Kinect pays the price for Microsoft's new approach - AVForums Article

kav

Distinguished Member
Good article Mark, nice to read something Xbox-related that isn't full of barbed comments.

The gaming community seems to be split between those who think this is a sensible, if disappointing decision to ensure sales, and those who think Kinect was the X1s only USP, and it is now little more than an underpowered PS4 and is therefore even less likely to sell. I'm inclined to support the former view, as it is games that sell consoles, not power. Clearly MS have reverted to putting their eggs in the games basket - I hope they can deliver.

On that note, is AVF intending to send anyone to cover E3? It's shaping up to be excellent.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
Well I didn't see that one coming - said no one, ever.

supahyp

I have to say as a person who brought a ps4 then returned it once I realised how crippled it was as a mutimedia device compared to the ps3 , I really hope the xbox folk improve this side of the console .
I will buy whichever next gen console gives me 3d blu ray and netflix 3d , and a camera which works well with a projector .

1080 jawbreaker

£350 is stil over priced, it was 399 with Kinect and Titanfall. This needs to hit the magic 299.99

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Good article Mark, nice to read something Xbox-related that isn't full of barbed comments.

The gaming community seems to be split between those who think this is a sensible, if disappointing decision to ensure sales, and those who think Kinect was the X1s only USP, and it is now little more than an underpowered PS4 and is therefore even less likely to sell. I'm inclined to support the former view, as it is games that sell consoles, not power. Clearly MS have reverted to putting their eggs in the games basket - I hope they can deliver.

On that note, is AVF intending to send anyone to cover E3? It's shaping up to be excellent.

Yep, games shift machines, and it's always easier to work from a position of price parity. Underpowered consoles can still be hugely successful - underpowered consoles that cost in excess of than their competition though? Well, they need more than a few exclusives, and I'm unconvinced Kinect was ever likely to redress that balance.

It's always a shame when a USP goes, but at some point a harsh decision needed to be made. If it gets the console into a healthy lead in a key territory, and the money is put towards more exclusives, it will have been worth it.

As for E3, I think we'll be armchair spectators again this year. You're right though, it's shaping up to be a good'un.

Rawschach

Distinguished Member
totally agree Mark - i am still on the fence over which to buy as neither has an exclusive game which i really want. I have a PS3 and a 360 - much prefer the 360 despite it having 'less power' and only owned about 5 games on PS3 (though last of us is fantastic)

This is a good move IMO (though a shame as a decent kinect game would have been good) but since you could get the Titanfall pack for £350, surely they need to knock these out at £299 with a game and that will really get sales going.

PS4 at £349 and Xboxone at £349 - at the moment i would lean towards the PS4

Some exclusive top drawer games would help both machines

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Another product based on what someone wanted to sell instead of what someone else wanted to buy?
As supahyp said, media support matters these days.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Another product based on what someone wanted to sell instead of what someone else wanted to buy?
As supahyp said, media support matters these days.
I think the "Sell them what they don't realise they want" philosophy can work just fine (Apple seem to do ok with it), but there's simply no room for error.

I still think MS's vision was a sound one, but with Don Mattrick at the helm, the messages that were coming out of MS were poor and they shot themselves in the foot (several times).

If any of the original PR team are still in gainful employment at MS, then their boss(es) should be fired, as they way they handled things was simply atrocious.

[Edit] - Sometimes you need that "Sell them what we want to sell" mentality.

If no one ever went down that path, innovation would be stifled.

Look at the iPad as a great example of this and later in the year, the iWatch.

When it's done well, that approach can literally be a real game changer, but when it's not...

DeeTeeCollins

I had a day one edition, Wasn't impressed with it. Felt like Microsoft forced the use of Kinect on you and focused on multimedia rather than gaming. Suppose its down to personal preference really, but i won't be sticking with Microsoft's next gen

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
I had a day one edition, Wasn't impressed with it. Felt like Microsoft forced the use of Kinect on you and focused on multimedia rather than gaming. Suppose its down to personal preference really, but i won't be sticking with Microsoft's next gen
Out of interest, what weren't you impressed with (apart from MS bundling Kinect with the console)?

DeeTeeCollins

Out of interest, what weren't you impressed with (apart from MS bundling Kinect with the console)?

I wasn't keen on the interface. Didn't like the idea that you couldn't use an external HDD to play media, no battery meter/indication for the joypad and other niggles, however i hear this is fixed now? No arcade section and games on demand are very very expensive. Just wasn't for me and I wasn't impressed by it. The size of the console was ridiculous, but I understand its needed for the power it provides. Other than telling the console to on and off without picking up a joypad, I never used Kinect. It felt like Microsoft cared more about linking the console to Sky and Cable boxes, and the use of entertainment apps, than they did the gaming side of it. Don't get me wrong, iv been an xbox gamer for donkeys now, ill maybe consider one in later years. Just didn't feel excited about the console

kav

Distinguished Member
The curse of being an early adopter @Dan Collins. :)

One point on games, they intentionally brought all games under a single header as their view is games are games, regardless of type.

DeeTeeCollins

The curse of being an early adopter @Dan Collins. :)

One point on games, they intentionally brought all games under a single header as their view is games are games, regardless of type.

Yeh so iv been told several times. I felt it was rushed into production. I'll hang on to see what happens in the future.

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the kinect being ditched, I don't plan on owning an xbox one but like others have said, now this has gone it isn't unique and other than the exclusives the PS4 will do all the kinect does. As early adopters I think you'd have a right to be hacked off, price reductions are expected but to take off something that was a USP to do it would be annoying, it would be nice if they were to offer those early adopters something for it, either a game or to buy the kinects back as they clearly won't be used as much in games now.

I still can't help but think that kinect is a great tool, I loved the idea but games seem to be largely kinect or gamepad, I'd really like to see a big title incorporate subtle extras but shout about them, so games like the star wars kinect game that turned out awful could have been more like the force unleashed but things like flinging enemies around was done using kinect, or something as simple as throwing a grenade in halo would be done and aimed by you letting go of the pad with one hand and actually throwing it. I don't really want to jump around to play my games but something simple like this could actually add to a game.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the kinect being ditched, I don't plan on owning an xbox one but like others have said, now this has gone it isn't unique and other than the exclusives the PS4 will do all the kinect does. As early adopters I think you'd have a right to be hacked off, price reductions are expected but to take off something that was a USP to do it would be annoying, it would be nice if they were to offer those early adopters something for it, either a game or to buy the kinects back as they clearly won't be used as much in games now.

I still can't help but think that kinect is a great tool, I loved the idea but games seem to be largely kinect or gamepad, I'd really like to see a big title incorporate subtle extras but shout about them, so games like the star wars kinect game that turned out awful could have been more like the force unleashed but things like flinging enemies around was done using kinect, or something as simple as throwing a grenade in halo would be done and aimed by you letting go of the pad with one hand and actually throwing it. I don't really want to jump around to play my games but something simple like this could actually add to a game.

That happened in BF4. Leaning, you leaned your body, head tracking to look round vehicles.

It worked very well, but the competitive FPS scene is probably not where kinect shines brightest.

And to be clear, kinect is not gone or ditched. Simply there will be a choice of buying an X1 with or without kinect. I know that it brings implications, but just for clarity.....

Steelhorse75

I have an Xbox one - im trying to sell it - just dont get time to play it! Either im underwhelmed or just getting too old for gaming!

captainchats

My kinect doesn't really get used, only some times with voice commands and even then can be sketchy.

They will have to do something with that god dam awful UI though it's just not controller pad friendly.

siddrummer

I own and Xbox One i purchased it 4 months ago for my teenage son and me to use. He owns a 360 and never uses the One as basically he cannot get online to play games / talk to his mates who dont own one's. To me this is another serious error on Microsofts part no cross console party option, the kids dont wanna know the One if thats not happening.. Plus there are no killer games, no massive next gen graphic leap, online games purchase a rip off, total external media device lockdown and not even a refreshed demo download section since purchase, is that too much to ask ?. Now no kinect! Seriously i look at the 1 everyday and wish i'd got a Ps4 even if to guarantee being able to play Uncharted 4 or last of us 2 when released! Xbox 1 just feels pointless at the moment all i use it for is a decent Netflix and Youtube interface. Very disappointed.

Xclorist

From what I have noticed, most people that have gripes with the Xbox One are purely things that are missing at the software level, not the hardware, Granted, most of these features are being added over time, But you can tell the console was rushed into production, even to the point of hardware revisions so late in the dev cycle point to that.

The major downfall in my option was the fact that features that were present in the xbox 360 (like online friend notifications, external hard drive support and dlna media streaming) were left out at launch of the xbox one.. why release a next gen product with fundermental features of the last gen missing just doesn't make sense...

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
From what I have noticed, most people that have gripes with the Xbox One are purely things that are missing at the software level, not the hardware, Granted, most of these features are being added over time, But you can tell the console was rushed into production, even to the point of hardware revisions so late in the dev cycle point to that.

The major downfall in my option was the fact that features that were present in the xbox 360 (like online friend notifications, external hard drive support and dlna media streaming) were left out at launch of the xbox one.. why release a next gen product with fundermental features of the last gen missing just doesn't make sense...
That's not just xbox though, there's the same going on in the PS4 forums, even more so as there was a lot of thing the PS3 did very well that the PS4 can't do at all and sony don't seem to be showing any signs of adding the features. Both rushed to market to beat each other, admittedly the xbox is the better media wise but you can't help buy think if both had waited 6 months we may have got products that were a bit more ready for their day in the sun

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The truth is that the software on the 360 developed exponentially post release to where it stands now. The amount of work in that was spread over years and years.

To launch a new console with a new OS (3 in XBox One's case) new features and systems probably is a massive undertaking in itself. To then be able to recreate the exact functionality of the previous system that developed gradually over 8 years is probably nigh on impossible. They work to a tight roadmap and will have planned the features to prioritise.

I think people overlook that this is a totally different OS and architecture. It wasn't a case of porting over the 360 OS and tweaking it a bit.

You're essentially asking them to compress 8 years of OS development into a few months.

Xclorist

That's not just xbox though, there's the same going on in the PS4 forums, even more so as there was a lot of thing the PS3 did very well that the PS4 can't do at all and sony don't seem to be showing any signs of adding the features. Both rushed to market to beat each other, admittedly the xbox is the better media wise but you can't help buy think if both had waited 6 months we may have got products that were a bit more ready for their day in the sun
I have a PS4 as well, but cant comment too much on that as I dont use it nearly as much, such a shame, I guess its the same with every product launch with early adopters. just wish the people that buy these products understood that they will see an evolution, and not be so quick to jump ship. Equally they should have given game developers more time with the hardware on both sides and launched with a good suite of titles to show off the hardware they are trying to push

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
I have a PS4 as well, but cant comment too much on that as I dont use it nearly as much, such a shame, I guess its the same with every product launch with early adopters. just wish the people that buy these products understood that they will see an evolution, and not be so quick to jump ship. Equally they should have given game developers more time with the hardware on both sides and launched with a good suite of titles to show off the hardware they are trying to push
The other thing a lot of people did was sell their old machines to get the new ones and I think that's where the complaints are coming from, so in sonys case a lot of people sold a good media player in the PS3 to get a machine that can't play anything that isn't a dvd or blu ray and then complained that they no longer have a media player. It's not sony and MS's fault on that note as they were perfectly clear that these machines won't do that straight away. As pointed out though the 360 has had 8 years to get where it is, the UI is completely different, it now has HDMI and wifi and when it launched VOD was youtube and that was about it, it's kept up remarkably well. Hopefully the one will do the same, what part kinect will play in that though I don't know now it's not bundled in

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
I think people overlook that this is a totally different OS and architecture. It wasn't a case of porting over the 360 OS and tweaking it a bit.

You're essentially asking them to compress 8 years of OS development into a few months.

Lets be honest here, its not like they dont know the architecture or the OS!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Technics announces SL-G700M2 SACD and music streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
The Amazon Prime Early Access Sale 2022: 11-12 October
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Google set to launch the Pixel 7 and Pixel 7 Pro smartphones
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Focal launches Bathys noise-cancelling wireless headphones