Klipsch bar 54 = Cinema 1200 (Sept 2020)?

CalPhil93

Well, it seems like the release keeps getting pushed back and it almost certainly will not have DTS or LPCM support. No reason to hold out for it. Bummer
Ooh, this is me!
Was very sad to hear, as I'm overall pretty disappointed with my SN11RG, in part due to a slight but constant white noise from the rear atmos speakers but also because the bass is just really lacking depth and precision, which is where the Klipsch looks like it was going to excel.

Now I've got to decide between the Q90R or the Q950R - reviews seem so mixed on the latter, with some saying it's a slight improvement over the Q90R, and others saying it's notably worse.

BeefS2

Ooh, this is me!
Was very sad to hear, as I'm overall pretty disappointed with my SN11RG, in part due to a slight but constant white noise from the rear atmos speakers but also because the bass is just really lacking depth and precision, which is where the Klipsch looks like it was going to excel.

Now I've got to decide between the Q90R or the Q950R - reviews seem so mixed on the latter, with some saying it's a slight improvement over the Q90R, and others saying it's notably worse.
Thanks for reaching out to the rep, even if it’s disappointing news. Info on the cinema 1200 has been scant.

There’s a couple threads here on the q950t. I’ve been debating about it. Overall the consensus here is the sound improves on the q90r, which I have. The eARC isn’t working correctly with the current firmware and it doesn’t seem to process lpcm 7.1 very well at the moment. Both should be fixed via a firmware update, not sure when that’ll be. The price has started to drop in the US. If it sounds amazing and can process dts I might give it a shot for the right price. Not a big fan of Samsung though.

CalPhil93

Thanks for reaching out to the rep, even if it’s disappointing news. Info on the cinema 1200 has been scant.

There’s a couple threads here on the q950t. I’ve been debating about it. Overall the consensus here is the sound improves on the q90r, which I have. The eARC isn’t working correctly with the current firmware and it doesn’t seem to process lpcm 7.1 very well at the moment. Both should be fixed via a firmware update, not sure when that’ll be. The price has started to drop in the US. If it sounds amazing and can process dts I might give it a shot for the right price. Not a big fan of Samsung though.
No worries, can never speak too highly of how helpful Richer Sounds are either!

Hmm that's interesting, as it's 2 problems I wouldn't experience as I won't be using eARC and pretty certain all my movies offer Dolby or DTS audio tracks, so I shouldn't need LPCM either!

Thanks for the recommendation of the other owners thread, I'll have a gander now :)

jackpack

Novice Member
I've yolo'd an order for the Cinema 1200 now from Analogue Seduction. Seems like they are the only ones which have it in stock? Hoping I'm not being a sucker and ordering something which will be delivered in a few months...

CalPhil93

I've yolo'd an order for the Cinema 1200 now from Analogue Seduction. Seems like they are the only ones which have it in stock? Hoping I'm not being a sucker and ordering something which will be delivered in a few months...

From the information we've got, I really do think that there's no units of this system available anywhere - Klipsch themselves don't even have the soundbar on their website :/

But will be interesting to hear what Analogue Seduction have to say!!

jackpack

Novice Member
From the information we've got, I really do think that there's no units of this system available anywhere - Klipsch themselves don't even have the soundbar on their website :/

Ouch. Doesn't sound too hopeful. Will keep you posted.

BeefS2

Yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s no units in the US either. One site lists 10/16 for expected date, but I don’t think that’ll happen. Crutchfield listed 11/27 which seems more logical. At this point, I don’t think I’ll get it if there’s no dts or lossless audio support anyway

jackpack

Novice Member
Yeah, I’m pretty sure there’s no units in the US either. One site lists 10/16 for expected date, but I don’t think that’ll happen. Crutchfield listed 11/27 which seems more logical. At this point, I don’t think I’ll get it if there’s no dts or lossless audio support anyway
Even without DTS, I thought it would come with Dolby TrueHD. Am I misinformed on this?

fandibus

Wouldn't it be borderline unrealistic to expect the Cinema 1200 to only support lossy Dolby Digital Plus?
Not really. By not supporting DTS they’re clearly positioning this as a soundbar for internet streaming content and not for personal media collections. I wouldn’t expect them to support TrueHD but not DTS.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Gaming consoles will be sending Dolby MAT (PCM with Atmos metadata). Lack of LPCM support means this bar will be a no go for those with gaming consoles doing Dolby MAT

jackpack

Novice Member
Not really. By not supporting DTS they’re clearly positioning this as a soundbar for internet streaming content and not for personal media collections. I wouldn’t expect them to support TrueHD but not DTS.
Please excuse my noobie ignorance, but what would be the point of selling an eARC enabled soundbar if it didn't use any of the eARC features? If it was purely a soundbar for streaming, then just supporting ARC would've been enough no?

fandibus

Please excuse my noobie ignorance, but what would be the point of selling an eARC enabled soundbar if it didn't use any of the eARC features? If it was purely a soundbar for streaming, then just supporting ARC would've been enough no?
Exactly. That's why we're all confused. Though just because it supports eARC doesn't mean it has to support all the features of eARC. The Sonos support eARC but doesn't support DTS. It currently doesn't support LPCM either but they say an update is coming.

The product information doesn't mention TrueHD. And any contact anyone has mentioned from Klipsch has said no DTS and no LPCM. I've emailed Klipsch myself and haven't gotten a response.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Klipsch 3.1ch 600 Cinema bar videos are out in YouTube. 10 inch sub on this. Finish and build quality looks great No mention of supported audio codecs though.

BillRawles

The 800 and 600 are up on the RS site. Their big brother can't be far off. At least we'll have some definitive info then.

bernado

The 800 and 600 are up on the RS site. Their big brother can't be far off. At least we'll have some definitive info then.
Those 2 bars have been on RS for ages and somewhat optimistically listed as 'coming soon'!
I wish they'd just get on with it or if they can't then remove them.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The 600 series decodes just DD 5.1. This a huge missed opportunity for a speaker company like Klipsch who could have gone straight to the top with these series against competing soundbars.

JeffD

No DTS and no Dolby TrueHD has been confirmed by the Klipsch support on Facebook in a private message. They also sent the spec sheet.
I wouldn't fully trust what Klipsch support says regarding TrueHD, as that spec sheet says Atmos 7.1.4 decoding is supported, and as far as I know the only way to transport Atmos 7.1.4 is via TrueHD, as I think that would be too much bandwidth for the DD+ method.

Edit: Just tried to do some searches, while DD+ can do 7.1 I can't see mention of 7.1.4 anyway although according to Dolby Digital Plus - Wikipedia DD+ can do up to 15 channels.

Last edited:

keithwiggins

The 600 series decodes just DD 5.1. This a huge missed opportunity for a speaker company like Klipsch who could have gone straight to the top with these series against competing soundbars.
guess the answer would be not to buy it?

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett