Klipsch 500 atmos speakers 5.1.4, uprising or wall mounted

JohanV

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have the following question.
I have 4 x klipsch 500 atmos speakers and would like to know what gives the best atmos sound.
Unfortunately it is not possible to place it on my ceiling, I now have it on my front and rear speakers. I have pointed out if you raise the back a little 30 degrees instead of 20 degrees that there is already a sound improvement in it.
My amplifier is a denon avc 3700 and for the 5.1 I have elac boxes. In the picture you can see how the boxes are. Can you tell me what would sound better, leave it as upfiring or put an eye on the wall right above it.
The Audyssey data is after measurement FL -2.5 & DFL -2.0 _ FR -2 & DFR -2.5 _ SL -5.5 & DSL -4 _ SR -5.5 & DSR -5.
The crossovers for dolby are 40hz for the front and 80 for the rear.
do I still have to make some changes to these settings.
Hope you can help me with the settings.
IMG_1760.jpeg
IMG_1758.jpeg
IMG_1759.jpeg

Bump up the crossovers to 120hz for the upfiring speakers! If you have subwoofer in your system, make sure all speaker size is set to Small and crossover settings for other speakers lowest at 80hz.

Bump up the levels of the upfiring speakers by 3db for starters! So example if you have -2,0db for the atmos front left, then change it to +1,0db and if -5,0db then change to -2,0db etc. Got it?

Put some good Atmos flick which has lot of stuff happening on sky (example Godzilla II King of monsters) and tell us how it sounds!

PS. The center channel is placed in very poor spot, also with the tv table between it.. 😣 If you could install these under your tv on wall with the speaker there it would make quite dramatic change to dialogue etc.
Amazon product ASIN B076TQB1HY

Bump up the crossovers to 120hz for the upfiring speakers! If you have subwoofer in your system, make sure all speaker size is set to Small and crossover settings for other speakers lowest at 80hz.

Bump up the levels of the upfiring speakers by 3db for starters! So example if you have -2,0db for the atmos front left, then change it to +1,0db and if -5,0db then change to -2,0db etc. Got it?

Put some good Atmos flick which has lot of stuff happening on sky (example Godzilla II King of monsters) and tell us how it sounds!

PS. The center channel is placed in very poor spot, also with the tv table between it.. 😣 If you could install these under your tv on wall with the speaker there it would make quite dramatic change to dialogue etc.
Amazon product ASIN B076TQB1HY
Thnx for the information, I will change the settings as above. I think for the center I have two options I can remove the metal cylinder so the tweeter is free or I can place it on top of the furniture.

Thnx for the information, I will change the settings as above. I think for the center I have two options I can remove the metal cylinder so the tweeter is free or I can place it on top of the furniture.

Great!

Definitely move the center channel on top of the furniture, but i would also use some isolation pads under it and more importantly if you can have it at the front edge of the furniture rather than center or back toward wall then please do so! Cheap option would be buying black rubber door stoppers (2), one at each side at the front. They are angled so you will have the center channel pointing more upwards toward listener ears. You also get the decoupling effect so two birds killed with one stone.

Amazon product ASIN B074GZ223Q

Remember when you move the speaker to new place you have to run the Audussey again and also tweak the settings (levels, crossovers) again.. Painfull but worth it cause the speaker is now in poor spot.

Great!

Definitely move the center channel on top of the furniture, but i would also use some isolation pads under it and more importantly if you can have it at the front edge of the furniture rather than center or back toward wall then please do so! Cheap option would be buying black rubber door stoppers (2), one at each side at the front. They are angled so you will have the center channel pointing more upwards toward listener ears. You also get the decoupling effect so two birds killed with one stone.

Amazon product ASIN B074GZ223Q

Remember when you move the speaker to new place you have to run the Audussey again and also tweak the settings (levels, crossovers) again.. Painfull but worth it cause the speaker is now in poor spot.
Thnx I’ll place the center on top of the furniture so that the front of the center is in line with the front speakers. I have some rubbers that I can place under te center. I let you know how it sound when everything is recalibrated.

I couldn't wait I have placed the center on top of the furniture with a little angle up.
The sound from the center is indeed much better :). I have also set the crossovers from the Elac speakers to 80 ( why 80 is that because lower than that you will not hear) The sub is set to 80Hz en de level -7 ( readings in Audussey is +/- 75 db ). I must say the amaze atmos demo is a lot better :). today I'll try the Godzilla movie.
I have read somewhere if you change the angle off de front atmos speakers to 30 degrees instead of the 20 I could be better is that true?.
For now its sounds good.
IMG_1783.jpg

Nice, you can further angle the center channel more upwards if you add few bits under the front.

Not sure what you meant sub set to 80hz? If you meant LPF for LFE setting then leave that at 120hz on your receiver menu. From the back of your sub you should have the frequency knob (hz) to highest hz possible or LFE/Bypass. You didn`t say which model you have..

So i assume you boosted the level of the Klipsch speakers by 3db after Audussey? Yes you can play with the angling and it can sound better yes.

I have altered the dB of the klipsch after the audussey. I mean with sub set to 80 that the knob on the subwoofer is set to 80hz. I have attached a picture of it. So you meant to set the crossover to 180 instead off 80?

509740EF-F5B3-4AAB-8B4A-0D515E9A8FCE.jpeg
2EF7D41E-1E51-4738-930A-AE7082542B52.jpeg

I have altered the dB of the klipsch after the audussey. I mean with sub set to 80 that the knob on the subwoofer is set to 80hz. I have attached a picture of it. So you meant to set the crossover to 180 instead off 80?

View attachment 1385157View attachment 1385158
On the sub woofer have your crossover set to it's maximum. The setting on the amp should be LPF for LFE at 120hz, usually the default setting. You also have your centre on a glass shelf. Even though it is tilted up you will still get unwanted reflections of the glass surface, glass being highly reflective. Bring the speaker forward so that the front is sitting proud of the edge by around 25mm.

There's a lot of reflective surfaces in your room. Hopefully Audyssey will help in this regard.

Yep turn it to max 180hz! When you are going to do upgrade next i would consider new subwoofer (+400£) . :) It would take your system to next level, assuming your view includes lot of action/scifi type of movies/series. If you don´t crave more impact, cleaner tighter bass then just enjoy. :smashin:

PS. The +3db may or may not be enough so feel free to find the sweet spot. Some people have boosted them more, but try to get it so that it still blends nicely together with rest of speakers. Clearly there is big difference with the mix of movies. Also you can try other movies with DTS soundtrack and put the upmixer mode DTS Neural:X on from your X3700H. Also the Dolby Surround upmixer is very popular so no need to be just Atmos soundtracks..

Yep turn it to max 180hz! When you are going to do upgrade next i would consider new subwoofer (+400£) . :) It would take your system to next level, assuming your view includes lot of action/scifi type of movies/series. If you don´t crave more impact, cleaner tighter bass then just enjoy. :smashin:

PS. The +3db may or may not be enough so feel free to find the sweet spot. Some people have boosted them more, but try to get it so that it still blends nicely together with rest of speakers. Clearly there is big difference with the mix of movies. Also you can try other movies with DTS soundtrack and put the upmixer mode DTS Neural:X on from your X3700H. Also the Dolby Surround upmixer is very popular so no need to be just Atmos soundtracks..

Maybe the focal sub 600p for now it’s still good

Maybe the focal sub 600p for now it’s still good

No! Make a new thread on subwoofer section when the time is right and you got the money. :) Don´t buy subwoofer from speaker manufacturer. We can get you something much better...

But for now all good then and time to test few Atmos flicks!

No! Make a new thread on subwoofer section when the time is right and you got the money. :) Don´t buy subwoofer from speaker manufacturer. We can get you something much better...

But for now all good then and time to test few Atmos flicks!
after playing with this setting for a while I still have my doubts about the effects. i saw a movie on you tube and wonder if this is correct. there was told that after audyssey you will adjust with a db meter. if you start with setting the test tone to 75 db with the volume knob (left front speaker) and then set all other speakers with the db level so that each speaker indicates 75db from the listening position. is this story correct and if so you also have to raise the upfiring speakers 2 to 3 db higher. so that the upfiring speakers are a bit louder.

Audyssey should set all the speaker levels correctly and they should all match at the listening position. Obviously you're free to check them with a dB meter. It's not uncommon for people to raise the level of their centre speaker or surrounds to preference.

after playing with this setting for a while I still have my doubts about the effects. i saw a movie on you tube and wonder if this is correct. there was told that after audyssey you will adjust with a db meter. if you start with setting the test tone to 75 db with the volume knob (left front speaker) and then set all other speakers with the db level so that each speaker indicates 75db from the listening position. is this story correct and if so you also have to raise the upfiring speakers 2 to 3 db higher. so that the upfiring speakers are a bit louder.

The upfiring speakers may need more bumping, but ~3db higher is good starting point. So example if you got them -2db, then change to +1db. That is after Audussey run! When you run some Atmos demo which has overhead effects (make sure it´s a good one!) being played try to come closer toward speakers and listen does it sound stronger there. Many times the angle of upfiring speaker might need tweaking, like raising the back of it. Also make sure you have assigned them as "Front Dolby " in the Denon menu.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom