Klipsch RP-4000f v Klipsch RP-600m

Ruby

I'm trying to decide between the Klipsch RP-4000f and Klipsch RP-600m for my left and right speakers in a 5.1 set up. I don't have much space width wise, and these two models are some of the only speakers that will fit in the space that I have. If I were to choose the RP-4000f floor-standing speakers, they would be pretty closely sandwiched between a subwoofer and my AV stand (with about 5cm on either side and about 15 to 20cm behind). With the RP-600m bookshelf speakers, they would be sitting on stands which would raise them just above the height of the subwoofers, which means they would much more space directly behind them. So with regards to the rear ports on either model, I'm not sure which one I'd be better off with.

Other factors include that the centre speaker I'm likely to get is the Klipsch RP-400c as it's about the only speaker in the Klipsch range that will fit in my AV stand (where the shelf height is about 19cm and is rated to hold a maximum weight of 10kg - although I don't know how much leeway AV stand manufacturers allow with these weight figures). Also because the RP-400c is only about 15cm high, I would have space enough to tilt this centre speaker upwards, so that the tweeter fired directly towards my ears in the MLP. Would the RP-400c be a better tonal match for the RP-4000f speakers?

On the flip side, I've also heard that because the RP-600m has a bigger waveguide, it can produce a larger soundstage than the RP-4000f.

Any help deciding would be most appreciated.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Well RP-400c and 4000F uses identical drivers so in that sense they are matching - not that it would be required. The 4000F are very expensive as are all Klipsch RP models in UK.

Do you have space width and depth wise? The RP-400c looks underwhelming, keep in mind center channel is the most active speaker in your system. I would swap the 400C to 404C and choose the RP-600M as mains as you get better speakers for less (599£ vs. 819£). Then add cheap 60cm tall stands like Fisual Dynami Duo.

Would this combo work? Height wise the 404C is almost identical to 400C just the width and depth is greater.

Last edited:

Ruby

I can get either model for a similar price on the second-hand market, but is the RP-600M a better speaker than the RP-4000F (putting price aside for the moment)?

The RP-4000F would have about 5cm space either side, and depending on how far I pull them into the room, they'd have a narrow corridor of about 15 to 25cm behind.

With the RP-404C, I could fit it my AV stand. I'm just a little worried about the weight (12.7kg) as the shelf in question is only recommended to hold a maximum of 10kg.

Also, what's the difference between the rp404c and the rp440c?

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I can get either model for a similar price on the second-hand market, but is the RP-600M a better speaker than the RP-4000F (putting price aside for the moment)?

The RP-4000F would have about 5cm space either side, and depending on how far I pull them into the room, they'd have a narrow corridor of about 15 to 25cm behind.

With the RP-404C, I could fit it my AV stand. I'm just a little worried about the weight (12.7kg) as the shelf in question is only recommended to hold a maximum of 10kg.

4000F plays little lower, but for AV system with subwoofers this is quite meaningless as the difference is so small. 600M has higher power handling and slightly higher sensitivity requiring less power power. 4000F won´t be bass heavy speakers, they should be able to work close to boundaries fine. If the price is same then you basically get the towers cheaper as you require stands with 600M. If you also prefer the look of the towers more over 600m+stands then i think the choice is clear.

One would assume there is little extra margin in those weight recommendations. The 404C is newer version similar to these main speakers you looking so if you can afford it i would get the newer one. I can`t fully remember what changes they made, but there is some audible difference reported.

Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member

Which do you prefer more 4000F or 600M?

Ruby

Which do you prefer more 4000F or 600M?
Whichever one would sound better in my room (picture below of rough layout). What do you think are the pros and cons of each model, and which one do you think would sound better in my room?

PS. I would be using 2 Monoprice 10inch ported subs in this setup.

Attachments

• Current Room Layout.jpg
    Current Room Layout.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Whichever one would sound better in my room (picture below of rough layout). What do you think are the pros and cons of each model?

PS. I would be using 2 Monoprice 10inch ported subs in this setup.

I listed some pros for the 600M over 4000F. I know most folks prefer the look of floorstanders over bookshelf+stands and buying something you aren`t sure with might give you buyers remorse later.

Which av-receiver model you have?

Looking your plan to place the subwoofers in front corners and if you sit 3-4m away from front wall means you get quite nasty null around 45-55hz if you also sit fairly centre and not close to either side wall. To get best response with the couch about 4meters away from front wall while MLP being the middle seat of couch the 2nd sub should be placed diagonally opposite rear corner. So one sub front left corner and 2nd sub rear right corner.

Ruby

I haven't got a receiver yet but have my eye on either a Denon x6400h or x6700h.

When you say to put the 2nd sub in the opposite corner, do you mean right in the corner at the other end of the room (as it's quite far from where I'll be sitting).

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I haven't got a receiver yet but have my eye on either a Denon x6400h or x6700h.

When you say to put the 2nd sub in the opposite corner, do you mean right in the corner at the other end of the room (as it's quite far from where I'll be sitting).

Yep that is what i tried with REWs room sim and it showed great response. Both those Denon models have MultEQ XT32 which sets each sub distance (delay) individually, starting from X3700H upwards so the subs doesn´t need to be equidistant from listeners. I assume you are building 7.2.4 system and want one box solution as for looking 6000 serie Denon? Otherwise X4700H would do fine too (even X3700H if you don`t need Auro 3D/Auro upmixer)as you can still power 7.2.4 system with these two just by adding 2ch poweramp. X6400H is out of warranty so it´s little bit riskier option, but if the price is good? 6000 range is made in Japan if that matters, however it still uses same DAC and capacitors as 4000 range. Power figure wise alone spending 650£ more for 6000 over 4000 wouldn`t be ideal. X6700H adds 13.2 processing and DTS:X Pro. You are also very close to Marantz SR8015 price wise which is slightly beefier version of X6700H. I see the beauty of one box solution for 7.2.4/7.2.6, but typically you would have more expensive set of speakers too.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom