Kinect with a 2 year old

John Martin

Established Member
Reaction score
Barton Under Needwood, Burton On Trent, United Kin
Well, tried to get our 2 and half year old granddaughter to use the Kinect. Ever tried to explain to such a small person how to make the calibration "moves"? Eventually I knelt/crouched and pretended to be her while calibrating it, then started the game with me on on my knees and her in front of me, then swiftly exited myself. She loved it and quickly got the hang of the river rafting game, but it kept pausing when she moved to far forward etc. Have to wait till she's a bit older, I suppose ... :)

Do you need to get her to calibrate the sensor? I calibrated ours, and my daughter (3 in Feb) can just step in front of the camera and it picks her up and tracks her movements without any problem. She sometimes has to stand slightly closer to the tv than I do, but not by much. We managed just fine with the river rapids in co-op. One really good feature is that when she runs off mid-game, her avatar just disappears and I can carry on on my own. When she returns, the sensor picks her up again and she reappears in the raft.

The only real issue with playing with her is that she won't stay in one place while we navigate the menu screens and the sensor has a nightmare trying to work out who is supposed to be in control of the menu screen and who is the player on the left or right.

She also manages the bowling in kinect sports really well. Provided your granddaughter can follow the instructions - "hand above your head", "hand out to the side", "arm back and forward", she will be getting strikes in no time (or throwing the ball into the crowd!).

Last edited:
I did a calibration for myself, but when I just tried putting the toddler there instead of me, it didn't pick her up. Alas, my study is rather tight on space, and isn't wide enough for 2 players, so she really needs to be able to start the games by herself. The main problem is that she hasn't quite got the hang of having her hand open, palm towards screen, and when she flops her hand down it loses her and goes into PAUSE. Pity, because she was really enjoying herself. :cool:

I still don't know whether to calibrate the sensor for each player. I just wish it would remember the sensor settings for each user - especially when they are of vastly different size!

My Kinect is fastened to the base of the Sony 40" with blutak ATM, pending some more permanent and rigid solution.

Last edited:
She also manages the bowling in kinect sports really well. Provided your granddaughter can follow the instructions - "hand above your head", "hand out to the side", "arm back and forward", she will be getting strikes in no time (or throwing the ball into the crowd!).

My eldest lad is 3 1/2, and he was playing the bowling with his grandparents yesterday. Like ajcham says we had to instruct him but he could follow us and play on his own, though granted half the time the ball went flying into the crowd as he would be turned to look at us behind him.

The biggest plus to Kinect is that there are no controllers, so young children can actually get involved even if by simply watching and copying you.

My eldest lad is 3 1/2, and he was playing the bowling with his grandparents yesterday. Like ajcham says we had to instruct him but he could follow us and play on his own, though granted half the time the ball went flying into the crowd as he would be turned to look at us behind him.

The biggest plus to Kinect is that there are no controllers, so young children can actually get involved even if by simply watching and copying you.

The main problem was that the sensor seemed to keep losing her, and going into PAUSE. I suspect coop play would work well, but my study/AV room is only 9ft wide and 18" of that is taken up by LP shelving on one side and CD shelving on the other - so not really room for 2 players side by side.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom