Kitchen Waste Disposal Units Anyone?

Bobdk

Established Member
Reaction score
Now that many councils are giving out another bin for food waste have any of you considered getting a waste disposal unit? If so any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hadn't thought about it before but am renting a flat at present that has one and have used it almost daily.

Definitely considering one when I sort out the kitchen in my house.

The one in the flat is an Insinkerator and has done the job so far.

Quick read up suggests if you have lots of pipework to the main drains, especially with bends, then get a fast one so it grinds waste as small as possible.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the newer InSinkErators as a couple of houses ago there was an older model fitted. It worked well and was used regularly. Now with all the regulations and another smelly bin I think I will have one installed in my current home. The new InSinkErators are supposed to take chicken bones as well so I think I am decided already, just depends on available space now.

I-s-e are the ubiquitous makers of these devices. Even the smallest one available 30 years ago was claimed to handle chicken bones. (I fitted one in our last kitchen around that long ago).
Our council now ask us to wrap food waste in newspaper and pop it in our green garden waste bins. They do supply a small caddy (with degradable liner bags you buy) but we just use papers.

The thing that is driving me is that my sister has one of these little grey boxes that she kept outside her back door till the rats chewed the lid off it. She does live next to a stream and the country so it is only to be expected that rats will be about. I just dislike the idea of keeping rotting food in a box throughout the summer months. The problem I now have is that with my current kitchen I can't fit the ISE unit under my sink. This is now looking like a new kitchen as well!

We use a maxmatic unit wouldn't be without it, it grinds chicken carcasses pork bones, just about anything organic in origin. The only things we don't stick down it are things like celery and banana skins, as they are too fibrous and get stuck in blades.

We're thinking about putting one of these in our new kitchen - any other recommendations? Particualrly models - looking at maxamatic they seem to range from £220 to over £400

Update - we got the InSinkErator Evolution 200 - very pleased with it so far - extremely quiet, and very effective.

We've got the Insinkerator 65 which was the top model at the time, has been faultless since we've had it. It is brilliant. We are on bi-weekly collection and even then we don't fill our bin...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom