Knocked up HD DVD - 360 issues

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by captainH, Sep 20, 2007.

1. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Received this a couple of days ago and just tried to play it and it either will not read or locks up the whole system. Livid!! :mad:

I'm hoping it's just a bad disc although there are reports of lock-ups and stutters from several users over at AVS.......

Possibly another COM or Smokin Aces dodgy release for me. Multiple copies of those titles sent back and never had a working one.

2. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    nooooooo don't say that , i just got this yesterday :thumbsdow i'll have to try it when i get home :thumbsdow

I never had a problems with my add-on playing smokin aces , hopefully this will play just aswell

3. Spidey987

Spidey987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    I've had no problems watching the movie on my 360 drive. I've found the download center a little problematic though but even with that, a restart seems to do the trick.

4. BIGRED

BIGRED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    My copy works fine , even tried the online side of things , just wondering though when you download stuff where is it stored ?

5. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I just hope it's a faulty disc then. I'll watch the rated version on SD as the wife is desperate to see it then send it for back for a swap.

6. Spidey987

Spidey987

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +236
    It's stored on the add-on. I think it's about 190MB of storage, which is enough to download everything on the disc but it'll soon mount up, so it's best to delete the videos once you've watched it.

7. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Just an update on this issue in case anyone else sees it. It would see it's all caused by that stupidly large cookie that's loaded when you first put the disc in.

When I first got the disc I sat there for about 10 minutes looking at the "loading" screen, eventually assumed it was broken and rebooted my "locked up" 360. Subsequent loads then just dropped me back to the dashboard after a few seconds.

It would seem that if you don't let the load finish the cookie gets corrupted. I have deleted all the HD DVD data, reloaded the disc, let the cookie download (only about 3 minutes this time) and now it works okay :thumbsup:

Subsequent plays don't need this initial load time.

8. irascian

irascian
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302

I'm sick of all this online nonsense. When I insert the disc I do NOT want to have to wait 10 minutes staring at a "Loading" flash which then freezes and requires rebooting and manually deleting "Unknown" files before going through the whole wretched process again to watch the movie I paid for.

If I hadn't already hit this same problem on the second Heroes disc and had someone here talk me through the Recovery process I too would have sent my disc back.

The whole web online experience is a joke and should be far more resilient than it is.

9. captainH

captainH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    I totally agree. There really needs to be some kind of warning about this as it's a ludicrous system. At least let me watch the damn film without downloading the cookie. All this exclusive online content is a lot of rubbish really.

10. eternaldark

eternaldark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    theres no reason why they couldn't make the cookie load in the background - afterall the first time you put in the disc its to watch the movie!!

So why not have the cookies download in the background and after you've watched the movie the online bits ready to go.