Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

nickkuk

I was really impressed with this in 4K, I thought it had some of the best use of HDR/WCG in any film I've seen, it has some gorgeous jaw-dropping scenes with deep pure blacks contrasting with bright pure white, gold and electric blue, the animation quality and motion capture is outstanding, I can't imagine how long it must have taken to render this film.

I also thought the audio was excellent, complementing the action well, unfortunately not Atmos but it makes good use of the surround channels, and has an excellent music score, and strong voice acting by the whole cast, and particularly Sean Bean.

I enjoyed this film considerably more than Godzilla v Kong, it had a coherent and well thought out storyline with an ending that left me wanting more. As its a prologue to the story in the Final Fantasy XV game, it did its job and made me want to carry on the story, intrigued to know how the plot continued. I thought the end battles with the massive titans/monsters had a better representation of city-wide destruction and carnage that I found lacking in GvK, with the huge CG battles having a better sense of scale and physicality that I thought GvK lacked, and many more "wow" moments.

I would rate it 9/10.

Will I Aint

Took a punt on this, I'm aware of the games but never played them so have no idea of the back story. The action is epic as a 100% cgi film allows for but there are still issues with the technology. Motion capture has made human CGI representations much more lifelike to stop snapping you out as you instinctively pick up something false. This works really well for dialogue and certain action but in other areas it falls really flat.

Take the glaive scenes, they work really well, jumperesque and impressive, no motion capture but still work. You then take a scene (trying to avoid spoilers) where there is supposed to be a chance of falling to death and it appears that the animators take over and all sense of jeopardy is lost.

Car scenes also seem like a game, very smooth but too smooth to convince of realism, despite how fantastically rendered it is.

I don't know what sort of world this is supposed to be but certain references just pull you right out of a film. Magic powers, check, monsters, check, epic fights, check, hang on a sec, he's driving a ****ing Audi!

lgans316

Distinguished Member
The true value of this?

eBay.jpg

nickkuk

Took a punt on this, I'm aware of the games but never played them so have no idea of the back story. The action is epic as a 100% cgi film allows for but there are still issues with the technology. Motion capture has made human CGI representations much more lifelike to stop snapping you out as you instinctively pick up something false. This works really well for dialogue and certain action but in other areas it falls really flat.

Take the glaive scenes, they work really well, jumperesque and impressive, no motion capture but still work. You then take a scene (trying to avoid spoilers) where there is supposed to be a chance of falling to death and it appears that the animators take over and all sense of jeopardy is lost.

Car scenes also seem like a game, very smooth but too smooth to convince of realism, despite how fantastically rendered it is.

I don't know what sort of world this is supposed to be but certain references just pull you right out of a film. Magic powers, check, monsters, check, epic fights, check, hang on a sec, he's driving a ****ing Audi!

The product placement was a bit in-your-face, the Beats audio logo was very prominent also.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I thought it was well worth the £20, but I guess it has a niche appeal.

Each to their own but I think £20 is way too high for a release like this mate.

Will I Aint

The product placement was a bit in-your-face, the Beats audio logo was very prominent also.
I was was keeping an eye out for a Starbucks somewhere. Another thing I think jars with Asian films made for European/American audiences is that stylistically a non-Asian rocking an Asian look or mannerisms and i don't necessarily blame the actors as it's more about direction and translation of a character. I'll give 2 examples in case I'm putting my case across poorly.

Firstly, Chancellor Chicken-Wing from this film just too much of a pantomime villain and didn't come across too well for me.

Another example would be from the 2013 Oldboy remake. Now I love Sharlto Copley but again the style and mannerisms just come across as an awkward parody of an Asian character even if it's unintended.

dms

I chickened out and got the German Bluray for £5 or so as I just wasn't sure I'd like it enough to justify the 4k at full price. I watched it in English and I'm sorry to say the most interesting thing I found was an audio glitch at 1:45:08 in the left channel. It wasn't present in the German audio but I could hear the same in the English on my computer as the main system.... I suppose it could be my disc or the German disc.

Though some of the visuals were absolutely stunning, many felt flat and I couldn't for the live of me care for the story or the characters. I honestly thought with Sean Bean and Lena it would have solid acting.... I did wonder how much of Sean Bean I'd be hearing though, at least somethings are reliable.

I was curious to get it as I have friends who love the series and play the games so I won't blame Cas for "making me" get it, although I wouldn't have known this existed without the heads up.

After it had finished and the first credit appeared I raced to put in Final Fantasy Spirits Within; yes I was a little surprised the visuals in that weren't comparable technically (I still remember seeing it in the Cinema in London and being blown away) but somehow the visuals in Spirits Within were more captivating and also the voice acting better; also the female character wasn't a throwback to the worst of 80's cinema. I guess I still see Spirits Within with rosy glasses, but I'd still watch it instead of Kingsglaive any day of the week.

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
I didn't realise this film was five years' old!:blush:

Watched the Blu-Ray tonight and yes, the presentation was exemplary. Both the visuals, and particularly the sound design, were hugely impressive, but there's still something "off" about CGI movement and faces are still a bit plasticky.

I remember first watching "Spirits Within" and thinking it was wonderful, but when I returned to it a few years' later I found it far less engaging. "Advent Children" was just dire - I twice tried to watch it, twice got to the hour mark and just gave up through sheer boredom.

"Kingslaive" is somewhere between - it's far better than "AC", but "SW" has the superior story. This film is better than both on a technical level, but its storytelling is a million miles away from the likes of Pixar or Aardman which work on a much more fundamental level.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom