Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 - Sound only out of R. Speaker when low volume...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bobly, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bobly

Bobly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I finally received my new speakers for christmas, and after hesitating between the Bose Companion 3 and the Klipsch I ended up going with the brand I hadn't heard of before (not as big over here as in the US from what I hear) and I have to admit I have been overall pleasantly surprised.

I got the Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1 speakers, which have really good sound, especially compared to the cheap speakers I had before, however I noticed that when the volume is low, the right speaker is a lot louder than the left.

Here's what my basic troubleshooting has worked out:
    I have swapped around both speakers and cables, the problem is definitely somewhere between the Line In cable and the output port to the left speaker.
    On very low volume, both speakers will have the same volume, however as I increase it the left speaker remains at the very low volume while the right on increases. This continues until just above normal listening volume when the left quickly start to catch up until they're both playing as loudly.

The problem with this is that I don't want to have to be listening above normal listening volume to be able to get stereo sound :p

Is it likely to be a faulty sub or a fault in the whole range of products? (I would guess the first from what I've heard about Klipsch but meh, I dunno).

Any help much appreciated :) It was bought from a reseller on Amazon.co.uk and I only have 3 days from day of receipt to inform them of any problems with the product :p

Best regards,
    Bobly

Edit: Before you guys ask: I know multimedia speakers aren't anywhere close to being the best, and I could have got better for the same price, but portability was also an issue. I wanted something small, easier to carry around, yet fairly powerful. ^^

Edit Edit: I've had these for about 6 hours now and a house mate came in to see them and when I showed him the problem he just went "Why don't you just turn the volume on the speakers up and the volume on your laptop down?"... Well that effectively fixed it from a practical point of view, though I'm still interested in knowing if this is a fault that needs repairing or not :).

2. Spaceritual

Spaceritual
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oddly enough I too have chosen the Klipsch speakers from Amazon after nearly going down the Bose route . I love the sound and clarity they bring in conjunction with my Xfi Fatality sound card , hearing things on recordings I have never noticed before . hopefully the volume tweaking you have done will solve your problem .

The only thing so far i haven`t sussed is where to register them in the Uk as it seems the USA is the only place you can register?

3. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +249
    Sounds to me like there's something wrong. The gain on left and right channels should be the same irrespective of the input level.
    I'd report the problem and get a replacement.

4. Bobly

Bobly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe that's what I was thinking too...
    I wonder if I can convince them to send me a replacement unit before I return the old one... Some companies do that, and if you don't send it back within a week they charge you or something... I can't go back to laptop speakers after having had these XD

Edit: Well I called the reseller who confirmed they were under a 12 month guaranty so I'll just send it off during the Easter Holidays while I'm away anyway so I won't find myself without speakers :).