Kinky cable causing problems ?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by tiberious, Jul 24, 2001.

1. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an IDTV and a set top box .Both are ITV digital.I get maximum signal strength on both.The tv is a phillips, the box is a Pace.

The set top box is perfect - I`VE NEVER HAD ANY PICTURE BREAKUP AT ALL.The IDTV is a nightmare -picture breaks up regularly (4/5 times per 30 mins - or more at times, when it`s completely unwatchable.

Why ? perfect on one, nightmare on the other (both run off the same aerial).

The only thing I can think of is that the idtv aerial cable run runs along a skirting board, and has 6 90 degree bends in it.Is this likely to be the cause of the problem, or is the decoder in the tv just of much lower quality ?

All suggestions appreciated !!

2. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I've read (some of which could be rubish) and what I could not tell from your post (some of which you may already have done.

1) Get the best quality cable between the receiver and arial.

2) Minimum amount of breaks or conectors in the run.

3) Shortest possible amount of cable from receiver to arial, ie if your receiver box is upstaris and your tv downstairs why not drag all 32" of it upstairs and see it work better?

4) Many people say the signal strength indicator is unreliable.

5) Some people use a signal booster, yep I know it's anoying if it don't work but if you can borrow one, or buy one from argos (take it back if it don't work).

6) You are probably right , people say different receivers make a difference,

3. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    This is only a guess, but the device with the best picture is probably getting the cleanest, raw signal from your aerial.

If the signal has already been in and out of either your vcr or stb before it gets to the telly, then the signal will be compromised.

Try missing out all the other equipment and see if things improve. My experience is using a booster or going through a vcr (which incorparates a booster) worsen things.

4. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks chaps - the signal does go via a booster (although I tried it with its own separate aerial with no booster and no diff.

There is certainly a much shorter length of run to the box upstairs - maybe an easier check would be to take the box to the tv and try running it via the box. -I`ll give it a go and see what happens - by the way, how the hell do you find out the best uhf channel to use ?? (channel 5 seems to be **** most often - and I can never seem to get the signal strength indicator to work at all these days - on either box/set !)

Thanx guys