Kitchen Extension

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by milleniumaire, Feb 27, 2014.

1. milleniumaire

milleniumaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm about to have a large kitchen extension built, which will turn my kitchen into a kitchen/dining/sitting area.

Currently I have a 26" TV and a Sonos Play:5 system in the kitchen. The TV can be used to watch Sky and digital, but through a coaxial cable, so not in HD. I have a Sky HD box, 50" plasma and surround sound system in the lounge.

As part of the extension I want to include the following:
    - Large HD TV - at least 40", possibly larger. This would be positioned in the sitting area and will have a PS3/PS4 hooked up to it, so will be used for watching HD TV, playing games and watching blu ray DVD's.
    - 2nd smaller TV (possibly the existing 26" TV) in the kitchen area.
    - New speakers (ceiling?)
    - Sonos system

What I would like to achieve is the following:
    - To be able to use the speakers for listening to music via the Sonos system AND for surround sound when using the large TV/PS3/PS4
    - To get Sky HD on the big TV (in HD, not via a coaxial cable). The options here are to subscribe to Sky multi-room or to somehow connect the TV to the Sky HD box in the lounge to enable a HD signal.

I would appreciate any comments on the setup and any advise on how to achieve this.

Thanks.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    Stick a PLAYBAR below the TV and use Optical Out from the TV to get the TV Tuner, PS4 and SKY audio to the PLAYBAR (ensure the TV allows 5.1 from external Sources).

or

Install an AVR with conventional On/In-wall Speakers and add a SONOS Connect as a Source.

Single or dual CAT6 will cater for HD to any HD TV's - you can split the Sources or Split the AVR Out.

Joe

3. milleniumaire

milleniumaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Joe, thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry I haven't responded before now.

I'm not too fused about using a Playbar as I think the sound would be better from surround speakers, so I guess I could go with a new AV amp. I guess the problem with having the Sonos Connect hooked upto an AV amp, is that the source has to be changed i.e. it's not as quick as simply using a mobile or PC to start playing music instantly, the AV has to be turned on (if it isn't already on) and then the appropriate source selected.

Because the new room will be large (60m2) I'm thinking the kitchen area may require it's own speakers, independant of those used by the sitting area/main TV. This would allow my children to play on the PS3/4 using the TV and AV amp (possibly using headphones) and for someone in the kitchen to still listen to music. I guess this would require a separate Sonos Connect wired to the kitchen speakers, or I could leave my existing PLAY:5 in the kitchen, but it seems a shame not to use this opportunity to install some good speakers.

I will need to check out the use of CAT6 for HD. Part of the problem of this method will be getting the cable from Sky HD box in the lounge to the AV amp in the kitchen/sitting area.

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,515
    PLAYBAR vs. AVR + Speakers – if it were your primary system and you spent equal money on both systems and properly located the ‘conventional’ speaker system that could be true, though in an open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting ‘family area’ I’m less convinced it would be a big issue!
    You could use a PLAYBAR (dining/sitting area) alongside a PLAY:5 (Kitchen) for the same (in sync) or different sources.

We have also gone with a 7.1 AVR to support 5.1 (sitting area – Inc TV) plus 2.0 (via a 2 way Spk switch) covering the Kitchen and dining area (two pairs of In-ceiling/On-wall spks) in a few properties with a CONNECT as a Stereo Source into the AVR. It was pretty straightforward to operate.

If you are going to run multiple speaker cables and a sub cable an extra CAT6 or two will be pretty simple to cater for HDMI over single or Dual CAT.

Joe

6. milleniumaire

milleniumaire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info Joe. Could you expand on your 7.1 AVR setup. That sounds like something I would like to consider setting up.