King of New York 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas.....ordered! 🤣

Thanks Cas.....ordered! 🤣

Mate, I've got the Blu-ray, the Arrow Steelbook, and now a 4K PR disc and I'm struggling to cancel my own order...

(put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... no, no, don't order Crash 4K, here we go again...)

I love this movie so much Cas. Oh the one liners, the characters, the soundtrack... Easy buy for me!

Thanks for the review, Cas. Already pre ordered, along with Crash, glad your review confirms my hopes for the release :thumbsup:

Mate, I've got the Blu-ray, the Arrow Steelbook, and now a 4K PR disc and I'm struggling to cancel my own order...

(put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... put the 4K disc in the steelbook and click cancel... no, no, don't order Crash 4K, here we go again...)
I'll have your spare.
And Crash.
And...
And...

Cas is it worth an upgrade over the BR? I bought this just before UHD was announced and is still in packaging!

Cas is it worth an upgrade over the BR? I bought this just before UHD was announced and is still in packaging!

Hell yes. I mean, for starters they fix the sound. And DV does make a huge difference on the video. Yes, yes, and yes, upgrade the hell out of this puppy.

I've nagged on the other site about how bad the 5.1 mix of the blu-ray is and literally no-one was bothered - even the so-called Arrow nerds who collect every one.

So glad to hear this is fixed on the 4K as I sold my old steelbook a while back. Great review Cas and certainly picking this one up. I'm not quite as much of a fan as you are by the seem of it but its a brilliant little film and its peak Walken as you say!

To anyone sticking with the blu-ray - make sure you select the 2.0 mix which is fine as Cas says.

So glad to see a reviewer I respect delight in this film like I do.
The juxtapositions throughout are great of what and who is good and actually serves the betterment. I love how you see the flipside of the police and the misuse of legal and illegal drugs snortled and gulped down in the name of justified pursuit set against Frank White's own pharma intent. There's so many scenes and lines to remember - including the end scene for a certain ginger.
Walken and Fishburne are dynamic in this and gelled so near unbelievably well as white kingpin and his black right hand.
“- Frank White: How come you never came to see me?
- Jimmy Jump: Who wanted to see you in a cage, man?”

So glad to see a reviewer I respect delight in this film like I do.
The juxtapositions throughout are great of what and who is good and actually serves the betterment. I love how you see the flipside of the police and the misuse of legal and illegal drugs snortled and gulped down in the name of justified pursuit set against Frank White's own pharma intent. There's so many scenes and lines to remember - including the end scene for a certain ginger.
Walken and Fishburne are dynamic in this and gelled so near unbelievably well as white kingpin and his black right hand.
“- Frank White: How come you never came to see me?
- Jimmy Jump: Who wanted to see you in a cage, man?”

I think that scene really hammered home how good those two are.

I mean, Walken's dancing, Fishburne's doing his thang, but it suddenly gets deadly serious when he asks him that line, and Fishburne's reply is so quick and honest - I mean, he really means it - that it defuses the whole moment and Walken, although visibly hurt by the potential slight, accepts it as an honest justification. In that moment, they're 100% cool with each other again.

Sublime, and so easy to miss.

Love this film so I'm definitely getting this. Glad to see you say it's a career-high for Walken - it absolutely is!

Much to @Tom Davies chagrin, I cancelled my order and merely placed my 4K disc in the DVD(?!) slot of my steelbook.

There was a little ceremony and everything. It was kinda like the end of Wrath of Khan, but more sombre and less Horner.

I've got the vhs, dvd and arrow blu ray, I'm not getting this...I'm not.
I have to show the same will power I showed with Die Hard.

I'm probably getting this...

I want this so bad. Can't afford right now, but top of the "When things get back to normal" list.

Much to @Tom Davies chagrin, I cancelled my order and merely placed my 4K disc in the DVD(?!) slot of my steelbook.

There was a little ceremony and everything. It was kinda like the end of Wrath of Khan, but more sombre and less Horner.
So you just put your head back and screamed "Kiiiiiing" instead of "Khaaaaan!"?

Ordered. Thanks for the review

I want this so bad. Can't afford right now, but top of the "When things get back to normal" list.

I'm pushing for a 4K comp but Arrow (not wholly unjustifiably) give the impression that this kinda stuff sells itself. Fingers crossed!

I've got the vhs, dvd and arrow blu ray, I'm not getting this...I'm not.
I have to show the same will power I showed with Die Hard.

I'm probably getting this...

I mean, it's Arrow, so you really should.

They took their time getting into the format, but they've knocked it out of the park so far.

Pitch Black
US Flash
King of New York

Crash has been delayed but I've got Tremors 4K in house and I'm sure it'll be another one that defies logic in how damn good it can look in 4K DV.

They do good work on films that you really wouldn't expect to land on 4K (not wholly unlike Studiocanal), sorting out proper native 4K restorations with professionally implemented Dolby Vision, and porting the extras - old AND new - onto the actual 4K disc. And that's even before the packaging.

They go above and beyond on some juicy cult classics, and that's just what the format needs at the moment, so I wouldn't hesitate in supporting them (heads back to Amazon to un-cancel order)...

I mean, it's Arrow, so you really should.

They took their time getting into the format, but they've knocked it out of the park so far.

Pitch Black
US Flash
King of New York

Crash has been delayed but I've got Tremors 4K in house and I'm sure it'll be another one that defies logic in how damn good it can look in 4K DV.

They do good work on films that you really wouldn't expect to land on 4K (not wholly unlike Studiocanal), sorting out proper native 4K restorations with professionally implemented Dolby Vision, and porting the extras - old AND new - onto the actual 4K disc. And that's even before the packaging.

They go above and beyond on some juicy cult classics, and that's just what the format needs at the moment, so I wouldn't hesitate in supporting them (heads back to Amazon to un-cancel order)...
Nah I'm with you mate, I try to keep myself to a set of rules (that I break on occasion), I buy blu ray upgrades of my dvd collection if they're less than 8 quid and take the dvds to work for whoever wants them, I don't upgrade my blu rays because they look good enough (except when I do, because I'm weak), and the uhd discs are restricted to movies I don't own at all.
I love that companies like Arrow give us these classics at a level of quality nobody ever expected but I'm going to really really try to wait for a deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom