1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kit List opinions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dandan4274, Apr 23, 2003.

1. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Intended Kit List:

AMP: VSX-D2011-S
    DVD: PS2 (for the moment - I know, I know, it's not good enough !) Eventually a Prog PAL one I guess
    Plasma: Pioneer 433MXE
    Speakers: Front L/R and rears I'm thinking Nucleus Micro's in S/S, an A'diva for the centre, and the MPS150 sub

Other existing kit to plug in will include a VCR, Telewest cable box... err that's it !!

The only item I have on the list at the moment is the PS2, so I'm not commited to any of these bits in any way.

So basically, I'm open to opinions. It will be mainly used for movies (yeah I need a real DVD player I know) and the wife watching normal telly. No music req'd as this will be via my normal stereo (which I guess I could plug into the Amp to cut down on speakers ?)

thanks for your help, and Eric, if you read this - I live in Enfield Lock so may be calling on your services at some point (esp for the gallo's) !!

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All looks good to me. I'm very happy with my 2011 & 5.1 Gallo set up. There is a thread about this combi somewhere on this forum.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you heard this system and compared to others?

I would not take advice about a particular system/components without home demoing them first.

4. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't demo'ed a thing yet, to be honest

Very early stages for me, still building up the cash pot for it all.

Just trying to get a feel for whats what at the moment; I work with computers all day long, so am not a technophobe, but making that leap of faith across to AV kit is just a wee bit daunting !!

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you go for pioneer, listen to the cheaper models the 811 is great and the 1011 fantastic the saving can then go on a dvd player - I wouldn't let a ps2 near the rest of the kit you've described.

My serious advice to you is to go about this in a methodical fashion, do not be swayed by What Hifi ratings. With the amount you are talking about spending you have to be certain that you have got what YOU want. so take your time.

First up - ask yourself if you need all of the features offered by the 2011, how large a room will you use it in? does it need to be as powerful as the Pioneer is? as I said above, will one of it's cheaper siblings do the job? MAKE SURE YOU DEMO THE DAMN THING BEFORE YOU BUY IT THOUGH!!

The speakers could be rather different as size sometimes matters - is this a wife issue, could you have larger speakers and sub? (which could be purchased at different times to reduce outlay)

I don't know what you mean about music via your normal stereo - is this separates? a midi system? a portable cd player? the answer to that will determine how you can hook your speakers to it.

As a plasma virgin I can offer no advice other than to point you to the plasma forum.

6. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, one of the main things better on the 2011 is the ability to delay the sound - I get the impression this can be an issue with plasmas, also the sort out the speakers microphone thing is cool (just being lazy really !!!)

The room is about 4m x 4m - larger speakers aren't really an option as i want to keep the room as minimilist as poss

Stupid post about the stereo I know - its a technics all-in-one but in four seperate bits (if you know what I mean) - tuner, cd, minidisc and amp - the amp section is the main control so I don't think I can loose it.

thanks for all your help

7. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Audio delay is the Denon 3803 / 2803 big thing & is perhaps being over hyped - in spite of not knowing which is a good plasma, i've seen enough in action to see that lip sync isn't an issue

If you want a minimalist room then a 2011 may not be your best option - it's huge. a quick search of posts on the auto setup leads me to believe that owners use it then check it with spl meter (seems a bit daft to spend the money & not trust it)

I don't think that you will be able to integrate your technics gear with the rest of your system

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not go for a lesser -spec AV amp, and something like the Ruark Vita package?

9. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    k - you may have me sold on the 1011 (anyone got an spl I can borrow !? ;-) ) - obviously I'll demo both but I'm guessing sound wise they're going to be pretty much the same thing.

Equipment size isn't a problem, it's huge speakers scattered around the room I can't stomach.

Ruarks - they're a bit ugly aren't they !!!

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess the M&K 150's are rubbish then.....they're ugly.

Be aware a single multi-range speaker cannot reproduce the full spectrum of sound of a two way design (tweeter/midrange) driver.

And anway, to buy a pretty speaker you are undoubtly paying for a designer...therefore most likely the "ugly" speakers will probably sound better than pretty speakers.

11. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whoa there lesley !!

I didn't say they were rubbish, just not very pretty !!

I hear what you're saying and know I'll get a better sound with some monolithic blocks, but I've got to trade off form with functionality a bit as the room is still a living room rather than a dedicated cinema room

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't have to buy monolithic blocks, but it's best to avoid small satellite speakers & single driver sats.

The Kef Eggs for example are reasonble for AV (2 way design), but for stereo they do lack overall sound quality.

Using speakers with say 25mm tweeter and mid/bass driver of 6.5" produces sound quality that surpasses sats by a large margin.

My room is the same as yours- I would think standmounts for the L/R's plus a centre on top of the TV and wall mounted dipoles will take hardly any space up, and be a much better system than Bose/Gallo size speakers.

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    dan ... that combination of Amp and speakers turns up a lot on AV Forums and I've never seen anyone with negative comments about them. However, if you already have a (stereo) music system, then you can put the outputs for the front speakers from your AV amp into the stereo amp, and then you only need the one pair of front speakers. You will then need a centre speaker to match your left and rights, but can still use Gallo balls for the rear.

You do need to decide your total expenditure though and you really must make sure you can get a DVD player out of it. Cut back on the amp if necessary ... but I feel you will be disappointed with the quality of playback on a plasma if you're not using a DVD playback with the best picture quality you can get. Obviously (only cutting back on the amp expenditure) you're not going to get a Arcam DV88+ or Pioneer 757ai into your budget ... but look at players like the Philips 963 and Harmon Kardon DVD25 for respectable picture quality with PAL Progressive Scan at a reasonable price. Of course if you're not buying Gallo balls for left and right (using stereo system) you'll have some more money to play around with there.

Nathan ... how's he going to sit a centre "on top of" a plasma TV?? I think you're also being very misreprasentative comparing the Gallo to Bose speakers.

Vikki

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Bose & Gallos are single driver, lifestyle speakers- and both are quite expensive for what you actually get.

Ok centre speaker not on top but in front then.

15. dandan4274

dandan4274

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for all your comments.

To be honest, I don't really have a fixed budget (just pursue freelance jobs more aggresively if I want a bigger better something or other) !!!

As of last night, when I plugged my old DVD player (Sony 735) in to the TV for 5 minutes (that's how long it runs for before dying !), I now know that I definitely need a DVD player - the picture was soooooo much better than the PS2

I'll take a look at those DVD players you've mentioned thanks

Nathan, thanks for your comments on the speakers, I'll try a full set of Gallos and then a set of Eggs or others

One last question (for now !) - with an amp, do you have all your video feeds going into that, and then a single hookup to the plasma ?

cheers
    Danny

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends- best to go direct to the display (video) if you can - ie DVD component out to Plasma component in.

If you've got lots of devices, then go via the amp then onto the display.

For audio, plug into the amp.

For DVD- component to Plasma, digital out to AV amp
    Camcorder- S-Video/composite & audio to AV amp
    VCR- S-Video/composite to display, audio to both TV and AV Amp (SCART carries audio), phono out to AV amp.

Also try out the M&K K series- probably the one of th best sat systems you can buy. Ugly but MUCH better sound than Bose/Kef Eggs/Gallos.