Kitejumpers Garage to Playroom / HC Project

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by kitejumper, Sep 3, 2007.

1. kitejumper

kitejumper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, been having a quick lurk recently, but now things have changed!

Ok. The builder is currently cutting a doorway through to my garage as part of my garage conversion project. The wife and I were talking about getting it done and circumstances led the builder to being available to start the job today as opposed to end of November! So the room is to be a playroom for the kids (one 2yr old, one 4 months and me 34)

The deal struck between the wife and I, was that I get to install a home cinema! This is great as we love films and it’s a shame to not fully utilize the new space. So I was hoping to read all the forums, take stock, prepare and be ready to purchase all the kit for November but that’s now happening as I type at work.

So I would like to incorporate all the wiring and cables that I will need for the HC as the building work goes on as opposed to getting he conversion finished and then having to make more mess. So I feeling the pressure to know everything now and I know this won’t happen!

Now 2 get to the stage where I know about the cables I really need to know what kit I am going to be connecting to what and where!

The only solid facts I have are a £1500 budget for everything including whistles, so I am competing on time and a very small budget and reaching out to you experts.

I want to go HD for the HC and have seen the Otoma HD70 is a good 720 projector for around £650 which leaves me the £850 for HD player, Speakers, screen, amp, cables and connectors -

For the Screen I would really like a 92 inch pull down screen ( Panoview ? )

My room dimensions will be 12’-13’ by 8’. Am I right in thinking that these two will work the space provided? On my basic research I think they should. The room will have a large window in which I will put a blackout blind in front off and I would want to project on to the screen in from of the window.

For the HD player, I have seen the Toshiba E1 – good price and good reviews - around £170

For the Amp and speakers. Not an area I have delved into before with my ASDSA JVC £150 5.1 DVD player and speakers, so ideas really needed. Well I live in a new house, with small kids so never mind not having the budget; I don’t need it super loud as the walls are thin anyway. I would prefer wall mounted small but good! Speakers at least a 5.1 set up.

Main purpose of the HC is for HD movies and 360 HD gaming.

Connectors.
    I would like to use HDMI from HD source to projector,
    For the 360 I would like to continue to use the optical output

So that’s really the sum of my wants and known’s! I am open to all suggestions, esp. the pre construction cabling requirements. Naturally I want to maximise the budget to get the best HC experience my budget cam muster and I know it’s a tall order. Can you guys help?! There are so many combinations and choices and reviews its nuts, I don’t have the budget to go full 1080 but for the money 1500 should be enough to get a good experience in room of 13 x 8  Cheers for reading . Ill stick sonme pics up of the work as workn in progress thread ( well that’s if you chaps woul like that! )

2. dbs2

dbs2
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    Hi :hiya:

Are you after new Kit? or have you had a look at the trading forums as there is some excellent kit there for a snip !!

3. kitejumper

kitejumper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,
    I suppose I have only being looking at new kit so far, as its been discussed in all the other forums. I 've just had a quick mooch , but to be honest I cant tell the DVD's from the AV;s! If the best bang for my buck woudl be for pre-owned kit then I would consider it. For the HD source I was thinkning of using my 360 with the HD dvd add on - but with 2 fails since I bought the 360 i wouldnt want that risk.

Cheers
    KJ

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,076
    That would be great, and you can use this thread if you wish as i will change the title. However for the other question's you are really best asking those in the specific forums :)

5. cybrey

cybrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Have a word with the user called direkt2u ( Walter) he supplied me with the screen I'm currently using and I've been very impressed with it. ( Mines a 92" also although its electrical). I'd buy the projector first though, get it installed and see what size of image your projecting onto a blank wall (or sheet) before buying a screen, nothing worse than buying a screen and finding out your having to jump through a whole heap of hoops to get a picture that is compromised.

Good luck with your build.

Incidentally, I don't think your budget is realistic..

"£850 for HD player, Speakers, screen, amp, cables and connectors - "

Taking away 200 quid for the HD player leaves 650, another 150/200 quid for the screen leaves 450 for Speakers, speaker / video cables and amp. If we take the usual ratio of 10% for cabling ( 150) that leaves you 300 quid for speakers / amp.

6. kitejumper

kitejumper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up on that chaps, so look out for the posts in the respective forums. The budget as is tight but I am sure I can get what i am aiming for with a little time and research. I ll post up a few pics of the conversion in a few days when there is some good progress.

Cheers
    KJ