Klipsch Image X1 or Sennheiser CX-300II/CX-400-II?

sunnysunnysunny

Hi guys,
I was almost set on buying the Klipsch Image X1 (the S2) from Amazon because of the high reviews until I saw the WhatHiFi review which only gave it 2/5.
Their Best Buy for headphones under £30 is apparently the Sennheiser CX-300-II, which gets more mixed reviews on Amazon but WhatHiFi give 5/5. Should I go for these earphones instead of the Klipsch?
Also, I noticed on Amazon that there was a Sennheiser CX-400-II for a few quid more...is this any different to the CX-300-II? Couldn't find any clear answer to this anywhere. :confused:

Sorry about the load of questions, just completely baffled right now about what to buy.

Many thanks,
Sunny :)

Hockeynut

I've never heard either, but the technical difference is:

300's
Code:
Frequency response (headphones)	19 - 20000 Hz
Impedance	16 Ω
Sound pressure level (SPL)	113 dB
Jack plug	3.5 mm (angled)
Cable length	1.2 m
Transducer principle	Dynamic

400's
Code:
Frequency response (headphones)	17 - 22000 Hz
Impedance	16 Ω
Sound pressure level (SPL)	114 dB
Jack plug	3.5 mm (angled)
Cable length	1.2 m
Transducer principle	Dynamic

On paper, the 400's have a bit more range. The 400 also comes with a Cable winder and a Cable clip.

PocketBunny

I have been using the CX 300 Mark II for a while (im on my second pair cos i trod on my first) and i am very happy with the sound quality of them, for the price that is asked for them.

It's worth shopping about for them, as I have seen them as low as £15 on play.com.

sunnysunnysunny

So there's no point buying the Klipsch Image X1?

If I do go for the Sennheisers, I'd like to go for the CX-400II as they seem to be the "better" headphones, but on Amazon they are as cheap as the CX-300II's :confused:
I'm concerned that they may be fakes (the Marketplace sellers have them at around £20, whereas Amazon themselves have them at £36.99). :rolleyes:

Last edited:

PocketBunny

I havent had experience with any Klipsch product so i cant really say. I did call Hi-fi Headphones store yesterday and found them to be really helpful (im currently looking for some new full size headphones). Told me what alternatives i should be looking at in my price point, and which are better for the type of music i listen to.

Would seriously recommend you give them a call.

Headphones & Earphones | Headphones for iPod, MP3 player and Hi-Fi, including wireless headphones, running headphones, DJ headphones and more from Sennheiser, Grado, Shure and the best manufacturers.

SBDJ

Standard Member
I had this same dilemma a few weeks ago. Always been a Sennheiser fan and had countless ear and headphones over the years.

Decided to give the Klipsch a go as they seemed a good buy on Amazon and have to say I haven't been disappointed. Very comfortable for long periods and very pleased with the sound although they needed a bit of running in.

Rumours used to go round that What Hi-Fi would give the big name manufacturers and brands that supported their magazine good reviews. In the 80s Mission speakers would always get top notch reviews for instance and people say that Ipods get better reviews than they deserve There probably is no truth in this but I have always regarded their reviews with a little suspicion

sunnysunnysunny

I had almost settled on the Sennheisers, but I had a sudden change of heart and just ordered the Klipsch Image X1's from Amazon... :D
I'll post what I think of them when I get them :thumbsup:

sunnysunnysunny

Received the headphones this morning, loving them already :thumbsup:
Bass is great, not overpowering, treble is a little muffled atm but hopefully that will sort itself after some running-in...not a big issue though, overall very pleased :)

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom