1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"King Kong" cast

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by the_pauley, Aug 18, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Cast list for Peter Jackson's "King Kong" (note King Kong/Lumpy the Cook!)

Cast (in alphabetical order)

Jamie Bell.... ???
    Jack Black .... Carl Denham
    Adrien Brody .... Jack Driscoll
    Kyle Chandler.... ???
    Stephen Hall .... Key Venture Crew
    Colin Hanks .... Young Actor
    Thomas Kretschmann .... Captain Englehorn
    Evan Parke .... 1st Mate
    Andy Serkis .... King Kong/Lumpy the Cook
    John Sumner .... Herb
    Naomi Watts .... Ann Darrow

2. Monty_Python

Monty_Python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy serkis is not the only one to have been involved with Peter Jackson's Lord of the rings trilogy - WETA (The NZ SFX house), who did the hobbit ears, feet and rendered gollum are also working on KK

3. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Think you'll find that WETA did a bit more than Gollum and hobbit ears and feet on the LOTR trilogy!

I'm presuming from AS being billed as Kong that he's repeating his body reference chores a la Gollum? Anyone know if this is the case?

4. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Was is Jackson remaking this?????? Destined to be rather poor methinks.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The script has been available on-line for a couple of years. If the movie is half as good as what's on the printed page we should be in for a treat.

And I speak as a devoted fan of the original KK.

I must admit though that Jack Black gives me pause... :rolleyes:

6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original was on television today, looking forward to Warners restored version which should hit DVD next year ( heard they might have discovered the long lost spider footage in europe somewhere but not sure )

I think this remake will be miles better than that terrible 70's version, the sole highlight of that film was Jessica Lange, i have read this remake is being true to the original and having a prehistoric world so it should be atmospheric with Jackson at the helm.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The last news on the spider footage, was that the researchers had recently discovered that in 1933 a couple of prints complete with the scene were shipped to The Phillipines before Cooper had made his decision to remove the sequence. Investegations were afoot in The Phillipines just over a year ago.

Other than that all that remains in the archive is one still, a couple of pre-production sketches and the audio track for the sequence. It would be incredible to see the actual clip, as this lost sequence is one of the Holy Grails of cinema, but don't hold your breath...

According to those who have seen it, the restoration job on the movie is a jaw dropper - so at least we have that to look forward to - and hopefully we will get to some of O'Brien's early test footage in the extras.

The "Creation" test footage still exists, which hopefully will be included as it is a key component in the genesis of "Kong" but not sure how much of KK's test reels have been preserved. Only evidence to date is stills.

I too think that the project is in very safe hands with Jackson. He is a huge fan of the original and the script reflects that affection. It is essentially the story we know and loved slightly tweaked and enhanced.

Jackson's script does include the spider pit sequence, and reading it, a couple of scenes vividly recapture images in O'Brien's original pre-production sketches.

Given Jackson's and Weta's track record with their recent fantasy project (name escapes me...) I hope we will be in for a treat with his remake of "Kong".

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Great paragraph from Jackson's script:

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +950
    yep, he's confirmed it in various interviews. I read it fairly recently in (I think) Total Film.

10. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Now you're talking my language. :devil:

It's just a BIG shame that Jackson is not doing 'War of the Worlds' in the original setting, something which Spielberg may not be doing :oops:

War of the worlds about a 1000x better than King Kong could ever be. :lesson:

11. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Did you get your crystal ball on Amazon or E-bay Gorshin? ;)

12. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    King Kong will be pretty poor compared to what Jackson could have done with War of The Worlds.

13. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

Crystal Ball-Wow? Crystal Ball-Soon.com?

14. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I'm really looking forward to Jackson's remake of Kong - and I too am a huge fan of the original - as I think he has proved himself in handling fantasy material better than most other modern film makers working today. From reading various interviews, he obviously loves the material and WETA have proven themselves to be at least equal to the ILM's/Digital Domain's of this world.

As for the cast, well I think it's pretty interesting although I admit I did raise an eyebrow when I heard Jack Black's name mentioned. I can see Carl Denham as a slightly tongue in cheek role and as long as Black doesn't go too OTT, he could be OK. We'll have to see what Jackson brings out of him.

Adrien Brody isn't your obvious leading action man, but I think this may work in his favour and make Jack Driscoll a more interesting and believable character.

As for Naomi Watts...I think she is one of the most talented new actresses around and is a great choice for Ann Darrow.

I think the signs are good on this one and I for one have faith in Jacksons talent and ability to pull this off and do the original justice (unlike the '76 version, which you knew was in trouble when one of its FX team - Rick Baker - tried to convince the producers not to use himself or Carlo Rambaldi and hire Ray Harryhausen instead! The producers ignored him, of course)

The last I heard about Jackson's script, BTW, is that they've thrown it out and have started a complete re-write. It's still going to be set in the '30's though, so no need to panic too much.

15. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes, apparently now in the re-written version, two-thirds of the movie's running time will be devoted to events on Skull Island.

16. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    This is such a incorrect view of the VFX industry. Its not a footbal league.

Firstly DD did actually work on LOTR as did Sony Imageworks it wasn't just Weta although they did most of the work.The 3d pipeline at Weta was pretty much built by ex-ILM staff and works along a very similar premise ( so I am reliably informed). Weta also worked on I,Robot although DD did the bulk of the work.

Secondly the bulk of the artists at WETA and indeed the rest of the industry are freelance and move about on a film to film basis. (ilm are mostly permanent but most people can only take the factory like regime for so long contrary to its reputation as a creative place).

The same guys that do LOTR are the same guys that do I,Robot and Day After Tomorrow and Matrix and Harry Potter and anything else you care to mention its a very very small industry. ( I estimate about 2000 artists worldwide) I know and have worked and am working with people that have worked at all of these companies. ( I probably have more friends that work at Weta than I have here these days! Although an awful lot of them came over here to work on HP3)

There is more to doing successful VFX work than a big building with a bunch of workstations in it. A lot has to do with money and a lot has to do with the director.
    As an individual , artists do not last long if they cannot hack it ( thank god as poor artists make more work for decent ones). A lot of it has to do with good artists spending a lot of time making things look good and thats got nothing to do with where you happen to be at the time.

This company or that company type of comparissons are of little relevance in the VFX industry.

With the right people, project and a bundle of cash you can set up an oscar winning VFX house anywhere. (Manex for example) However that doesn't mean as an organisation the company itself is particularly important (Manex for example!).

17. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hmmm, didn't mean to offend anyone there.

I am aware that the FX industry is a more complex work arena than I made it out to be - I was merely using (admittedly clumsy) short hand to say that from their work on the LOTR trilogy alone, I'm confident that WETA as a company are capable of bringing together a group of creative artists and technicians who can achieve potentially great results with Kong.