1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kiss for the dream machine..

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by cainej, Jul 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cainej

cainej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wouldn't this be nice:

-a HDD digital tuner based with an ethernet connection.
    -a separate quality DVD player

You could hook up to a network and burn DVDs via your PC or even control over the internet to record programmes.

The Kiss DP-558 appears to come close, but no digital TV tuner. Does anyone know their (or others) plans?

Do you think it is worth waiting for something like this to appear?

Or try and home-build using a cheap PC with TV tuner, clunky software user interface, and DVD burner?

2. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you have a large enough HD why would you need to burn any DVD's.
    Those programs you want to keep are more likely to be on DVD along with
    all those extras.

3. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    This is available now, perhaps since 2003, with a Freeview Windows Media Centre.

Though it controls a seperate Freeview receiver, TiVo has been capable of doing this for the last 5 years with the addition of a network card and a DVD burner in your PC.

DVD combo ethernet enabled official straight-out-of-the box TiVos have been available in the States for at least 2 years, but we are still waiting for them to turn up in the UK.

I am waiting for such a beast to appear, but I am not holding my breath. I dont think anyone will produce anything as good as TiVo in the UK for at least 5 years in terms of price, performance, features and reliability and quietness.

4. cainej

cainej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you might want to burn DVDs of TV that aren't bought from shop- how many times have you lent your mate last night's recording of football/eastenders/time team...?

5. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It just seems a lot of extra expense to a pvr to allow you to do something once in a blue moon.

6. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Really? A VCR lets you play its tapes on any other VCR, a PVR is tied to one place, one TV.

I burn DVD+RW's several times a week for playback on my laptop or main TV. After fighting Windoze networking and the poor streaming performance on my STB I find it much quicker and easier and I'm one of very few users with any ability to stream content.

Until someone launches a properly networked PVR I'll be burning a lot of DVD's.

7. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    PVR's need to be built for a mass market and most people record at home to watch at home, and DVD's are for movies.

8. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hacked networked TiVos have been around for 5 years and Windows Media Centre for 3 years.

With a Slingbox you can now placeshift as well as timeshift as long as you have a fast enough internet connection.

But you are right, a DVD burner or big portable disk is essential for use on your laptop or if you go to anywhere without a fast internet connection.