Kiss Me Deadly Blu-ray Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by Phil Hinton, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433
      • Thanks Thanks x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    2. Jessica Noir

Jessica Noir

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +411
      Great review of a terrific film. Never managed to pick up the US release so I'll be getting this. Between the long-overdue due Klute, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Do The Right Thing and this, Criterion are killing it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    3. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433
      They're definitely hitting a high; August is one of their best months in quite some time. Should have a comp up shortly too, for all three of those classics (Kiss Me Deadly, Klute, Do the Right Thing).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. Coz22998

Coz22998
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +25,934
      Totally agree with Criterion killing it with their releases but I think they've got to have a look at their prices over here - whilst they always commanded a premium in the US, I don't think the current UK blu market will put up with high prices for single films, most of which are only single disc packages.

This for £17.99 is great and if only they were all like this........but Hedwig at £27? Ouch.

I'm paying it at the moment (grabbed Hedwig yesterday as I love it but did so grumpily!!!), but when months get busy, and especially with 4K now also starting to command a premium (£30 for the latest Studio Canal special editions......:eek:), these are the discs that get bumped.

5. u4coffee

u4coffee

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +126
      I have this on DVD, as I do with all the 28 film noir movies I have collected. It's a great movie, but I'm doubtful if upgrading to Blu-ray is going to be a significant improvement.

I have Gilda on Blu-ray and can't say I notice a significant improvement over my DVD copy, and I've watch 'that' scene numerous times.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,736
      Great review Cas although I say he was more than a little violent:D talk about cracking skulls figuratively Mike does it literally. :eek: Even uses a desk draw as a piece of torture equipment.

I don't know why Mickey Spillane did not like the portrayal of Mike, but Ralph Meeker takes the PI to a new level and the guy does some nasty things in books. I think at one time someone told me decades ago they been cleared out of the local libraries and on trying myself to get them there found there was none.

Almost finished reading a book and think I may start on one of The Mike Hammer series I have picked up.

Darn shame they never made the planned other, which was to be My Gun Is Quick.

The story starts with Mike Hammer meeting a red-headed prostitute in a diner. She is hassled by a man she appears to know and fear but Mike deals with him swiftly. Despite little conversation, he gives her some money to get a real job and leaves. The next day she is found dead, the victim of an apparent hit-and-run accident. Mike does not believe this and proceeds to hunt down her murderers. In the process he uncovers a massive and powerful prostitution ring in New York.

7. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433
      Thanks mate, yes it is a shame they didn't do the other one at the time. Although it probably didn't help that the original theatrical ending was accidentally cut short and basically ended with audiences thinking it was the start of the
      apocalypse
      ! :eek:

Only other adaptation I was interested in was the 80s Armand Assante one which I think has been given the Arrow treatment.

But I think Mickey Spillane just wanted it played the way he had in his mind and, at the time, this was quite a risqué, perverted version of his character (his treatment of women, even for the time, was quite boundary-pushing). Curiously it made me think of Lee Child as well (both Spillane and Child look quite similar to me), and how Spillane ultimately played the role himself in a bid to 'do it justice', wondering whether, at one point, Child would have liked to have done the same thing. I guess it is natural for authors to see themselves in their characters, and also to know them better than anybody else does.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,736
      I remeber walking past the flea pit which never showed new film and was in the days when they had them photos of the films stuck in a frame outside the cinema and they had one of Shirley Eaton and some others for The Girl Hunters(the one with Mickey playing Mike) and was on a double bill with The Frogmen (war film).

being the end of the world just a localised albeit very deadly explosion although many have took it to be The End
      I seen most off the Mike Hammer films and TV versions. I The Jury was the first one of the Mike Hammer books which is the one you mention with Armand Assante.

9. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,441
      Nice review Cas. I am not 100% sure I have actually seen this one! :blush: Sounds my sort of thing though. Shame its Criterion in a way though because those prices...ouch!

10. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433
      Ah Jim, you know it’s worth it... or you could try your hand at that comp (should be live before the weekend).

11. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433
      I suspect - at the time - the reaction to the (cut) end may have been more “effective”. Like Welles’ War of the Worlds, I’m guessing people were more easily swept up in it. Nuke = apocalypse. Even though, as you say, it would have hardly been that cataclysmic.

These days I’m halfway expecting Hobbs and Shaw to play pass the parcel with a suitcase nuke, and Dom only needed to hide behind a parked car when the
      sub
      went up.

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,736
      "Well this is one I've not seen, and probably just as well I waited for the Armand Assante, they cant even afford water for thats guy at the start to swim in:laugh: Mind you he does a impersonation of Arnie at 40 sec even before he became famous.
      I, the Jury 1953) Trailer

13. jim1106

jim1106

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +88
      Great film, great disc. I just wish i had waited a couple of months for the UK cisc and not imported mine for 22quid!

14. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,433