King Kong on HD-DVD X-Box

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Albion, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Whilst I acknowledge that King Kong is absolutely staggering on HD-DVD,has anyone else noticed the slight noise in the dark misty scenes around the ships main lights and in the dark background as it approaches Skull Island.

I'm not sure how to term this noise,but it would be helpful to know the technical term when reading reviews of other HD-DVD's

I am viewing on a Toshiba 37WL66P via the X-BOX add-on.

2. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    It's called FOG

:eek:

Sorry...
    :devil:

3. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Now chaps I say?...58 views.So that means either:

a)None of you have KK on HD-DVD.

b)You have KK,but you haven't noticed any noise.

c)You have KK,but you have noticed a little noise.

or

d)You come into b) or c) and think its a non-issue and why am I bothering to ask.

And if I get 58 replies as answer d) I'll agree with you.;)

4. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Cant say I noticed TBH ....

I'l check now tho' :smashin:

Well I'm no expert but I've just scaned a few scenes on a Tosh 32WL56 and a 720 PJ and I can't see any problems with noise around the lights in the fog..

Not saying it's definately not there, but I didn't notice it.

5. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks B/M.Maybe I'm being ultra critical.Its more predominant,if that's the right word, in the some of the dark B/G misty scenes.TBH its only evident with the main ship light in a couple of scenes, as it approaches the island.

Its a kind of segmented/step effect,but with definite edges.As I say it is noticeable.I haven't seen it anywhere else in the film.

6. djmimic

djmimic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I noticed some noise in the fog detail also, nothing to serious but yeah...its definatly there. Only place in the movie I have seen it though.

7. Lunny73

Lunny73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    d) for me! ;)

8. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks to all for entering the spirit of my post.Pretty much a non issue then,but at least djmimic has confirmed my observations.

As I say apart from this minor niggle Outstanding quality.:)

9. swanny78

swanny78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    if its a step effect of patches of similar colour is called macro blocking. You get it scenes with fog and mist, or use of a lot of similar colour. Normally due to a bad scaler. Ive watched it on my setup and can't see it im afraid, might be the telly. Are you using component or VGA, try the other?

10. djmimic

djmimic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Im using it over component, tv is an LG 32LX2R, Wonder if its the scaler in my tv then. Hmmm interesting. Anyway as I said its only in that one bit......

11. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Toshiba 37WL66P Over Component.The Toshiba range is popular and well
    received,so if it is bad scaling there must be an awful lot of others seeing the same effects.

Although I am unable to link my PC up to my Toshiba I also see the effect on my iiyama Vision Master pro CRT Monitor when X-BOX addon connected to PC using Power DVD 7.1 HD-DVD.

My monitor is set to 1024x768.Now I've heard it said that Monitors are not the best in terms of scaling.

12. BBXepha

BBXepha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you know on Saturday if I get the same problem Albion... just got atext that a friend visiting relatives in Florida has picked me up the HD-Dvd add on with King kong... will have a looksee, btw running on a 40" Bravia.

13. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    I'm not sure about the 32WL66P but I know the 32WL56 does have problems with banding. I've noticed this on all sources from DVD to NTL, although HD-DVD seems to have fewer issues. (although I've mainly been using the PJ since getting HD) I think it may be partly due to the screen only having 8bit colour, as the newer screens (and possibly the 66P ?) have 10 bit colour. This could be nonsense of course... :D

When you said noise, I was looking for 'digital noise' which I thought was very similar to grain in a way, although you can see the difference between the two.

If it's colour banding that's annoying you. I'd suggest it was the screen, I first noticed it when I got my LCD, on material, that had never displayed it before on a CRT of the same size. :rolleyes:

14. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well KK certainly does'nt have any annoying grain like you do see in dark areas of a DVD from time to time.You seem to be describing the effect I am experiencing.You've basically answered my question (as did djmimic) that the
    artifacts are noticeable even on good displays,yet you say you've not noticed it on your 32WL56.How is it connected?

BBXepha.Yes I'd be interested to know if you notice any similar banding referred to by BM.

15. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    My Xbox is connected via VGA to both the Tosh and PJ.

I doubt the connection will make a difference though. I will have another look, on another night, (downloading some demos at the mo) and see if there is any banding. It's possible, but from the various discs I've got HD is far less prone to it than SD even on the same display for some reason? ?

I wonder if the way you have your settings on the Tosh may exaggerate the banding somehow? It could explain the lack of people noticing this.

16. Albion

Albion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Blimey topics move pretty quickly on this forum!

You know BM I have the feeling your last comment maybe right.
    Having checked out the setting thread for the Toshiba 32/37WL66 in the LCD forum,I notice there is a lot of disagreement about the backlight level.

It seems some have it high whilst others state that too high a backlight level
    affects proper gradation of blacks.I wonder if it may also highlight unnecessary background noise.Use of the Video Essentials Disc to establish the right settings indicate a backlight level between 25-30.At least thats what those in the know seem to recommend
    For some this is very low.I'm begining to think the low backlighters are right.

I watched a SKY recording in HD of Star Wars last night and noticed that
    in the Cantina sequence that artifacting was displayed in certain backgrounds.It was also evident on other textures in other shots.I was surprised with this as generally there was a good response to the quality.

You know what?I played back those problem scenes with backlight set to 28.
    The noise either dis-appeared or was reduced to a level where you had to look hard to see anything.Another thing was that black gradation was much better.Previously I had noticed that gradation to black was more abrupt and artifical.The overall look,was natural and seemed smooth and appealing.In other words better quality.
    Now ironically I have'nt been able to check this out with KK yet because the X-BOX is in my son's room all linked up to his amp and TV,and he tend's also to be using it a lot (not surprising),but I now anticipate that the noise will be reduced to a non-issue.
    It is perhaps understandable now why those with Sky HD watching Star Wars and those already with HD-DVD will not experience noise,because they have taken the time to make sure their setups are optimised.

The objection to a low backlight level is that it is just to dim.In fact I bet someone drops down the backlight after having watched it at a high level for some time.This is exactly what you would expect.They may not give themselves time to appreciate the difference it can make,so they immediately
    put the backlight level right backup again.I should know because that is precisely what I did,when I first tried it.

So BM is your Backlight level generally set lower or higher.
    I hope after expounding on about it I know what your answer will be.

So is it :thumbsup: or:suicide:

17. Deeez Nuuutz

Deeez Nuuutz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,126
    I've watched KK on my Xbox and its pretty much picture perfect throughout.

Haven't noticed anything like you've mentioned.

18. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    Well I'm glad you're pleased with how it looks now. :smashin:

TBH, I'm not sure what my backlight setting is. I'll check tonight, I expect it is higher as (unfortunately) my LCD is infront of a window, although I have a thickish voil over that window, and of course it isn't a problem at night, during the day I found it better to increase the backlight due to the effect the window 'background' has on how the LCD looks. So I expect my backlight will be higher.

It does go to show why settings vary between setups, and can only be used as a guide.

Thats another advantage with the PJ, the screen blocks out the window when it's down. ;)

:thumbsup: