Know anything about 360's video scaling capabilities, (i.e. with dvds).

Rob20

I was watching the dvd with the 1st issue of the unnofficial XBOX 360 mag, where a guy from Microsoft talks about the scaling chip in the 360. This chip will take the standard def signal, (like the 480p from a dvd), and convert it into high def progressive signal, (not sure whether that's 720p60 or 1080i60 or bioth!?). Question is, is it likely that'll do a better job than the scaler in my Toshiba HDTV? :confused:

GJD

I was wondering about this too. I'm on the fence about getting a 360 from launch.. Will it upscale DVD's to 720p?.. would be nice. Will it play my existing XBOX games in 480p/720p as my soft-modded machine does? If so I'll drag my a*se into town and trade my XBOX and Gamecube (plus various games) in now against a pre-order. Still set on keeping my PS2 just to play GT4 though.. can't bring myself to part with it yet.. what can I tell ya.. I'm a petrolhead!

drskhaled

Novice Member
My moneys on no upscaling (call me a pessimist),guess we'll have to wait and see

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
it'll play them back in 480p (576p if MS have done their PAL homework)

There is no chance they'll upscale to 720p as that requires the use of a protected digital output (i.e. HDCP), which the 360 does not have. So it'll be your standard progressive player only

dllord

Novice Member
The 360 just does 480p, which is a shame! i wish it could do 720p as well!

GJD

What about the (original) XBOX games, do you think you'll be play them in 480p / 720p ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom