Kitchen Problems!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by chris101, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chris101

chris101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In 2013 we had our newly bought outdated house completely renovated/extended.

My wife was pregnant at the time and we made a rushed decision of either waiting until our children were a little older to carry out the huge amount of works or get a company to do it there and then without thoroughly researching...
    Through local recommendations, we found a company that gave us a good price and were able to start within the 2/3 months mark of the initial meeting.

It took the company around 4 months to complete the job (we naively let the owner project manage everything from submitting plans to meeting with the building inspectors) however very soon after the works were complete and we received our building reg certs, we noticed foul drain smells coming out from our newly extended kitchen/diner floor and newly created bathroom (we even have rats continuously crawling under the kitchen....)

Long story short, we had the company out many times to try and rectify the issue but were unsuccessful (We even had drain CCTV performed twice at our own costs which showed no issues).
    From August 2013 until December 2015, I had continuously tried to speak and email the owner to rectify the issue but he basically said in the end he had no other options and ways to resolve the issue.

After my last email in December 2015, I decided I cannot expect a change around from the owner and I now had to cut my loses and get a company in to rectify this problem.

Since then we have had a few construction companies in and they have advised us the flooring was incorrectly laid, issues with ventilation and the drain smells issue seems as if there is either an uncapped old unused drain or/and issues with the drain pipes.

A couple of the companies said they were even surprised that building control had signed this job off (especially when it came to the ventilation issue).

I am now thinking maybe I should find out what went on with building control as I never got to see them during their visits (both my wife and I was working) and we have heard the company owner and inspector are very good friends and may of not even made any visits that required thorough inspection...

Has anyone else been in this situation before and how would you tackle it?

2. Wahreo

Wahreo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,130
    Building control are a joke.

I once had to do an air test on a new soil stack that I installed when I converted a Bedroom to a Bathroom.

Myself and the apprentice waited in all day for the Building inspector. The husband and wife of the house I was working in were there all day too.

Towards the end of the day I phoned up the office to see where the inspector was and was greeted by his secretary. She asked me to hold and came back a few seconds later saying that he has been out and it has passed.

The customer paid nearly £400 for the building control.

I didn't have the heart to complain as they would've come down on me like a tonne of bricks.

3. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,073
    Building extensions/renovation projects require careful and experienced scrutiny by the budget holder as the building work unfolds. This is fundamental.

I have bought, lived in, renovated and sold a few houses so consider myself a little bit experienced in these matters in an amateurish sort of way.

At the planning stage of the project you made 'a rushed decision'. Also, done 'without thoroughly researching' the project. In addition, 'we found a company that gave us a good price' - presumably without getting at least three quotes from reliable builders with a breakdown of work required.

Following on from that there is the comment 'we naively let the owner project manage everything from submitting plans to meeting with the building inspectors'.

Oh dear. Without going any further I can clearly see (with my limited experience) the project already, before it has started, was very seriously flawed.

Anyway, what is done is done. Where to go from here?

What ever happens next, in the remedial line, will be expensive. I suggest, as a start, finding out what work is required to fix the problems and an estimate of the costs involved. In other words a breakdown of the remedial work and the estimated cost of each stage and a total cost including VAT. Get three estimates.

Armed with the remedial work estimates and any possible photographs highlighting the issues the next stage to consider is the small claims court.

The owner of the property will have to be advised, so sent a copy of the estimates to him/her with your intentions if you decide to go down the small claims court legal action route.

Bear in mind your building project got off to a bad start - its up to you.

4. wiz

wiz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Surely armed with the information of what needs doing and quotes of what it will cost the original builder has to be given the opportunity to put things right at his cost.

If he refuses then go down the court route

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  5. EarthRod

EarthRod
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,073
    Quite right. However the OP says:

"Long story short, we had the company out many times to try and rectify the issue but were unsuccessful (We even had drain CCTV performed twice at our own costs which showed no issues). From August 2013 until December 2015, I had continuously tried to speak and email the owner to rectify the issue but he basically said in the end he had no other options and ways to resolve the issue."

I get the impression the builder and the owner have given up on trying to fix the problems.