• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Klipsch in wall centre channel with freestanding setup?

TheTomCutler

Novice Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to start putting together a Klipsch Reference Premier 5.1 system and have an issue with centre speaker (in that I'm not allowed to have one - nowhere to put it/ugly if I do) so am looking into an in-wall option.

Has anyone an opinion on the pro-6504-l-thx being suitable or will we have issues with timbre matching? I see that Klipsch are releasing some new in wall RP models this year - any insight about as to whether something that fits the bill will be released or would the smaller R-5502 or pro 250rpw be passable?

The room is going to be relatively small for a home theatre, 5x3.5x2.5m (~16x12x8') and is going to have to fit around the living room furniture. Looking at 260Fs, 15" sub and not sure what to do about surround speakers - these are likely going to have to sit behind the listener rather than to the side and be on a shelf, perhaps the RP150 or 160? Aiming for a Denon x3300w.

Any help would be appreciated.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Depending on how far apart the fronts will be and how central you sit to the TV you may not need a centre at all. It may even be better to not have a centre than have a poorly matched one.
Have you considered having in wall speakers for all the front 3? Or maybe even all 5?

TheTomCutler

Novice Member
The two fronts would be just over 2m apart, either side of a sofa (retractable screen will be above and behind it. Viewing sofa would be opposite this one and around 3-4m from the screen) hence not having anywhere to put the centre, unless the centre could be placed on the floor?
As I likely won't be in this property for ever I would prefer to have a system I could easily move to the next place. I could consider an all in-wall system, my partner would certainly be happier with hidden speakers.
I see mixed reviews of in wall systems, I'm no real audiophile so would I be missing out on much?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You can get some really good quality in wall speakers. The only downside is that they tend to not be good at bass but in a multi channel system with a sub this is not really an issue.
Given your layout I would suggest you do not need a centre given how close the front speakers will be together. So I would be tempted to do that as opposed to a poorly match or positioned centre. It will also save you a little money on having to buy a centre and also paying more for an acoustically transparent screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom