1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knackered tape?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by MrSafety, Jul 27, 2004.

1. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Canon MV20 digital camcorder and over the weekend I made my first attempts to capture video from tape onto my PC and edit it. The tape in the camcorder was the one I had been most recently recording onto and was 3/4 the way through. So, I set the camcorder to rewind and it rewound for about 10 seconds and then stopped and the message "Eject cassette" came up. The camcorder wouldn't let me do anything else to the tape - record to it, rewind it, play it, nothing. Only option was "eject" which I did. I then re-inserted the tape and got the same "eject" message. I tried other older tapes and they rewound and played fine.

So, I have a tape which seems "stuck" and I don't know what to do. Is there anyway to manually rewind the tape - perhaps it is just tight and needs a helping hand to get past a certain point? I have flipped up the little tape cover and the tape doesn't appear broken.

Any ideas?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    I assume this is a DV tape! If so you can rewind it by hand by doing the following:

Have the sprockets facing towards you.
    Have the tape access cover at the top.
    In the centre towards the bottom is a rectangular hole.
    Press a pen etc into this hole and then with another pen/small knife etc turn the sprockets to rewind the tape.

If the above fails, then yes the tape is :censored:

Mark.

3. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers! It worked... Must have been a one-off at a specific part of the tape. I can now play/rewind/etc with no problem

thanks a lot