Knives Out Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
It's Rian Jonson, so I am very interested to see if his extremely divisive take on Star Wars has an affect on the film's box office. Probably not! But whether you like or hate Last Jedi, it is a fact that it has alienated the vast majority of its core fans.
/rant mode

Solo didn't suffer because it was an awful film (I liked it to be honest). It suffered because Star Wars fans didn't go to see it. More importantly, they didn't go to see it 3 or 4 or even 6 times. That's what true Star Wars fans do. What's really telling is that not only is the Last Jedi merchandise still sitting on shelves in clear out warehouses. But Rise of Skywalker merch is already being marked down. I've seen this my self. It's gotten to the point where Jar Jar Abrams (I love that name) is now pleading with them to come back.

I'm not a proper Star Wars fan. I thought the first half of a New Hope was pretty boring. I agree that Emprire is the best (or at least a tie with Rogue One). To me, Return of the Jedi which was my favourite as a kid is now just a kids movie. But I still follow the rantings and ravings of the Fandom Menace because for the most part they are right.

/end of my own rants and ravings.

I will almost certain see this film (not at the cinema of course) because it does look very interesting. But if a non Star Wars "fan" feels like I do then as I said, it will be interesting to see the numbers at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it on Wednesday and it was alright, but felt like a Netflix film and it isn't nearly as clever as it thinks it is. 5/10 from me.

Great and nicely researched review.

Saw this yesterday afternoon at our favourite spot (which might have done it some favours) but a 9/10 from me. Found it refreshingly good fun and, not really being that into this genre, it had me confused and intrigued all the way. I also enjoyed that it had a subtle touch of Wes Anderson about it. I really enjoyed all the performances too.

Maybe I was just in the right mood, but one of my top films of the year.

It's Rian Jonson, so I am very interested to see if his extremely divisive take on Star Wars has an affect on the film's box office. Probably not! But whether you like or hate Last Jedi, it is a fact that it has alienated the vast majority of its core fans.
/rant mode

Solo didn't suffer because it was an awful film (I liked it to be honest). It suffered because Star Wars fans didn't go to see it. More importantly, they didn't go to see it 3 or 4 or even 6 times. That's what true Star Wars fans do. What's really telling is that not only is the Last Jedi merchandise still sitting on shelves in clear out warehouses. But Rise of Skywalker merch is already being marked down. I've seen this my self. It's gotten to the point where Jar Jar Abrams (I love that name) is now pleading with them to come back.

I'm not a proper Star Wars fan. I thought the first half of a New Hope was pretty boring. I agree that Emprire is the best (or at least a tie with Rogue One). To me, Return of the Jedi which was my favourite as a kid is now just a kids movie. But I still follow the rantings and ravings of the Fandom Menace because for the most part they are right.

I will almost certain see this film (not at the cinema of course) because it does look very interesting. But if a non Star Wars "fan" feels like I do then as I said, it will be interesting to see the numbers at the end.
You could say that that the Star Bores Fanatics have their Knives Out for Rian Jonson :rolleyes:

Boom Tisch, Thank you, I'm here all week - please remember to tip your Waiters!

I look forward to this Movie at some point - it has me intrigued except for "That Accent" from the Trailers :D

You could say that that the Star Bores Fanatics have their Knives Out for Rian Jonson :rolleyes:
I'm guessing that title was his intention after all the stick he received for apparently destroying Star Wars.

I look forward to this Movie at some point - it has me intrigued except for "That Accent" from the Trailers :D
If you are talking about Mr Bond, it isn't the first time that he has used an accent like that in film.

I like the genre and so will check it out at some point. The last I enjoyed was The ABC Murders short series with Malkovich.
Johnson does trouble me though, as he seems stuck in the middling ground and is feeling as though he won the golden ticket to keep getting gigs. He needs a strong editor by his side to set him straight.

/rant mode

Thanks for your review of Star Wars.
I might be wrong but I believe there's another thread for that.

The very first film was called "Star Wars". The "New Hope" was tagged on later. I don't think the forums were around then. But you are most welcome to go back in time and create one.

The very first film was called "Star Wars". The "New Hope" was tagged on later. I don't think the forums were around then. But you are most welcome to go back in time and create one.
Done.
That was a real waste of my one trip back in time, though.
I was planning to kill Hitler so, since I did this favour for you, could you swing by 1930s Germany for me?

Done.
That was a real waste of my one trip back in time, though.
I was planning to kill Hitler so, since I did this favour for you, could you swing by 1930s Germany for me?
Naa mate. Got better things to do :)

Not seen it but I'll bet it's better than The Last Jedi. But then again

Infinitely better than the Last Jedi, really enjoyed it.

Any episode of Eastenders is better than The Last Jedi :rotfl:

Most here will mention or compare this film to his SW film simply because SW is a massive brand and RJ's brand is lower than a grasshoppers knee after his useless episode.

What an absurd and meaningless comparison. Utterly different genres, completely different filmmaking priorities, totally different experience. I think if your opinion of TLJ affects your attitude to seeing this, you maybe ought to reconsider what kind of a movie fan you are.

Regardless of what you thought of his Star Wars outing, I thought he's made a great film here. I hear it's doing ok at the box office too.

very enjoyable romp, Daniel Craig seems to enjoy these quirky roles,he was having a ball in lucky logan too.
I was kept engaged all the way through & nice to see that Ana De Armas was more than a bit part, it was basically hers & Daniel Craig’s film.
good stuff...around 7.5/10 from me.

Thanks Cas. I was going to boycott this when I saw who the director was, and if it hadn't been for your review....and that the wife wanted to see it, I would have. I'm not sure which one of you influenced my decision to go more:D
It was a fun movie, but I'm still not forgiving the potato headed childhood thief for TLJ.

Took my Mum to see this tonight seeing as we both love a good “whodunnit”. Mum’s a lot more clever than me (what Mum isn’t?) and figured out the culprit before the reveal. We both thoroughly enjoyed it and laughed out loud a few times. 8/10 from me. 9/10 from ol’ Mum.
Not sure why this is relevant but I’m 33 and me Mum is 59.

Wasn’t sure about this when I saw the trailer. If I still had my unlimited card I may have given it a try, but will wait until it comes to Sky/Netflix. I do think the ‘From Rian Johnson, writer and director of The Last Jedi’! on the trailer is a bit of a marketing faux pas, as I’m sure it will put some people off seeing it.

Saw it at the cinema recently and enjoyable as it was afraid the hype and star content had me hoping for more. Also the shadow detail at my local multiplex was terrible.7/10

Back from a marmite experience tonight. Had someone snoring behind me, sound leakage from the next door screening and some constant chatter behind my ear which I eventually turned around and let out a uncontrollable shush during the films climax I was so enthralled. The film never hit me for 6 but was enjoyable. Daniel Craig surprised me, could have easily been cheesy but the put on accent worked well. Cant see much replay value but for £6 vue prices well worth a watch. Felt like a Wes Anderson film but not quite as good.

Last edited:
Fun film but the "mystery" is totally obvious and cuts through all the false motives and plot twists. It does that thing where they give everything away in the throwaway bits of the film and then refers back to the bits you're supposed to not have paid any attention to. Sloppy writing.

6/10...actually 7/10 because the cast and acting out of the story is entertaining.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom