1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KiSS DP-1504 Any comments or views before I consider it?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DannyLizard, Nov 1, 2004.

1. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Well I’ve just had a disastrous trial of the D-Link DSM-320 PC to TV media centre, I wont bore you with the details but it went back to the original suppliers today (a nasty little gadget I must say :suicide: ).

I’m considering the KiSS DP-1504 to playback all my PC based media (AVI, MPEG, DIVX & XVID files) through my Sony TV and also tap into the PC connectivity & broadband use through it, but mainly for the video file use.

Has anyone got this machine? Or a KISS DVD player? I would love to hear the views of the forum b4 I consider the purchase of it.

Thanks Danny.

2. DannyLizard

DannyLizard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well i supose no news is good news?

Danny.

3. smithgi

smithgi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kiss are about to release their 600 series. I got a reply from their sales team saying they are going to leaunch the dp-600 in europe in January for about £250.

It will do everything under the sun, including playing hi-def WMV9 and DIVX at massive resolutions.

check it out on the KISS web site.

Gav

4. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    would that be the same DP600 that was supposed to be released in July 2004 by any chance?

KISS are famous for non-delivery. I'd say buy something that actually exists rather than vapourware.

5. poggs

poggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I bought a kiss 1000 as a bedroom player, but found it gave me a better picture on my hitachi plasma than my 'main' player, a Harman Kardon 25 so it is now the 'main' player! I bought it primarily for Divx playback but have been pleasently surprised by its overall picture quality. it does have bugs which require a hard power off on occation but they have only appeared when I have fast forwarded Divx cdrw of a dubious quality. then the whole dvd player locks up requiring the plug to be pulled. I'd recommend one. However I would state that I have never seen a pioneer 470 in action and can only compare the kiss to older machines that I have seen and owned.

6. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have two Dp 508s and love em!

They have had firmware issues - most of which you will never experience so dont let that put you off.

The box has a linux kernel, so you can do all sorts with them.

They have a 10/100 ethernet onboard... and the 508 version has an HD - although you can add the HD to a 500 if you wat (500 and 508 are the same bar firmware revisions...)

If you are looking at them, best go for EZLINK as the server side software - much better than Kiss's effort!

Great products and nice and easy for the rest of the family...
    David

7. Famished

Famished

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so will a normal network cable be used to connect the PC to the player. I assume there is a network card already installed?

8. Famished

Famished

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this model aslso looks good KiSS DP-1500 not sure if I actually need the HD space on the machine as I have got 500GB on my PC.

9. smegleyshire

smegleyshire
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Danny,

Also just sent back my Dlink DSM-320. It couldn't cope with MPEG-2 TV recordings made on my PC even when wired rather than wireless.

After digging around, found that Buffalo are planning on releasing a box in the UK which is currently available in Japan and the USA. It is based on a certain sigma designs chip and is specced to be able to handle high bitrate video (including WMV9) and up to HD resolutions. All that plus it's got a DVD drive and USB port that it can play media files from as well...

Go to www.buffalotech.co.uk and look under wireless products - you'll find it at the bottom of the page.

10. tcp/ip

tcp/ip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am trying to order one if the buffalo players anybody know anywere in the UK that sells them

11. rob_webset

rob_webset
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have actually got 3 DP-1504, (2 upgraded to 80Gig).

I actually think they are pretty good - pretty cheap on eBay if you find one.

I suppose it depends on if you wanted to use wireless or not - if you want wireless on one of these boxes - then forget it! - It kept crashing out whenever I tried to ftp to it.

I now have them set up via those home-plug things - and everything works great.