kitchen smart TV, chrome/apple TV still needed?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by mattg, Jun 14, 2015.

1. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi all,
    Parents are planning on a kitchen refit over the summer and so have asked me to help from a technology point of view.

They will be wall mounting the TV and getting all cables chased into the walls as part of the refit so ideally this just needs to be TV that has decent sound to fill a large room and as simple as possible to get into iPlayer/ catch up TV as it will mostly be things like watching strictly come dancing on catch up whilst cooking etc. It's just the two of them now in the house so it's more of an occasional viewing rather than getting lots of use to watch real time freeview.

They are also quite keen to be able to do screen sharing - so putting up a recipe from a website on either a macbook or ipad. Is it worth adding an adding an apple TV or chrome cast into the mix?

I know apple TV should make it easy to clone the whole screen on airplay and won't really cost too much more as they can get it linked in as part of the install, it's a complete rebuild so wires and powerpoints etc can be run. I've never used a chromecast before but does that allow screen sharing on mac's or is it just a youtube extender? That's next on my list to google.

Radio is not important as they already have a separate bose CD/radio or upgrade to a DAB as part of the

TV size: 32, 37, 40" max
    Functions - catch up TV + screen sharing + sound most important
    Budget:Flexible-> £300-500
    input devices: ipad / macbook with latest IOS/OSX etc

Ideally the solution needs to be native to the TV or very simple to get it all set up so I'm sure they're happy to spend a little more to get simplicity into the system.

Is there a forum favourite for Smart TV's and do I still need an extra device for macbook screen sharing?

Any advice you can offer to help steer my research, gratefully received!

Thanks, Matt.

2. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Chromecast vs Apple TV: The BIGGEST and BEST Compared | Know Your Mobile

So after doing a little reading on this, it looks like the chromecast might be a simpler solution as it will offer them enough screen sharing (casting) for the occasional times they need it. They use chrome on their macbook and can install it on their ipad so will be able to share the tab they want with a recipe on or the occasional youtube video if they see fit.

That leaves things like iplayer/40d to run from the TV as I doubt they'd be using their ipad/macbook to set it up.

So any recommendations for a smart tv with easy to install chromecast connection and decent speakers?

Need to get some gardening done so will have a look tonight to see if I can get to a shortlist.

Thanks, Matt.

3. cuke2u

cuke2u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Many tv's will mirror a tablet or smartphone, my ue32h5500 does it with ease, no need to have chromecast...

4. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi cuke,
    Thanks for the heads up, what phone do you have? They are an iphone / mac house. Had a play with my TV and can't find anyway of sharing beyond airplay...

What is the consensus on best smart tv a the moment, have samsung's titan implementation pushed it forward over the rest?

Easy access to iplayer/40d/itvplayer is key I think.

EDIT:
    Samsung UE40H7000 (H7000) LED TV Review | AVForums

£650

I'm so lost at the mo, is there a thread that rounds up the best smart TV's at the mo?

Thanks,Matt.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. cuke2u

cuke2u

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    Hi, I have android based phones/tablets but I am sure your apple products would mirror just as easily using smartview, or it just may well work without. My knowledge of apple products are limited to setting them up to use our email system really. I find the titan on both my TV's simple and easy to use.

6. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Hi all,
    I'm back and starting to look again at TV's. This time with a 32" requirement.

Best smart TV out there at the moment?

Thanks, Matt.