• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kinect Sensor Has Died

Epicurus

My god what a painful experience trying to organise replacement is. My launch day Kinect sensor has failed to power up tonight. I followed all the Xbox.com support steps and of course it still doesn't work. I then have to register my device because apparently even though Microsoft sent me emails thanking me for buying an Xbox One, they don't register your console automatically.

5 minutes later I try filling out an online repair request but it fails at the last moment, and does so twice more giving me some website error. I then try the online chat and have to go through the whole process again. They agree to send me another Kinect after 15 minutes, except I now have to speak to UK support! They organise a call back and I have to then go through account security for the third time, and explain my problem for the third time to an Irishman whose every second word is "grand" and everything else I couldn't understand. Oh and by the way apparently they have to log a charge of £160 to my credit card in case I don't send my Kinect back!

If you got bored reading this, imagine how I felt having to go through it... Really disappointed with the Xbox One right now.

kav

Distinguished Member
Haven't you seen the news? This is just normal behaviour, all Kinects are designed to fail by June. ;)

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
A bit of useless information now, but if you ever have an issue with trying to arrange a repair via the site, get them to call you back.
NEVER attempt the chat.
Lots of people have complained how crap it is.
The hold-over charge is normal, and I wish they'd have offered it for the controller I had to send back as I was without a controller for a week and a half.

The support/repair site does seem rather crap.
I too had issues trying to register my Xbox One.
I tried a few times, and every time it ended up saying I had no registered devices.
Although it did let me register my Xbox360 without any problems.
Once your Xbox One is registered, all should be okay.
Unless you want to use the repair options.
Again, just request a call back rather than trying to get it sorted via the site or using the chat.

Epicurus

Yeah I'll be prepared next time. It was just the fact that the website suggested two other ways for me to get the repair done before defaulting to a call back!

Sounds like the Kinects go wrong a lot, frustrating as half of us don't want it and now they are releasing a Kinect-less console!

Lostsoul 301281

Distinguished Member
I'm half inclined to agree.
If the Titanfall bundle hadn't come out I probably wouldn't have been getting an Xbox One until a lot later.
It was a nice price cut/bundle, with a saving of £80.
The new Kinect-less package is okay, but there aren't currently any game bundles in this package.
I'm not too fussed about Kinect, so if it breaks down I won't be too bothered about being without it while it gets replaced.

paul1979

Distinguished Member
You don't need and bugger all is going to use it now. Now worries

Kevstir

Mines died last week, I got as far as registering and like the op I got the the last section to request a repair and the site crashed, will request a call back I think , not my luck this last 2 weeks , first the kinect dies and now my onkyo 509 receiver has developed the deeded hdmi board failure , and it's out of warranty :-(

Epicurus

Now that people don't have to have it, what chance will there be of a developer taking a risk making a game taking full advantage of the Kinect?

Sorry Kevstir, but save yourself the hassle and go straight for the call back.

Last edited:

fliegenaffe

My Kinect died on me, no idea why, it just has no power. I had to pay a 'holding' fee for the Kinect...£126! If they don't get it back within 14 days or they think I've tampered with it (why would I??) then they'll charge me for it!! So much for a 'free' replacement. They're sending out a new one, then I put my old one in the box that the new one comes in, and contact UPS so they can collect it. I chose the advanced exchange option as the standard option meant I'd have to be without the Kinect until the replacement arrived. Yes I know the Kinect is generally crap, but I find it handy for recording game clips (when it actually understands me!). You're right about the Irish repeating a phrase, the bloke didn't say grand but he kept saying crack on (about a dozen times in a minute)

turk3y

Mine seemed dead but a full power down of the console and wait then reboot and it's been fine since.

Don't worry on the 14 days bit I replaced the main console and took longer than that to return it and no charge, even if they do they will refund as soon as they get the device back, it's actually quite good as you get a replacement much quicker and they give you the details to arrange collection so just box up the old one in the packing the new one comes in and call FedEx (I think mine was through). Left mine at reception at work and was all done.

Wish more placed did credit card holds on replacement services tbh.

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
My four day old Kinect stopped working two days ago. I rang MS Support and was given two options for replacement. One which is free but could see me without the Kinect for up to four weeks or pay MS £150 and they would swap it out within five days.

My third option was much better and I got compensation for my troubles. I simply returned the item to the shop, due to their own rules they had to swap the entire product. This gave me another free month of Live Gold plus another code for the game that is bundled with the console. So I can sell that on and get some cash back.

The MS tech told me there is a problem with the volt regulator in the Kinect and when it fails the unit stops. I have no idea if this is true just repeating what I was told.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
My four day old Kinect stopped working two days ago. I rang MS Support and was given two options for replacement. One which is free but could see me without the Kinect for up to four weeks or pay MS £150 and they would swap it out within five days.

My third option was much better and I got compensation for my troubles. I simply returned the item to the shop, due to their own rules they had to swap the entire product. This gave me another free month of Live Gold plus another code for the game that is bundled with the console. So I can sell that on and get some cash back.

The MS tech told me there is a problem with the volt regulator in the Kinect and when it fails the unit stops. I have no idea if this is true just repeating what I was told.

To be clear, you don't pay MS £150, they simply hold that amount on your card and charge it IF you don't return the broken kinect to them after they've sent you a new one.

It is simply a way of speeding up the process but MS having the insurance of a charge that can be levied in case you're trying to scam them out of a free kinect or xbox or whatever.....

DAZ UK 74

Distinguished Member
I was told by the Tech that they hold the money so although they don't take it the bank remove that amount from your funds available. So they still take the money but it doesn't go to them.

I only went on what he told me.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I was told by the Tech that they hold the money so although they don't take it the bank remove that amount from your funds available. So they still take the money but it doesn't go to them.

I only went on what he told me.

Yes that is right, it was just the use of the word "pay". You don't pay them a penny if you return the broken device.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom