Kitchen Conundrum

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to add an integrated microwave into our tower unit, directly above our oven. I'll need to remove a cupboard door in order to achieve this although once the microwave we want is in place, it'll leave an 8.5cm gap between the top of the microwave and the cornice.

I've looked at the possibility of maybe buying a new door (which is proving difficult) and cutting it to size although feel this has the potential to be a disaster, any cut would have to be perfect, the door also has a design so any cut would need to be carefully thought out so it doesn't look odd.

The Mrs suggested turning it into a wine rack which I'm not sure about either, would probably look very strange at the top of a tower unit.

Not sure where to go here, any suggestions?

@IronGiant could you remove the identical thread with the typo in the title? Think I used the back button when trying to edit it and created another identical thread as a result

8.5cm? I bet that's getting very close to diameter of a wine bottle, so that may not work if you have any larger bottles.
It may not go with the look you are after, but we struggle with places to put our trays, so a space like that we would use to just chuck two or three wooden trays on top. That's the sort of thing you can put up and out of the way for occasional use.

In our house the wine needs to be accessible quickly and easily in an emergency. And sometimes at a height that children can get to. Doesn't everyone send their kids to the kitchen to bring back booze?

just thought of another problem many kitchens have. Lighting where you need it. A plinth in that space with a couple of angled down spot-lights. Would that fit in with your design?

8.5cm? I bet that's getting very close to diameter of a wine bottle, so that may not work if you have any larger bottles.
It may not go with the look you are after, but we struggle with places to put our trays, so a space like that we would use to just chuck two or three wooden trays on top. That's the sort of thing you can put up and out of the way for occasional use.

In our house the wine needs to be accessible quickly and easily in an emergency. And sometimes at a height that children can get to. Doesn't everyone send their kids to the kitchen to bring back booze?

Ah, yet another typo, it'll leave 18.5cm after the microwaves installed <must remember to proof read before posting>

Would a drawer front be the right size?

Could you drop the the oven down and get a new doors to fit both above and below both appliances?

Would a drawer front be the right size?

Could you drop the the oven down and get a new doors to fit both above and below both appliances?

I was thinking of this. This is possible although I wasn't sure if there were any regulations in place regarding placement height?

Wickes have just got back to me, they want £110 for a door!! I had to ask him to repeat himself 5 times thinking I'd heard him wrong!!! I think moving the oven down slightly will be the best option, I can reuse one of the doors to make up the space above although it will need to be cut at the top section, as its up high, the rough part after cutting shouldn't be visible.

Now I need to work out how to cut it straight and clean... only 1 chance, no pressure :/

I'm not sure I would go to all that bother to be honest.

Wicker baskets are very much in fashion in kitchens right now. Couldn't you fill the space with something like that?

This is ours, which sounds similar to what you are trying the achieve. The cupboard above is our medicine cabinet. The door hinges upwards.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I would go to all that bother to be honest.

Wicker baskets are very much in fashion in kitchens right now. Couldn't you fill the space with something like that?

This is ours, which sounds similar to what you are trying the achieve. The cupboard above is our medicine cabinet. The door hinges upwards.

View attachment 863427

Think you have privacy settings enabled Dony, can't see your link.

IMG_0895_zpsnqfspkxq.jpg

It's this ^^^^

Sheer dumb luck... :D

Wickes have just got back to me, they want £110 for a door!! I had to ask him to repeat himself 5 times thinking I'd heard him wrong!!! I think moving the oven down slightly will be the best option, I can reuse one of the doors to make up the space above although it will need to be cut at the top section, as its up high, the rough part after cutting shouldn't be visible.

Now I need to work out how to cut it straight and clean... only 1 chance, no pressure :/

If you are committed to cutting, then practice the cut on the bit you will be discarding. Try from both sides so you see how the cut would look on the finished side.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
See what size doors/drawer fronts are available and perhaps raise or lower the oven accordingly....as a former kitchen fitter I have had to this on a few occasions

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom