Question Kitchen disco means upgrading Roberts Internet Radio to?

illkelly

Standard Member
Hi All
Need your advice please on how best to replace the kitchen/diner Roberts internet radio? It comes in for heavy use in between internet radio and phone audio and handled lots of dancing round the kitchen area at Christmas, so I thought it would be great to upgrade to a bigger, fuller sound.

Possibilities I've looked at range from a streaming box plus speakers such as the yamaha musiccast+2nd hand bookshelves, ruark MR1mk2s (Bluetooth, and phone app access but option to integrate sub and very nice) and the elipson facet 6b (bluetooth only)
The difficulty is keeping the cost down so streamer, plus amp plus speakers will be over the £400 budget (best I can do at the moment)

Listening is all wavefiles/Mp3 via aux input wiring into the Roberts and internet radio.
Thanks for any help

muljao

Left field idea. Does it have a headphone socket? If it does you could buy a set of studio monitors active speakers,just plug cable into both, and you've upgraded the amp and speakers

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Have you considered ceiling speakers? Perhaps with tiny amp such as an SMSL or similar? Maybe a sub too depending on how you want things to sound.

illkelly

Standard Member
Left field idea. Does it have a headphone socket? If it does you could buy a set of studio monitors active speakers,just plug cable into both, and you've upgraded the amp and speakers
it does!! Has a headphone out and also a 3.5mm out, hadn't thought of checking, fantastic idea thank you.

illkelly

Standard Member
Have you considered ceiling speakers? Perhaps with tiny amp such as an SMSL or similar? Maybe a sub too depending on how you want things to sound.
Thanks Timmy C, that would have been ideal when we extended into kitchen/diner, might be a good option, tbh hadnt considered it so will do some research.

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Thanks Timmy C, that would have been ideal when we extended into kitchen/diner, might be a good option, tbh hadnt considered it so will do some research.

The reason I suggested it was your comment about dancing round the kitchen. I have 3 music options in my open plan kitchen/living are. A small boombox type set up similar to what you have, a tiny amp/streamer/kitchen speakers and then a full hifi with floorstanding speakers. Despite the full hifi being by far the best sounding, particularly if you sit in the ideal spot, it's the little amp/ceiling speaker set up that we always use for parties/gatherings. It somehow fills the room better without overpowering and getting in the way of conversation.

illkelly

Standard Member
Would be nice, I did suggest the idea of ceiling speakers but we've just extended and missed the window of opportunity. My partner's pretty fond of the Roberts so I might keep that and look into a way of adding blue tooth and actives as muljao said. Might be a good way to keep costs down as I'm looking to get speakers for upstairs for my listening but sorting out the family bit first

spinaltap

Distinguished Member
If opting for Ruark, buy directly from their ‘seconds’ section for cheaper prices. Once received, I defy anyone to say that they don’t look ‘brand-new’ (including the packaging).

illkelly

Standard Member
Thank you, having checked ebay and classifieds looks like it might be the best option. Choices are between Ruark, Steljes, not sure about addon T14. Ruark seems the favourite.

muljao

Fwiw my brother has a set of Ruarks in a fairly big open plan apartment. They are quite small and I believed he made a mistake when I saw them, until I heard them, they are really great

muljao

Or these babies if you have room 😃

illkelly

Standard Member
I nearly turned them down as there's no sub out then I saw 8" woofers!! Good brand Mackie, all the kit I've had from them has never put a foot wrong. Think the kitchen aesthetics might suit 2.1 more than a big 2, but i would like to swap the yamaha HS5s I use as nearfields for these. Good shout

hander

I too have ruarks but think they're pricey for what you're looking to do. Plus mine have an annoying habit of going to sleep very regularly (and the disable sleep mode has never worked on mine). Sound and look great, as you'd expect.

I also have a yamaha WXC50 - not powering the ruarks, though. The Yamaha is great but better for streaming from spotify than anything else as you can use Spotify's interface from phone/tablet/laptop. Streaming your own mp3s via bluetooth is fine - mine come from a NAS. It's responsive on my system but the interface on the phone is limited. Some people use other DLNA/Upnp renderers to play files from their own servers etc, I've read. e.g. here. Yet to investigate but looks simple enough.

illkelly

Standard Member
Well things went sideways a little. The roberts is kind of replaced with the intended bedroom setup (Im stuck but familys happy), so now the kitchen diner has 607s and a subwoofer powered by an old denon 350se amp. At the moment its either an ipad or phones getting plugged in, will have to look at a bluetooth and DAC, although hander's nas solution would be better sound quality. More food for thought, thanks for all the help so far, have learnt alot from this forum.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom