Question Klipsch RB-41 II vs Polk Audio RTI A1 vs Audioengine A5+

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by fenderon, Jun 29, 2015.

1. fenderon

fenderon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I need help looking for a budget bookshelf speakers mostly for listening music but also for watching movies.
    I already have a sub - Polk Audio psw-110.

The listed above are the best match for me in perspective of price and availability and I will be happy to be wiser listening to your opinions.

The room size is 3 X 3 meters and the receiver is Onkyo TX-SR313.

I'm listening mostly to electronic music, sometimes into soft rock and rate times progressive rock.
    I'd be happy to get the most accurate and natural sound.

I got many personal recommendation on the Audioengine but the reviews on the Polk Audio seems highly rated.

Thanks a lot !

2. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    These three speakers are not directly comparable as they serve different purposes. The Klipsch and Polk speakers are traditional passive speakers that need to be driven by an amplifier whereas the Audioengine are powered speakers, i.e. they have in-built amplification, so are fed a line level analogue signal (e.g. from a TV, CD payer, etc) and most definitely not connected to an amplifier's output.

As you already have the receiver, I imagine you'll want a passive speaker.

3. fenderon

fenderon
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

I know the specs differences. The A5 are also can be used as connected to a receiver, but lets say it's their passive version - AudioEngine P4.

I mostly wondered for the sound properties differences, personal experience, etc.

Thanks again :)

4. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Yes, I suppose you could connect powered speakers to the pre-amp outputs of the receiver but, by purchasing the A5+, you would be wasting money on amplification you don't need. Make use of the receiver's power amplifier stages by purchasing a passive speaker and you'll likely get much better audio quality for the same outlay. For me, that rules out the A5+.

I'm a little unsure as to how you're going about this proposed purchase. Not that you have to do it this way but most folk set a maximum budget then attempt to purchase equipment that suits them best and is within budget. And for best audio quality, avoid buying features and facilities you don't need - unless you have specific needs for such products.

Can't help with sonic differences between the speakers you mention as I've not heard them, however, I doubt any of the three mentioned would be near the top of my list to investigate.

5. dogfonos

dogfonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    A few alternative suggestions:
    Q Acoustics 2020i & 3020 & Concept 20
    Wharfedale Diamond 2020
    Dali Zensor 3
    Tannoy Revolution DC6
    Monitor Audio Bronze BX2