Kit needed for softmod?

NinjaMonkeyUK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm going to need to softmod my XBox soon to enable the HD resolutions but I don't want to go on the softmod list because I'll have to wait for a while by the looks of things.

Am I right in saying that I only need the following items:

1. Splinter Cell
2. Save file which loads Linux
3. Memory card to get the save into the XBox

Now, I was thinking how do I get the save game file (which I've already downloaded) from my PC and onto the Xbox? Is it possible to use this device:

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=rt1&page=title&r=XBOX&title=167038

I'm guessing I could load the save file onto that by plugging it into the PC and then transfer it to my XBox in that way...

Am I right or am I miles off the truth?

Thanks!

Your right, but I'd try plugging it into your PC rather than your TV!

You'll also need an Installer disc such as AID or Slayers to run the Enigmah program to switch to NTSC. This would also be handy if you want to install a new dashboard such as XBMC.

scumball said:
Your right, but I'd try plugging it into your PC rather than your TV!

You'll also need an Installer disc such as AID or Slayers to run the Enigmah program to switch to NTSC. This would also be handy if you want to install a new dashboard such as XBMC.

LOL! I've edited my post to make more sense. I thought that you could just switch the video mode from within the Splinter Cell save? I didn't think you had to use one of those auto installers - I thought those were just for if you wanted to use XBMC? I don't want to mod my current XBox to do that - I'm going to buy a second one & use it exclusively as a media centre...

Iron Monkey - you're correct. You don't need an autoinstaller to switch video modes, just the correct gamesave and Splinter Cell. You've got it all right so far.

You could try Currys for a memory card. I picked one up last week for under ÂŁ7.

Also, to enable Hi-def you will need the HD AV cable.

donkeymagic said:
You could try Currys for a memory card. I picked one up last week for under ÂŁ7.

Also, to enable Hi-def you will need the HD AV cable.

On its way from Lik-Sang! And so is my new Panasonic TH37PX60 plasma! :D

If I try Currys for a memory card, are they selling the one I linked to in my first post? I need one that can easily connect to my PC because I don't want any hassle...

tobyjuggler said:
Iron Monkey - you're correct. You don't need an autoinstaller to switch video modes, just the correct gamesave and Splinter Cell. You've got it all right so far.

So which saves enable this - is it on SID v3.0, v3.1, v4.5 or another and which does Iron Monkey have?

Iron Monkey said:
On its way from Lik-Sang! And so is my new Panasonic TH37PX60 plasma! :D

If I try Currys for a memory card, are they selling the one I linked to in my first post? I need one that can easily connect to my PC because I don't want any hassle...

The Currys one is different but it comes with a usb attachment to connect to a PC.

Now this is quite strange, because any usb devices I've used on a pc in the past have always been reformatted by an Xbox when I've connected them to that, with a message that the device is corrupted. The pc also reformats it if it's in Xbox FatX format. So unless there is also a piece of software that comes with the usb device allowing it to be read by a pc, i don't know how this would work. Can someone enlighten me?

mickrick said:
Now this is quite strange, because any usb devices I've used on a pc in the past have always been reformatted by an Xbox when I've connected them to that, with a message that the device is corrupted. The pc also reformats it if it's in Xbox FatX format. So unless there is also a piece of software that comes with the usb device allowing it to be read by a pc, i don't know how this would work. Can someone enlighten me?

The mem card I got came with a driver disk and software. Works fine.

The Max Drive software is freely available from their website, I believe. With the USB device it is normally bundled with it reads the FatX drive without any problems on XP.

To do the NTSC switch don't you need the evoX dashboard installed?

Dave

Nope, apparently you just need the Splinter Cell save - I think it boots Linux and lets you switch to the NTSC dashboard.

From in there you can select the HD modes...

Ok, but the softmod kit didn't work for me until I did the Linux install (of the EVO dashboard?) as well.

Well out of my depth here :)

Dave

There are two different Splinter Cell saves doing the rounds that I know of. There is one that loads Evo X temporarily to allow you to change the video region to NTSC and there is another which allows you to load Evo X onto the HDD (I'm not sure if the second one has the videoswitch in it though), this second one is called Krayzie's Ndure Installer.

Why yes, it does. This is my softmod of choice and it will even give you ftp access to your Xbox without even installing the mod.

Thanks for your help everyone!

I have successfully softmodded my XBox and can now enjoy 480p & 720p gaming!

Nice one Iron Monkey - now you just need to get that second Xbox to install XBMC! :rotfl:

Well yeah, because I really don't want to run the risk of getting my current XBox banned from Live by using software such as XBMC.

Thats the reason why I'm going to buy a cheap second hand XBox & mod that...

I used an original copy that I borrowed from a friend but I've heard that other people have used the Classics version successfully...

I am thinking of softmodding my 2nd xbox , can anyone confirm that the classics version of splinter cell will be ok for the carrying out the softmod ?.

Drphibes

drphibes said:
I am thinking of softmodding my 2nd xbox , can anyone confirm that the classics version of splinter cell will be ok for the carrying out the softmod ?.

Ive used the 'classics' version on a number of boxes successfully.

Thanks for the reply.
I think I will go down to currys to see if I can pick up the exploder gadget and a copy of splinter cell tomorrow.

Drphibes

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom