Kirkland Laing - 'The gifted one'

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Kirkland Laing was a huge British boxing talent who beat Roberto Duran then went on a bender.
According to wiki he died on the 9th of June last week.
He had been living in a care home just outside of my old hometown where I grew up and lived for almost 40 years, Hornsea on the east coast of Yorkshire.
I lived there up until 2013 and I often used to see Kirkland shuffling about, can in hand looking bedraggled and scruffy on his way to buy more booze.
It was very sad, at his peak he was incredible. After disappearing Duran came back and earnt millions, whilst his old foe went awol and off the rails.
There's a book which is very hard to get hold of called 'The gifted one', it's a must read by all accounts.
There's numerous clips of Kirkland on YouTube, training, fighting and commentating for ITV sport.
I just wanted to share in case anyone here wondered what happened to him.
My dad thought he'd died a couple of years ago although he wasn't sure but wiki does say 09/06/21
RIP Kirkland

neuty

Distinguished Member
I remember watching his fights on tv. I can still remember them and he was always entertaining.

RIP K

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
I remember watching his fights on tv. I can still remember them and he was always entertaining.

RIP K
He was a bugger for fighting with his gloves down below his waist too!

Purperen

I was a big fan of Kirkland Laing in the 80s. He was a cult figure, very much the bad boy of UK boxing at the time when there were multiple fighters who you could say that about. He had an incredibly raw talent, if only he could have added discipline to that talent he could have gone onto a far more successful career and been one of the greats. Shame about what happened to him later in his life.

RIP Mr Laing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom