Kingston V200 SSD 128GB Problems

natl0l

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, would appreciate some advice on an issue i have with this drive.

I received a new Kingston V200 128GB SSD drive a few days ago. This is the one I brought

Kingston 128GB V200 SSD - 2.5" SATA-III - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

The problem I have is the BIOS intermitantly fails to identify the drive. When it does the computer fails during the Windows 7 install. No errors, it just freezes. (This is with no other drives connected)

I have tried to have the SSD as a second drive in the computer (booting off my original HD) and the SSD is recognised in Windows 7 but crashes when accessed...i.e if i try and delete files or run a scandisk.

I thought it was faulty and have contacted Kingston and Ebuyer. I have since tried it in a friends computer and it works perfectly? As soon as I put it back in mine the same problems happen which suggests a motherboard compatibility issue. HIs machine is more modern then mine.

My motherboard is an older ASUS Crossfire on which I have installed the latest firmware. The SSD drive also has the latest firmware.

Newegg.com - ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

Any suggestions grateful...bit of a nightmare as can't return it as it isn't faulty so it looks like I am stuck with it.

Thanks

Nathan

Last edited:
I notice the motherboard has an additional RAID controller. Are you running the SSD from a native (AMD chipset) SATA controller or a third party one? Not familiar with AMD offerings from recent years but if it's anything like Intel the native (Intel/AMD) SATA controller and associated ports are usually more stable than third party solutions. Optical and HDD's are usually most resilient but SSD can be quite particular. I'd check this first. Your motherboard manual should indicate which ports are native and which are third party (usually different colours too).

Thankyou for taking the time to reply. I have the drive plugged into the native ports and have tried each one and a new cable just in case. I am a little stumped as I have read that people have got SSD drives on this board such as the Intel offerings. Kingston have mentioned in an email that i should enable Ahci support but I do not have this option on my board.

If it's within 7 working days of delivery you may want to consider a DSR return back to eBuyer. Not sure what else it could be besides compatibility. Could be a faulty drive but hard to test without more hardware.

Thanks, I have tried the drive in another 'more modern' computer and it seems to work fine. I can't return the drive to ebuyer under DSR as I have had to destroy the packaging to open it as it is in one of those sealed plastic enclosures. I guess the best thing is to sell it on to somone with a modern motherboard with the AHCI support.

Right, just so I can put this post to bed and help any other future member that may be suffering with issues I have received this email from technical support at Kingston.

Hi

Its a known issue that the nvidia chipset causes Inkompatibilität issues with some SSD controller.

Unfortunately is there nothing we can do for you.
If you cannot use the ssd in a alternative system, i would recommend you to return the SSD to your point of purchase for Refund.

Alternative you could return the SV200 JMicron based SSD and purchase a SVP200, which is a Sandforce based SSD for testing

Should you have further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Warm Regards"

Does anyone know a suitable SSD drive that would work with my NVIDIA 590SLI Chipset?

Thanks

Last edited:
Go with an intel/Crucial/Samsung or ask Nvidia for compatibility advice .. ahci mode isnt needed to run these drives, I think it just? enables better performance. I have the earlier 64gb version running in ide mode on a H61 chipset.

Thanks, my chipset is Nivia NForce 590 SLI - I have read that there are some issues with the Crucial M4 SSD which is strange as their site says it is suitable. I can find no information on if the Samsung 830 Series is compatible.

The Intel 330 series is on offer at the moment but again I cant find any information on if it is compatible.

Does anyone have a motherboard with this chipset and running an SSD on it?

Thanks

Nathan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom