1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

know any mid range amps for £400???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ice_cool, Oct 15, 2001.

1. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know any good amps out there for a mid range setup? I'm looking to spend about £400 and want 5.1/DTS and about 90w per channel to go with my eltax speakers.

I'm looking at the yamaha dsp-ax620? Looks good and performs well. It has good big connections for all the speakers! Are there any reviews anywhere for this?

Or is Sony, Denon (pricey), etc.. any good for mid range amps? I've been trying some out, but a review showing several mid range amps from several companies would be great for comparing!

If you know an url, please help

thanks

ice_cool

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. garry_brock

garry_brock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Iv'e just become the proud owner of Marantz SR5200 (£399), and have to say that i'm really pleased with it.

The lower model in the range (SR4200) has been praised in recent press, but i went for the 5200 purely because of its 7-channel input (will poss get a DVD-Audio deck one day)

It can be had for as little as £348 at empire-direct.co.uk, but I think they are currently having stock troubles.

Definately one to audition anyway.

good luck..

4. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    Sevenoaks in Sheffield had a Denon 2801 for £450 in their stock clearance last week, might be worth checking out a branch near you, as its well worth a listen, i nearly plumped for it myself, but in the end decided to forget about the sub for now and put the extra to a better amp.

Ian
    ian@miniholics.co.uk

Experience is recognising a mistake when you make it again.

5. saggu1

saggu1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a proud owner of the yamaha 620rds..

all i can say is 'WELL WICKED MATE'..

what hi-fi amp/reciever for y2k!!!,,
    October 2001 edition me thinks

nuff said geezer!! :eek: :eek:

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: Meluv DaPunani ]

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Meluv what happened to your AX1 mate!

7. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Bought a Yamaha DSP-AX620 a few weeks ago. Fantastic! I tried the Marantz SR4200, but thought that as good as it was, the Yamaha beat it easily. I scouted around and Richer Sounds have the best deal, at £300. Would leave you some change there too.

9. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm curious, in what ways did you feel the Marantz was better than the Yamaha?

I should point out that I don't own either of these models, but am in the market for something similar and would welcome any and all opinions.

10. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hard to put my finger on really. I bought the Mission Cinema 72 A/V speaker package at the same time and thought the Yamaha just sounded better all round. It could just be me though. Maybe it just suited the acoustics of my pain-in-the-arse room better. Both the Yamaha and the Marantz are brilliant, with both multi-channel and 2-channel sound. Either one would be a flawless purchase in my eyes, and it took me a while to make my mind up. But in the end the Yamaha was just better in my environment and with my other stuff, especially with my Pioneer DV535 DVD player... Both are worth auditioning.

Maybe it wasn't as easily beaten as I first said. Must learn to control myself.

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: pointon ]

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: pointon ]