• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Klipsch RF speakers THX?

Andiush

Established Member
Hi all,
My system consists of Onkyo TX-NR808 receiver, Sony BDP and Klipsch Reference series speaker package - RF62 towers, RC52 centre and RS52 surrounds. As far as I know, these Klipsch speakers are not THX certified. However, after moving some furniture in the room I decided to go through Audyssey calibration procedure once again and was surprised to see that RC52 (center speaker) was recognised as THX speaker. It was 70 hz before, just like surrounds. Front speakers are still 40 hz. I'm totally confused and not sure if I should save it or restore previous settings manually? Is it Ok to have only 1 THX speaker? Any advice appreciated.
Mods - I think I'd rather move it to the AV receivers forum, however can't find the "archive" button...
Cheers!

Last edited:

Dolus

Prominent Member
I have the next Onkyo model up from yours the TX-NR809 and a complete set of THX speakers and the receiver or Audyssey does not recognise the speakers as THX.

I assume your centre speaker is set as 80Hz(THX). That is just letting you know that 80Hz is the crossover setting recommended by THX, not that the speaker is THX certified. After running Audyssey the crossovers for all my speakers are set at 40Hz and I raise them to 80Hz.

Somewhere between THX and Dolby it was decided that 80Hz was the best/optimum crossover point between speakers and sub woofer for all types of speakers not just THX (assuming the speakers can go to or below 80Hz).

As a footnote Audyssey recommends that while it is OK to raise the crossovers after running Audyssey they do not advise lowering the crossover to 80Hz if set higher.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom