KK 12012 subs

starfish11

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I am sure there is someone out there who could give me some guidance, I have 2 KK12012 subs in duo stack and will be purchasing 2 more next week. Unfortunately my ceiling isn't quite 8 foot high (darn it) so I am thinking about 2 x duo stacks either side of my room or would it be better to stack 3 high and place other in corner etc or split them and use 1 in each corner . Help

starfish11 said:
Hi I am sure there is someone out there who could give me some guidance, I have 2 KK12012 subs in duo stack and will be purchasing 2 more next week. Unfortunately my ceiling isn't quite 8 foot high (darn it) so I am thinking about 2 x duo stacks either side of my room or would it be better to stack 3 high and place other in corner etc or split them and use 1 in each corner . Help

Could a moderator please move this to where the bass heads hang please

There will be many opinions on this. I think either the 2 duo stacks or if your room has the space then one in the middle of each wall. Depends on what room eq you have if any, and a bit of experimentation to see what actaully works best in your room. Either way it will sound excellent.

I sure am jealous, 44 KK's will be bl**dy awesome!!

Hah, yes there will indeed be many opinions...
I thought that part of the reason why a quad-stack worked so well was that it provided a vertically uniform source; if you were to make it two duo stacks or four separate subs then you'd be forgetting that completely so I'd be tempted to at least try two dual stacks in the front corners, then in opposite corners.

Do you really have no way of getting a bit more height?

I believe it's been stated here on the forums (but not by Ken himself), that Ken believes placing subs in multiple locations affects the transient response of the subs so that they are no longer time aligned - but that doesn't explain the QUATTRO-QUATTRO or QUATTRO-DUO setups (it confuses me, at least!).

Personally, I'd be tempted to try a two DUO setup; you'd get the extra depth of two co-located and the ability to use two locations to hopefully sort out any room issues. Although I'd be worried about placing the DXDs too far out of a corner, since Ken states that's where they should be placed; however it isn't defined how far along a wall no longer counts as being in the corner so ...

How about a DUO in two corners with EQ?

You lucky boy....can I answer your question...no..I just wanted to say you lucky boy. I am so happy with one and will aspire to two but 4, no chance for me

sergiup said:
Hah, yes there will indeed be many opinions...
I thought that part of the reason why a quad-stack worked so well was that it provided a vertically uniform source; if you were to make it two duo stacks or four separate subs then you'd be forgetting that completely so I'd be tempted to at least try two dual stacks in the front corners, then in opposite corners.

Do you really have no way of getting a bit more height?

Hi thank you for your input, I am unfortunately 2 inches short (story of my life) before you all star lol

the_dude2 said:
There will be many opinions on this. I think either the 2 duo stacks or if your room has the space then one in the middle of each wall. Depends on what room eq you have if any, and a bit of experimentation to see what actaully works best in your room. Either way it will sound excellent.

I sure am jealous, 44 KK's will be bl**dy awesome!!

Hi thank you for your input , I don't run any EQ and wouldn't know where to start any advice is more than welcome?

mikelj said:
I believe it's been stated here on the forums (but not by Ken himself), that Ken believes placing subs in multiple locations affects the transient response of the subs so that they are no longer time aligned - but that doesn't explain the QUATTRO-QUATTRO or QUATTRO-DUO setups (it confuses me, at least!).

Personally, I'd be tempted to try a two DUO setup; you'd get the extra depth of two co-located and the ability to use two locations to hopefully sort out any room issues. Although I'd be worried about placing the DXDs too far out of a corner, since Ken states that's where they should be placed; however it isn't defined how far along a wall no longer counts as being in the corner so ...

How about a DUO in two corners with EQ?

My thoughts exactly but I use to run 2 subs in each front corner and found I got much better response when moved down each side wall which is where I thought I would place 2x duo stacks. Would I benefit from EQ and how and what do I need for that?.mconfused

Eq comes in various guises. For myself i use the inbuilt eq on my av amp. Whats the rest of ur kit like?

While something like the Antimode 2.0 would handle 2 dual stacks (as far as im aware) finding something to handle 4 subs could be tricky. Unless u can splash out on a Datasat processor but ur looking at 20k! Meant to be amazing though.

My thoughts exactly but I use to run 2 subs in each front corner and found I got much better response when moved down each side wall which is where I thought I would place 2x duo stacks. Would I benefit from EQ and how and what do I need for that?.mconfused

The EQ comment was more aimed towards that there may be boundary reinforcement issues (boom) from corner placement (as with any sub).

I know Ken recommends corner placement, but I don't know how moving them out of a corner effects them and if you can't EQ all those subs, is this outweighed by better placement? I guess if you can correct a subs position to tame any room issues before EQ then all the better.

mikelj said:
The EQ comment was more aimed towards that there may be boundary reinforcement issues (boom) from corner placement (as with any sub).

I know Ken recommends corner placement, but I don't know how moving them out of a corner effects them and if you can't EQ all those subs, is this outweighed by better placement? I guess if you can correct a subs position to tame any room issues before EQ then all the better.

Ok I see, would anti mode make any difference? And I suppose I would need 2units (1 for each duo stack)

2"? Couldn't you just cut a hole in the ceiling??? Or dig out the floor? Another option would be to "stack" them horizonally along the floor against a wall - from the room's point of view just as good I would think.

Ok I see, would anti mode make any difference? And I suppose I would need 2units (1 for each duo stack)
The Antimode Dual Core will allow you to calibrate 2 subwoofers. If you treat each stack as a single sub, you could use one unit. You will need to connect the DXD-12012's by XLR cables from the Dual Core and then also daisy chain them with an XLR cable.

There is a chance that using 2 Anti-Mode Dual Cores and connecting each subwoofer separately could be better, but it will take more time/effort and manual setup to get it right.

mat@hifix said:
The Antimode Dual Core will allow you to calibrate 2 subwoofers. If you treat each stack as a single sub, you could use one unit. You will need to connect the DXD-12012's by XLR cables from the Dual Core and then also daisy chain them with an XLR cable.

There is a chance that using 2 Anti-Mode Dual Cores and connecting each subwoofer separately could be better, but it will take more time/effort and manual setup to get it right.

Hi matt only problem with that is each stack is on opposite walls and daisy chaining would pose a nightmare long XLR so will be running each stack independently from 2subwoofer out connections from processor, I am aware that the processor will still treat it as 1 but just seems easier to hook up, looking forward to getting those other 2 subs from you next week pal

Doomlord_uk said:
2"? Couldn't you just cut a hole in the ceiling??? Or dig out the floor? Another option would be to "stack" them horizonally along the floor against a wall - from the room's point of view just as good I would think.

Yeh GF just thinks your amazing as she now has ideas of putting scatter cushion on the and having more seating,,,,, cheers for that one pal lol

Doomlord_uk said:

Now digging a 2 inch deep square hole seems interesting but not as easy as it sounds, although we are decorating the room this weekend and new carpet going in but then we have concrete floor oh decisions. Does it matter which corner the quad stack goes??

It does in theory though? When you measure the room response it's in relation to your listening position, so a different response could occur depending on this relationship?

I vastly simplified the positioning process of my 808 - there's only one corner of my lounge that it could go in:).

Hi can you please give / tell me you room dimentions cheers:)

It does in theory though? When you measure the room response it's in relation to your listening position, so a different response could occur depending on this relationship?
But that aside, a Quattro stack can be used in any corner - which corner would be up to you.

I vastly simplified the positioning process of my 808 - there's only one corner of my lounge that it could go in:).
I put my 12012 in one of the two places it will go in my room - between the front right speaker and the centre speaker. I didn't bother to find out which of those two positions gave me the better response, I just placed it and off I went - great results - EQ'd or not :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom