Kinect-less XBOX One Confirmed for £349.99-Released 9th June 2014.

New Start Neil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To say that I'm shocked, would be the understatement of the year...

Kinectless Xbox One confirmed: will cost £349.99 in the UK
Available from 9th June

As per the rumours, a new version of the Xbox One is indeed set to launch without a bundled Kinect, and unsurprisingly, this edition will undergo a bit of a price reduction too.

As Microsoft has just confirmed on Xbox Wire, the Kinectless Xbox One will cost £349.99 and it'll be available from June 9th - just in time for E3.

More on this story as we hear it. In the meantime, we'll add it to our list of the best Xbox One deals in the UK. fancy grabbing yourself a bargain?

News: Kinectless Xbox One confirmed: will cost £349.99 in the UK - OXM UK

Now then, where all all those folks that said they'd absolutely buy one if it didn't come bundled with a spycam Kinect!? :laugh:

Last edited:
Or even the ones swearing blind MS would never sell a kinct-less X1? :D

Or even the ones swearing blind MS would never sell a kinct-less X1? :D
I've got no problem in saying I was one of them Al (as you well know ;) )

I am genuinely shocked at this move though.

There's also going to be a standalone Kinect offered, in case you buy a standalone One and decide later on that you want Kinect.

They must have something big planned for E3 if they're announcing this now...

Shocked and disappointed that they are uncoupling kinect.

The games with gold stuff though is good news as is the discount on games each month on X1.

They must have an absolutely mega E3 to be announcing all this now though. Clearing the way for games, games, games at E3.

Smart move, no doubt this gets a lot of people interested in getting an X1. Though it does make you wonder about the long-term direction for Kinect.

I really dont see the point of offering a Kinectless version though. They should just take the hit and include one and still have a Price Cut.

You just wont get as much out of the console without Kinect unless they are going to change how a lot of it works.

I think its a good thing. As long as they are going to let those who want to navigate the UI with kinect/voice controls but let the rest use a controller it can only offer more choice and make the console more appealing on the price front too. Well played MS. They obviously saw need to pull a rabbit out of the hat and I can only see this selling more Xboxes. I may even consider it in the future to replace my boy`s 360 so we`ve got both next gen consoles. Everyone`s a winner. Especially as games with gold is coming to X1 from June also.

I really dont see the point of offering a Kinectless version though. They should just take the hit and include one and still have a Price Cut.

You just wont get as much out of the console without Kinect unless they are going to change how a lot of it works.

I agree. Though perhaps perception plays a part. People who don't want a kinect just wouldn't go there unless they uncoupled it?

They must have something big planned for E3 if they're announcing this now...
Errrrr no they are getting this ridiculous news out of the way now so it didn't cast a massive shadow over the other announcements.

They said it would never come without kinect and it was a lie.... already!
Can they pizz off early buyers anymore lol

And forget any AAA games for kinect now the user base is split again lmao

I agree. Though perhaps perception plays a part. People who don't want a kinect just wouldn't go there unless they uncoupled it?

The perception wont change I reckon, its still the under powered console and imo Kinect made up for that.
Once you get used to using the console with it then it has its advantages.

The perception wont change I reckon, its still the under powered console and imo Kinect made up for that.
Once you get used to using the console with it then it has its advantages.

Agreed. But MS aren't speaking to the likes of us with this announcement!

Slightly gutted about this, the console now just seems like a PS4 but slightly less powerful.

The Kinect was a differentiator and developers (well mostly those making exclusives) knew it was available to console owners and could look at doing new and possibly interesting things with it. Now it feels more like the peripheral add-on it was with the 360.

I would have much rather MS just take the hit and reduced the price (even though I already own one and paid the old full price for it).

The Kinect is also a pretty cool bit of kit and is actually really cool to use. I hope this means that MS now focus on making the system easier to use with just a controller and add new features and options that make people want to go out and buy the Kinect.

But if this move makes them shift more consoles and in result means I get more top quality games that's great news :thumbsup:

The Games with Gold news is great though. Sounds like they are moving to a subscription model like Sony. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is a good game to see on the service as it's a great looking game from a studio that should get a bit of attention. Too bad (for me) I already own it and I'm not too interesting in Halo: Spartan Assault :p

The Games with Gold news is great though. Sounds like they are moving to a subscription model like Sony. Max: The Curse of Brotherhood is a good game to see on the service as it's a great looking game from a studio that should get a bit of attention. Too bad (for me) I already own it and I'm not too interesting in Halo: Spartan Assault :p

Yeah looks like you will need Gold to play the free games. Which is a shame imo and no different to PS+
I would of liked them to carry on the format from the 360 which would differentiate from PS+ then.

Max is a cracking little game. Well worth its full price imo.
Am looking forward to Halo, I held off thinking it might be part of this.

Bit late really. I already spent all my money on a PS4 as there was no Kinect-less version at launch.

This was obvious.

They thought that by bundling kinect developers would be forced into creating games which made use of it. . .that didn't happen and it's basically just a way to control the UI for most.

Now will this release up more power for games? The xbox one is already behind in hardware terms, but the kinect reservation used up even more valuable resources. . .but how can the free up power without crippling those who have kinect :S

Price is weird. It's not direct competition with PS4, both ship without a camera. . . Yet one is more powerful at the same price.

things like "xbox record that" and the lack of "share" button on the controller show it was always designed for voice, if they even dropped "Kinect" I had assumed would be at a console shrink when they also integrated the microphone array into the unit itself to continue voice navigation which regardless of player tracking ability is pretty cool.

As it stands a Kinectless Xbox is pandering to an over vocal internet minority who already have a PS4.

The issue for others was probably more price than Kinect as an item so a price cut would have done just as much for sales, I suppose perhaps they have ensured there are enough Kinects out there or seen the data on how many are unplugged and decided developers would see that also so making in optional would not affect its inclusion in games one way or the other.

Even taking it out the box all the resource allocation still needs to happen so these consoles will still have 10% gpu allocated to the Kinect they do not have, as will all of the SHAPE audio chip reserved for voice processing, they wont get a performance bump and the net is so gleefully reporting every slight difference between game releases I am not sure what break they expect to catch with this?

I do not think this is good news tbh and really it was only Kinect that swayed me towards to the Xbox over the PS4, so without possible long term support it feels mostly like being left high and dry and I do not even see the actual benefit to Xbox with this that the same price cut could not have achieved.

This was obvious.

They thought that by bundling kinect developers would be forced into creating games which made use of it. . .that didn't happen and it's basically just a way to control the UI for most.

Now will this release up more power for games? The xbox one is already behind in hardware terms, but the kinect reservation used up even more valuable resources. . .but how can the free up power without crippling those who have kinect :S

Price is weird. It's not direct competition with PS4, both ship without a camera. . . Yet one is more powerful at the same price.

So the power debate is starting already.

Kinect was used quite well in a few games and not just the UI, its used for Skype, Twitch and added to a few games such as BF4 with the leaning mechanic and voicing commands.
They already released resource back from Kinect in a update a few months back.

It's priced the same as PS4 and maybe some people may be interested in the games on the X1 rather than just Multiplats just having a few more pixels on the PS4.

I was all set to buy a PS3 last gen until I researched the games and discovered Halo & Gears of war so went 360. You never know people may do the same this gen and not be fussed over which is more powerful.

Disappointed and actually quite angry at this news. I bought into the whole vision of kinect and gaming. They better have some serious exclusives up their sleeves now.

Anyone surprised this news is out before E3?

I think this is good that they got this out now. It could give MS a little bit of positive PR (guess it depends on how MS spin it) going into E3 and it means the time this would have taken to announce at E3 is taken up by something else. We could get some bigger news E3.

Yeah looks like you will need Gold to play the free games. Which is a shame imo and no different to PS+
I would of liked them to carry on the format from the 360 which would differentiate from PS+ then.

Max is a cracking little game. Well worth its full price imo.
Am looking forward to Halo, I held off thinking it might be part of this.

Yeah bad for us gamers but it keeps people re-upping their subscription so I guess that's good news for MS.

Disappointed and actually quite angry at this news. I bought into the whole vision of kinect and gaming. They better have some serious exclusives up their sleeves now.

I'm not angry but am certainly annoyed slightly just because MS never seem to stick to their Guns and stick by what they believe to be the future. Seems they don't know what they want from this Gen of Console.

Better late than never I suppose (a kinectless option should have been made available at launch).

Havn't jumped on the next next gen console bandwagon yet and still leaning more towards the PS4 still but defo makes the Xbone a slightly more attractive proposition with some of its excess fat trimmed off.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom