• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kinect lenses mounted straight?

JonStatt

Prominent Member
Although my Kinect seems to be working fine, I have noticed that the lens for the RGB camera is not mounted straight. If the kinect is mounted absolutely parallel to the wall, and I tilt the camera down so it can see something with a straight line such as a floor board or shelf etc, then the camera is at an angle and not straight.

I am wondering if this may be intentional as I am not sure if the 3 lenses are supposed to converge at some point. But I just wondered if anyone else had noticed this?

BISHI

Distinguished Member
The whole array moves up and down independently to find best angle.

JonStatt

Prominent Member
The whole array moves up and down independently to find best angle.

Sorry I should have been clearer. I understand the array moves up and down. What I mean is that left to right it is not straight. In other words, if the kinect is dead straight parallel to the wall , the RGB camera is not looking dead straight...it is angled slightly to one side (in my case to its left). You can see this more easily by angling the camera down to a point parallel on the floor such as at a shelf or rug that you know is correctly straight in the room.

Smudge Mouse

Established Member
I would agree that not all Kinects are built exactly the same.

For me, the depth sensors are slightly twisted to the left by a couple of degrees (judging by the kinect tuner). I've put some little feet underneath it to counterbalance it. Didn't seem to affect the games much though.

RandomGuy

Established Member
I also have a slight tilt, but I can't really say it affects the gameplay. Height seems to be a key differentiator for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom