Kiss Dp-500

stricko

Just started to look at using one of these. Putting all of the lan based stuff aside, anybody got any views on how good this is as a DVD player.

Plan would be to hook it up to Pio 433MXE plasma and HK4500 receiver. PAL progressive and component output is a must, but I'm struggling to find an answer to the PAL bit.

I've asked the same question on one of the Kiss forums.

bonzobanana

It has pal progressive but you need a special cable to get component output. Basically a scartplug to 3 phonos. A simple cable which you can make yourself or buy from various places. There is also a vga option which again needs a special cable. However the vga cable doesn't work with macrovision protected dvds. Picture quality is excellent with the latest firmware. I have the DP-450 which is basically the same without the ethernet option and its great. Superb player.

KraGorn

Novice Member
I have a KiSS-450 too .. as a DVD player it's pretty reasonable, though I've never used it in progressive mode, as a DivX player, well, it adds a bullet point to the feature list. ;)

Their ability to produce firmware updates that fix problems is somewhat limited, read their support forums to see the on-going list of faults and new ones that appear ... though admittedly many are concerned with non-DVD formats.

One nice thing is that it plays MP3 DVDs, which makes it nice to rip one's CD collection at 320K and put them on to a few DVD-Rs.

bonzobanana

As a progressive dvd player the dp-450 is quite excellent. A lovely detailed image. the toshiba drive fitted is robust, fast and very compatible with different media. I personally love the Kiss styling of these players too. I agree about the firmware though. They never seem to get it completely right and new minor bugs always seem to get introduced with the fixes. However I have to say the latest firmware has superb dvd picture quality. I do believe that the picture quality of the kiss players now is ahead of other divx players like the liteon, yamada etc and compares very well indeed to medium to top end dvd only players. Lets face it, with a 200mhz risc arm processor and a high speed mpeg decoding engine it should be capable of a better picture than most other dvd players whose processors are around the 100mhz mark and are more basic.

here's the forum url;

http://www.gooddvdstuff.com/kissdvd/index.php

If your thinking about a kiss player and have a projector with vga input see if you can get any of the kiss firmware hackers to remove macrovision protection on vga mode. Because once someone hacks the firmware you'll be able to use these players with all media via vga which a lot of kiss owners like myself want. Currently any dvds with macrovision are prevented in the firmware from being displayed in vga mode. A stupid restriction.

stricko

Thanks for the feedback guys. On the issue of PAL progreesive, has anyone checked whether it's 525p or 625p. One of the posts on my parallel thread on the KISS forum suggests that he is getting 525p which is not true PAL PS. It may be his projector that can't handle 626p, so I wondered if you guys had a view.

bonzobanana

The Kiss players produce a true pal progressive image. However that reminds me of one of the minor annoyances of the kiss. there is no auto mode for pal and ntsc dvds. So if you want to watch a pal dvd you have to select pal and select ntsc for ntsc dvds. You can watch ntsc dvds in pal progressive mode for example but its not ideal. Whats worse is to change from one progressive mode to another you have to input a remote hack to get to the secret menu so you can change options. Of course if you have all region 2 or 4 dvds it doesn't matter.

KraGorn

Novice Member
Originally posted by stricko
One of the posts on my parallel thread on the KISS forum suggests that he is getting 525p which is not true PAL PS. It may be his projector that can't handle 626p, so I wondered if you guys had a view.
:confused: .. I thought PAL prog. was 576p.

stricko

I know what you mean, I'm getting confused as well. I've got a thread open on the KISS forum, where we are puzzling over the same question.

http://www.gooddvdstuff.com/kissdvd/viewtopic.php?t=3002

There seem to be two values associated with each standard/setting, but as yet I have not found out why there are two and what they mean. I've checked some of the articles I've been referred to but I havn't spotted an explanation.

All I know for sure is that my plasma tell me it's getting 525p for NTSC and 625p for PAL (from my Limit DVD). Where the values 480p for NTSC and 576p for PAL come from, god only knows. I feel a web search coming on..........

stricko

That didn't take long.

I've you've got the time and the inclination, have a read of....

http://www.hifi-writer.com/he/progscan/progscan.htm

It doesn't directly address the issue of the two values, but it gives apretty substantial hint. The 480/576 values refer to the viewable lines. So it sound like PAL has a total of 625 lines, of which 576 are viewable. Obvious, huh!

So much to learn, so little time.........

So back to the original question, what does the KISS produce, 625/576 or 525/480? If it's "pure" then it should be 625/576, I would have thought.

Unfortunately, I've got a right old mix of Region 1 and 2 disks, so the lack of auto PAL/NTSC switching would be a bit of a pain.

Final question. What is the JPEG handling like on KISS. Does it automatically full screen each image, regardless of dpi, file size etc. Does it handle navigating betwen directories without any problems? Any other features available (shuffle, zoom etc. etc.)

KraGorn

Novice Member
Originally posted by stricko
The 480/576 values refer to the viewable lines. So it sound like PAL has a total of 625 lines, of which 576 are viewable. Obvious, huh!
I think I see what's going on. These are TV standards and the UK TV system is '625 lines', meaning 625 'lines' of information. Apart from the video picture itself there are other control 'lines' and also non-video information like the Teletext pages. In America the [in]famous 'copy flag' is output on one of their NTSC non-visible lines.

What I suspect is happening is that in the A/V world the signals don't include the TV broadcast overhead 'lines', thus PAL means 576 as far as display devices are concerned.

URL

Great players...

AND... great to modd...

Loads of modified firmware around.. these boxes rtun Linux...

You can add a HD to it and save movies etc to to along with your MP3, Divx stuff too.. also plays all your digi photos on yer telly...

The std 500 does not have a HD... teh 508 does. Just flash it with 508 firmware and hey presto....

Dont use the pclink server software that comes with it, use EZLINK - worth the money... the best around IMO

Picture is A1, options are great. Have added phonos to the rear panel to save using a scart adapter for component.

Easy multi region mod with flash for (toshiba) IDE DVD drive, plus set option in hidden menu.

All in, a great player for the money... and it expands your AV options considerably... AND ITS WIFE FRIENDLY... unlike a HTPC!!

D

KraGorn

Novice Member
Originally posted by djblack
Loads of modified firmware around.. these boxes rtun Linux...
And the Linux/ Open Source community are boycotting KiSS since it's claimed that KiSS are breaking the GPL over the embedded media player used in these players.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom