• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Klipsch Fives?

majkom

Is anyone using these for cinema? I do consider buying soundbar samsung q70r, but found these klipsch... are they any better for movies than that soundbar?

and few other questions:
1. Does Fives have eArc??
2. I would like to mount them - any recommendation for wall mounts?
3. If klipsch are better than q70r, are they much better (they cost twice the prics of q70r)...

any opinions are welcome:)

Pauel

A bit late, however, I hope it will be useful.
A couple of months ago I was happy, but now I started to hate these speakers despite their sound which is good.

1. Wall-mounted - to me, sounds a bit weird, because of the rear port. Speakers hum when are close to the wall even in Bass Cut mode.
2. eARC - Fives has a single HDMI which is connected to the HDMI Arc of the TV
3. HDMI - at some point, probably, after the update, I found that the auto-on stopped working. The only case when it works is when there are no other sources connected to the Fives. Probably a bug.
4. Looks like the HDMI connection makes the sound worse, even if I use, say, Phono input.
5. Subwoofer - requires Bass Cut, which requires the firmware update, which leads to the issues with the HDMI.
6. Both Dynamic EQ, Flat EQ hum in a small room, which leads to Bass Cut ... HDMI issues :)
7. Subwoofer makes the loud BOOM when the TV is turned off. Sometimes the same issue when I press a pause on the TV's RC.
8. The speakers have a DSP-engineered sound, which leads to a bit muffled voice especially when the speakers are used for cinema. The solution is to connect a sub with the Bass Cut enabled...
9. The speakers are full of bass and the subwoofer(SB-1000) always creates issues with that part. So, either don't use HDMI or don't use it for the cinema, just for music content with the Bass Cut.
10. I tried to put an acoustic cloth into the port. I used a pair of clean white wool socks.

After exercises with the socks, I decided to replace these Fives with the more classical solution - a dedicated receiver with passive sealed speakers.

So, what I think at the moment - these speakers a little bit buggy and definitely over-engineered.

Upd: I would tell that these speakers should not be used in the tiny room as mine one. They just require enough space behind. If I fixed these bass issues I would not sell them.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom