Klipsch R120 SW Blown Sub?

Cleansound89

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a 1.5 year old Klipsch R120-SW Subwoofer. It has been absolutely amazing this far. Only needed to have gain on 25% to get amazing, accurate bass.

I unplugged the subwoofer in a bit of a panic when I dropped some water on it. Water only went on the wood part and not on the speaker itself.

After plugging it back in, there was hardly any bass. The sound was "boomy" and had no defined base. It still produces sound but it sounds horrible.

Its plugged into the same Yamaha 5.1ch receiver with a QED subwoofer cable. I've unplugged, switched everything off and on again to no avail.

I'd really appreciate some advice/suggestions.

Thanks

Unlikely that anything has blown if you've just spilt some water on the surface, providing nothing got into the electronics, which sounds unlikely from what you've described.

Did you just unplug it from the mains, or pull the mains lead out of the back of the sub in a bit of a panic? ............ if it's the latter, possibly you knocked some of the settings.

Did you disconnect all the leads from the sub? Have you connected everything back the way it's meant to be?

Unlikely that anything has blown if you've just spilt some water on the surface, providing nothing got into the electronics, which sounds unlikely from what you've described.

Did you just unplug it from the mains, or pull the mains lead out of the back of the sub in a bit of a panic? ............ if it's the latter, possibly you knocked some of the settings.

Did you disconnect all the leads from the sub? Have you connected everything back the way it's meant to be?
Thanks for your response.

So I did indeed pull out the power mains in a panic. And the sub might have been powered on at the time.

I disconnected all leads and set the phase back to 0, crossover to 100Hz. Checked the receiver settings - they're all the same (Small front speakers, Crossover 100 Hz)

I agree it sounds like you have knocked something on the back of that sub

When you say you set the sub back to 0 what was it on.

I don't no that sub what other setting have you got on the back of the sub

Just by chance you have no moved it in to different position at the same time or your seating position ?

Thanks for your response.

So I did indeed pull out the power mains in a panic. And the sub might have been powered on at the time.

I disconnected all leads and set the phase back to 0, crossover to 100Hz. Checked the receiver settings - they're all the same (Small front speakers, Crossover 100 Hz)
OK, so firstly the crossover on the actual sub shouldn't be at 100Hz, move it to LFE (all the way to the right) the crossover is carried out in your AVR and have you connected it to the Top Red (LFE) connector?

OK, so firstly the crossover on the actual sub shouldn't be at 100Hz, move it to LFE (all the way to the right) the crossover is carried out in your AVR and have you connected it to the Top Red (LFE) connector?
Omg. I only learned today that there is an "LFE" setting all the way to the right on the Sub's cross over. (Face palm) Thank you so much. Sub is back to normal.

Hi guys. Thank you all for the quick responses. I didn't know that the Sub also had to be set to "LFE" on the crossover. I assumed the Sub overrides the receivers crossover setting (My bad). Sub is back to its normal punchy self! False alarm.

Hi guys. Thank you all for the quick responses. I didn't know that the Sub also had to be set to "LFE" on the crossover. I assumed the Sub overrides the receivers crossover setting (My bad). Sub is back to its normal punchy self! False alarm.
Every day's a school day :thumbsup:

Glad it's all back to normal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom