KISS DP-500 Progressive Mode

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by slyborg, Jun 16, 2003.

1. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

I recently treated myself to my first plasma display and obviously am eager to upgrade my old Pioneer DVD player with a progressive scan one.

From reading up as extensively as I can I know Im at the mercy of the disc as to whether the DVD is encoded with progressive scan info correctly and that some DVD players will be better at fixing this than others.

What I'm trying to find out is if anyone has any comments regarding the DP-500 both progressive and not.

Thanks

Si

2. Oasis-GasPanic

Oasis-GasPanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi slyborg, welcome to the forum. I've got the DP-450 which is identical to the 500 minus the network port. I would describe the progressive and interlaced performace of this player as quite good. It's not on par with my newly acquired denon but for the money I think you could do a lot worse. I found even the Divx performance great inc. v3.11 which Kiss say can freeze on high bite rate scenes, but I can't say that it does. It also has a great scaling feature (480p>>1024x1280p).

Highly recommended mid-ranged player IMO.

Regards,

3. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers, given I've gone to the expense of a plasma then I'm looking for the best (within reason) I can as far as DVD quality goes. I can get the DP-500 for about 250 but would consider playing slightly more if I'm liable to get a decent improvement in progressive output quality?

Divx playback is not critical but would be a v.nice to have feature for all my home video languishing on VCD and the original using up almost 100GB of my hard drive!

Si