little annoying as when you first join a game your ping can be around 200+, after about 20 seconds it will settle to around 50.

Meanwhile my net_graph ping will say that I have a ping of 50 the whole time, when servers or admin's see your 200+ ping they will sometimes kick you without seeing what it really is.

Race pro is a good example when you look at the players list it is green when you are on the track, Yellow when you are in the pits and Red when you are in the menu and not anywhere on track. It had TVR_Fan confused for a few races thinking it was someone with a bad connection when they were just in the pits.
lol, that is a strange thing

i nearly played race pro but i rented it and it didnt work

I agree that numbers are easier than a bars, the lower the better. For example L4D on the PC now has numbers and bars but they show the players average ping, this can be a little annoying as when you first join a game your ping can be around 200+, after about 20 seconds it will settle to around 50.

Meanwhile my net_graph ping will say that I have a ping of 50 the whole time, when servers or admin's see your 200+ ping they will sometimes kick you without seeing what it really is.
As long as people think about how the game works it should be fine, but yes, some people just dont understand about lag and latency. On the reverse of your example are people that join with good connections, but once in-game they start up their pr0n downloads / lag switches and and it's hard to spot with the current systems of who's actually got a good connection.

Personally i think numbers would be more useful than coloured bars, as often you have no idea what the numbers are behind the bars. Also it would be great to have a connection history of users - see if they get suspicious spikes right when combat heats up and so on...

logging it could well be used for cheat detection for M$/publisher but i doubt it would be public log viewing

having a number would be great though - if people want to have DLs running inthe background and they lagits their own fault and we could see who that is via their ping

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom