Knight of The Old Republic won't work

tcrumpen

Standard Member
hi as the title says KOTOR won't work with win 7, it comes up with an error message and forces me to close it, i have look around for a fx, but none worked can someone help me please

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Have you installed and run it using the compatibility mode in Win 7?

Access from right-click on a file and select properties then the compatibility tab.

tcrumpen

Standard Member
forgot to mention that yes i have done that and tries running it in admin mode still nothing, reinstalled it and nothign, was thinking of sendin g amessage to steam with pics of the eprob see what they say

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
What OS did you used to run it on that worked?

Also, if it says on the box 'Works with Windows XP' it's nobody's fault if it does work on Windows 7.

tcrumpen

Standard Member
yea i can post the prob and it does say for xp but i;ve heard people say taht it works on cvista and i have SEEN someone with windows 7 playing it.

prob;

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: swkotor.exe
Application Version: 1.0.3.0
Application Timestamp: 402bc2d9
Fault Module Name: StackHash_be9b
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: be9b
Additional Information 2: be9bf493184e8a1cc6dbc11c84c53984
Additional Information 3: a099
Additional Information 4: a0997196efb56d84f9f4ce5a43974546

tcrumpen

Standard Member
tried that fix, as i said i've tried every fix i could find (inlcuding that one) and it didn't work

tcrumpen

Standard Member
no i haven't how does it work is it like what mac people use where you have another operating system on top of your main OS someone care to explain?

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
no i haven't how does it work is it like what mac people use where you have another operating system on top of your main OS someone care to explain?
If you have Windows 7 Pro you can download a pre-built virtual XP PC to run programs which aren't compatible with Vista/7.

If you have Home Premium, you can still install Windows Virtual PC, but you will have to install your own version of XP within the virtual machine.

It's all explained in the link above.

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
If you have Windows 7 Pro you can download a pre-built virtual XP PC to run programs which aren't compatible with Vista/7.

If you have Home Premium, you can still install Windows Virtual PC, but you will have to install your own version of XP within the virtual machine.

It's all explained in the link above.
... or VirtualBox.

Personally I found it more useful/feature rich than Virtual PC. The auto-attach USB feature is wonderful!

MooMooCow

Any chance you were using thw widerscreen fix?
What card you are using? i have Steam version which did encounter stopped working when i was using windowed 8800GTX. Using Window 7 Ult 64bits

tcrumpen

Standard Member
Any chance you were using thw widerscreen fix?
What card you are using? i have Steam version which did encounter stopped working when i was using windowed 8800GTX. Using Window 7 Ult 64bits
not using widescreen fix, can't even get to the main title screen, my grpahics card is a Nvidia 8500 GT, Win 7 Pro 32 bit

MooMooCow

For time being all i can suggest is these

1.KoToR Crashes before it starts in Windows 7 - Steam Users' Forums

2.Verify cache, swupdate.exe, replace the dll from here Fix for Knights of the Old Republic – Windows 7 - thegalacticstruggle.com

3.disable all movie or fiddle the setting in ini or try this
FullScreen=0
and add
AllowWindowedMode=1

or

Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

4.update your driver or downgrade to older versions

Kaorimoch said:
OK, I seem to have solved my problem. I don't know which solution worked, but I tried two things on my system and it only crashed once in 15 hours, allowing me to finish the game.

1 - I went into Administrative Tools - Services - Windows Firewall and Stopped the service, and then I right clicked on it, clicked Properties and disabled it from starting next time Windows reloaded. I then restarted the computer.

2 - I put Kotor into Win98 compatibility mode. Upon entering the game and loading a saved game, the game crashed to desktop. I then disabled Compatibility mode and re-entered the game.

After these 2 things, it worked fine! See if this works for you.
pretty sure it's the dll problem, sorry if those listed doesnt help :( tired and got work in 6hr havent slept

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom