Kinect: Opinions of those who have had a go

Noggleboggleman

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've heard plenty of opinions about Kinect on here: positive, negative, indifferent etc.

However, I was wondering if a thread that gives people who have actually had a go on it the chance to offer their opinion might be useful?

I'm interested and have preordered, watched all the vids etc, but I've not actually heard any unbiased opinions from actual users yet (bar the odd comment in the other Kinect thread). I'll never get to have a go before release myself, so I'd love to know what others think.

So, if you've had a go on it and some of the games, what do you think? Positives? Negatives? Comments on the reported 'lag'? Anything really!

Not being released until November. But, I'm getting a go on Friday...

Please note that those currently involved in the Kinect beta have signed an NDA. Discussing their views on the product before they are allowed to will see them promptly removed from the program.

Please note that those currently involved in the Kinect beta have signed an NDA. Discussing their views on the product before they are allowed to will see them promptly removed from the program.

I know that, but there are preview 'pods' currently touring the country, so I'm after the opinion of those who have had a go on them. They seem to be based mainly in the South (there is one at Alton Towers too I think), and seeing as I live in the Lake District, I don't think there is much chance of a visit near me!

I know that, but there are preview 'pods' currently touring the country, so I'm after the opinion of those who have had a go on them. They seem to be based mainly in the South (there is one at Alton Towers too I think), and seeing as I live in the Lake District, I don't think there is much chance of a visit near me!

Careful.......he is an ambassador and a moderator ;)

i thought the idea of a beta for kinect was to give people an idea of what the product is like?

doesn't make sense to then not let people give their opinions on it and just hope that people will just walk into a shop on release day and buy one.

Theyre everywhere, theyre watching!

And I have +1 on my post count!

:hiya:

I have played it and was very impressed. Have played kinect sports , joyride , your shape , sonic riders and kinect adventures and have watched others playing dance central. I had already got a preorder in and i will definitely picking mine up day one.
I think the lag thing is a bit of a none issue imo as it didnt effect any of the games i played except maybe joyride. Thats not to say there is no lag but you allow for it like you would in a controller based game. For example if you play street fighter you know to do the fire ball motion a split second before you need it.

I have played it and was very impressed. Have played kinect sports , joyride , your shape , sonic riders and kinect adventures and have watched others playing dance central. I had already got a preorder in and i will definitely picking mine up day one.
I think the lag thing is a bit of a none issue imo as it didnt effect any of the games i played except maybe joyride. Thats not to say there is no lag but you allow for it like you would in a controller based game. For example if you play street fighter you know to do the fire ball motion a split second before you need it.

Great to hear a good opinion of it by someone who has played it.

Is that the most pointless NDA yet? Please don't tell anyone you have Kinect and how cr*p it is :D Make them go to the pods and find out themselves :smashin:

Also could start on how pointless these Xbox Live ambassadors and Mods are but thats a different thread :rotfl:

Has no one else had a go yet?

Ive not had a god of one but its interesting and Im wondering what It'll be like. I had a go of the move over the weekend and I was impressed with the stuff I was playing so it kind of fuelled my expectations for the kinect.

If anything... least you dont have to spend an arm and a leg on controllers (aside from the initial cost of course)

Eurogamer have just announced Kinect will be at their Expo in London this weekend. I don't like the idea of Kinect but i'm gonna go earlier on sunday to try it out. Especially Dance central

Thats a surprisingly unbiased and interesting article. For sure I am going to wait until there are must buy games before I look at Move and Kinect.

Thats a surprisingly unbiased and interesting article. For sure I am going to wait until there are must buy games before I look at Move and Kinect.

The article being unbiased may be a surprise, but i have always rated Game Central for their reviews and gaming knowledge. They arose from the ashes of the late great Digitiser on teletext and then migrated to the Metro when teletext closed its doors last year.

Interesting read, and pretty much sums up my thoughts too - although I would argue with the statement about Move not having a killer app - Heavy Rain will probably be on a lot of PS3 owners shortlist for GOTY.

I want to give Kinect a go. My friend has Move so I tried that last weekend, to me it felt like a Wii with better graphics but he only has some Wii sports type game for it at the moment.

I think that article is spot on, neither Move or Kinect really interest me just now. I ain't 1 of the 300,000 that have bought Move to play a more accurate version of Wii Sports tennis and I won't be doing so in the near future.

I think Kinect does have some interesting possibilities to keep the hardcore gamers happy, with a combination of its voice recognition and the standard 360 controller, a combination of the 2 could be interesting if approached properly.

Either way, its far to early to write off either system just yet. I also believe Kinect will have some interesting titles launched at some point, that will take advantage of both Kinect and a standard controller, something along the lines of what I mention above.

As promised - mega Earlyflash update from EuroGamer Expo:

--

Let me level with you all, I was super skeptical about Kinect. I thought it was too expensive, too pointless tech with lag and other technical issues, but the tech really isn't as bad as it has been said in the press. The thing that struck me is how much the lag being evident is a title-specific issue, rather than an endemic problem with the hardware.

Joyride
A racing game where you use your hands out in front of you to control the car. I found this extremely difficult to control as there seemed to be quite a noticable lag between input and stuff happening on the screen, especially compared to a controller.

The tracks were, on the demo unit, pretty simple to combat this, but still found myself careering from side to side due to lag.

the racing was pretty insipid, very reminiscent of Mario Kart, and really not all that engaging. It may be that more development time and retail hardware will help make this a better experience, but right now I am yet to be convinced on this title.

Kinect Sports
The standard wii-killer package of Bowling, table tennis et al.

Table tennis was pretty good with no apparent lag or other issues to report, but the standout title for me was bowling which just worked and picked up enough detail to allow a high level of control over what was going on. I enjoyed this immensely and can see other members of the house playing this one quite a bit.

Of course, if you've got and enjoy Wii Sports, there's not enough dfferent here to pull you over, especially with the high kinect cost.

Kinect Adventures
A mini-game collection (rafting, leak plugging, etc). We've seen the rafting being demoed elsewhere already, btu having had a go on it, I'm still on the fence as to whether this is a good set of games or not. All of the mini-games stuck me as being pretty simple and not particularly challenging (it may well have been on easy), and hugely reminescent of EyeToy from the PS2 days. It just needed a window wiping game to finish off.

No significant lag here, but it occasionally felt like it got a bit confused.

Watching other people play the game, it struck me that no-one remembers that you can move physically from side to side, or back and forward, which is required for all of the mini-games that I played, so a bit of space in your play area, definitely required.

Dance Central
Dance Central is the game to get for Kinect. There was no lag visible, the game is incredibly engrossing and amazingly fun to play. I managed to get three or four goes on it, and I had a huge blast, I was smiling and laughing the entire time.

The big huge standout feature? No calibration. You just stand in front and go. Move and WiiMote need to copy this, it's a huge technological plus for kinect.

Interestingly hardly anyone would have a go (it was on a stage I suppse), guess Gamers really are quite introverted!

--

Overall, I'm so impressed with Dance Central, I've ordered a unit and game to play with. The rest, I'll wait and see how they turn out.

That's are great insight into Kinect :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom