Kitchen Project

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by lsba02853, Sep 3, 2012.

1. lsba02853

lsba02853

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Greetings and Salutations.

Quick question if I may.
    We have an impending kitchen project and I'm looking to introduce a couple of small technical novelties to show the wife that this sort of thing doesn't have to be expensive/difficult.

We'll have a TV on the wall, but the main sky box in another part of the house, approx 25ft away. Now, do I simply purchase a ruddy great HDMI lead or use an HDMI > Ethernet converter such as this: HDMI Over Ethernet with IR Extender Cat5e Cat6 Only £72.99 at TVCables

Finally, I'm looking to introduce Sonos or an equivalent.
    The kitchen is 4.2m X 5.2m and likely to be where people gather for parties etc. In-ceiling speakers are preferred but I'm curious as to:

1. How do they connect? Is there a plate I need to install then run cables to the speakers?
    2. How many speakers?

Thanks for reading.

2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    For the HDMI, is that 25ft in cable distance? Or as the crow flies? If it's cable distance then you should be ok - HDMI is good up to 10m. Get a well-shielded one though. Over that, you'd be looking at the HDMI over ethernet.

If you can, run an ethernet cable to the TV too. And will you want sound from the TV to come from the ceiling speakers? That'll need more cabling.

For the speakers, you don't want any kind of plate at the speaker end - just cable ends in the ceiling cavity connected to the speaker directly.
    For the other end, where will you be housing the electronics? (Sonos and amps etc). The other end of the speaker cable needs to come out here. I'd probably run it to a banana plug wall plate.
    If you go for 4 speakers it'd look like THIS and fit on a standard double back box. If you have two speakers then you can get one with four posts, that fits a standard single back box.
    Get ones that have the binding post/banana plug type connections. (and each speaker requires two binding posts)

As for how many speakers, either 2 or 4. 2 should fine for general use, but if when you say 'party' you REALLY mean party then 4 might be better.

With 4 speakers, you'll probably need a second amplifier to do it properly. It will create a more evenly-spread sound through the room - not ad bad for loud/quiet spots because you'll have twice as many speakers, but probably end up running each one a bit quieter than you would if there are just two.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  3. lsba02853

lsba02853

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Good point regarding the ethernet cable. I knew I'd forgotten something ;o)
    The distance of the cable may well be over 10m in total. It's got to run up the wall, into a new pitched roof, down and then across another room to the Sky Box.

Regarding the Sonos side of things, I'm hoping this will suffice:
    SONOS CONNECT:AMP Wireless HiFi Player
    which should connect directly to the plate you linked to?
    In order to keep things today I'll likely just go with the single set of speakers. The Connectamp will be on display so probably best if I leave additional clutter to a minimum.

May as well run an ethernet cable to the Sonos point too, or at least another location in the kitchen.

4. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    Yes, that would connect straight to the speaker terminal plate with its speaker outputs.
    I wouldn't use these speaker outputs to drive 2 pairs of speakers, but you can easily add a cheap tripath amp for a second pair, connected to the analogue audio outputs.
    But yes, two speakers is fine and will reduce clutter.
    Look for a wall plate like the one I linked, but with just four terminals on it. This should go on a standard 'light switch' back box.

For the HDMI, it sounds like you will want to do it over ethernet. I've never looked into this sort of thing, but I believe you can actually buy this sort of thing built into a HDMI wallplate.
    This looks like what you want: HDMI Over Network Ethernet LAN Wallplates With IR Repeater Kit - AV19285 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads but it isn't terribly cheap.

5. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    If you are going to introduce a second amp then you cannot connect this to a Sonos Connect:Amp as it has no line-level outputs. You can run two pairs of 8ohm speakers from a Sonos Connect:Amp, or use a Sonos Connect (which does not have its own amplifier) running to a pair of stereo amplifiers or a 4 channel amp. In this second arrangement you will use the Sonos Connect as your pre-amp to feed and provide volume control for the stereo amps. In either case all 4 speakers operate at the same time and at the same volume level. And it can all be controlled from your chosen "flavour" of Sonos controller too.

If you are using Sonos then do also ensure you include for a stereo audio phono cable om your Sky box to your Sonos player, you can then have the audio from Sky play through your Sonos system too if you want it.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  6. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    :facepalm: I assumed there are outputs, as there's a L/R pair right next to the subwoofer out. But now I see that they're inputs.

7. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Just a note to save confusion, this is not HDMI-over-Ethernet, but HDMI-over-cat5e (or Cat6) cables. It is a direct point-to-point cable extender and does not convert the HDMI signal to Ethernet data (unlike the Just-add-Power range which does convert the signals to data that is transmitted across the LAN).

There is a sub-forum in the cables and interconnects section of AVF that includes some assured advertisers who supply this equipment, so it would be useful to post their for some specific advise. For this kind of approach you need to wire the cabling direct from transmitter to recover with no breaks (so no patching through patch panels etc), and it can be quite fickle. However as Sky is only running 1080i with stereo audio over HDMI then you are not pushing the limits of the extenders so providing the extenders deal with EDID and HDCP successfully then it should not be too much trouble to get them working..

8. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    On the older ZP100 there were both line-in and line-out connections, but when Sonos updated the player to the ZP120 (now renamed the Connect:Amp) they dropped the analogue outputs.