1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kingdom Hospital - anyone (still) watching it?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Joe Pineapples, May 24, 2004.

1. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +874
    I've watched this on BBC2 since the first episode (which i thought was the best one), but find myself increasingly watching it now, just to find out what happens in the end. The dark/dream place and its inhabitants are fairly interesting (if a little non-eventful so far). but some of the real-world (?) people are just plain irritating - namely the 2 giggling cleaners (or whatever they do), and the security monitor, whose facial expression keeps to a constant 'just been kicked in the goolies' look.

On the supject of last nights episode (remember - BBC2), what was all that dancing/singing in the emergency room about? (was there a hidden meaning?). I'm normally a big fan of the 'cool' weird (twin peaks), but this bit just struck me as plain 'stupid' weird.

ok. rant over (as they say)

Dean

2. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I watched the first two episodes & haven't really had the motivation to watch it again.

Plus it reminds me too much of Darkplace.

3. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the singing and dancing was to point up the fact that the bad guy had arrived, following on from the stereo coming on in the ambulance despite lack of electricity.
    The thing that most reminds me of Darkplace is the red Kingdom hospital logo at the front of the building that looks like a cheap piece of cardboard that has been stuck to the stonework

4. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Has anyone seen the original Lars von Trier danish version? How does it compare?

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I watched the first two weeks worth, but just couldn't be bothered last night - is it exactly the same as the danish version? I only ask as I was struck by how "autobiographical" it felt in terms of Stephen King's recent car accident/hospital stay etc

6. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    what the hell is up with that ant-eater is he related to frank from donnie darko

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He is the Executive Producer along with Steven King on this version.

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The Lars von Trier one didn't have the focal character of the artist guy who gets mashed by the van in the first episode ( I think) definitely King being ironic methinks.

Anteater : artists guy's embodiment of his "anima" or true self ...his spirit guide blah de blah ...

The von trier version was very very disturbing in some scenes ( I mean very!)
    Can't see the same scenes being so graphically portrayed in the US version.

Saying that I really got into the first couple of eps of the US flavour but I assume I've just missed the third episode?

Whenever I noticed it listed on BBC3 or 4 I forget which its aways been the 2nd episode ( they must have shown it 3 times at least!)

9. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just picked up the 2 discer of the original Danish version in the Virgin Sale for £7.99.

Well creepy! :eek: