Kinect and disabled boy.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My kids would like the kinect for Xmas, but my oldest son is disabled. Mainly, I'm worried about the need for some games that you need to stand for.

He cannot stand and plays by sitting on his knees or just lying down and trying to use the controller.

I'm just wondering if I'm right in thinking this would be totally useless for my lad. Or is there some games that he could play, ones that dont need you to kick or stand or walk ?

Sorry to hear about your lad. What sort of age is he? Much of Kinectimals is upper body only but that might be a bit young for him.

Being a good way back from the sensor will help with those games not requiring leg movement. It will probably be a bit hit and miss though, can't think of any games that are upper body only. Children of Eden (released next year) might be.

Oh just thought, Joyride is upper body only but you need to lean to powerslide. Not sure how mobile he is?

He has just turned 12, and is an avid gamer.

He is not very mobile, most of his right hand side is hard for him to control. Leaning might be ok, but it all depends with him.

I normally wouldn't even consider this, but I thought that he would never be able to play xbox or wii properly, but he can play most games. His brother is the problem. I don't get these type of things if the boys can't play it together, but I don't want Ryan to keep missing out just because of his brother.

In this instance my inital thought is that the Wii would be a more rewarding experience. The very fact that Kinect is primarily focused on the user being the controller could mean that the experience for your son is one of frustration rather than enjoyment.

I think he would struggle with the current release titles, there is a lot of frantic movement on most of the games where you need to shift side-to-side quickly and jumping is quite common in most titles.

I think there will be a lot more accessible games in the future but the current release titles are a bit hit and miss for him sadly.

I think your right, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss something he could actually use.

He can control the Wii, but the are both bored with it. I don't think its been switched on in over a year, they just play Xbox and laptop mainly.

I think your right, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss something he could actually use.

He can control the Wii, but the are both bored with it. I don't think its been switched on in over a year, they just play Xbox and laptop mainly.

If your lads are bored of the Wii but the Wii style of things is suitable have you considered a Playstation Move? It's a lot more responsive than the Wii so I hear.

Thats very generous Lee, thank you.

I don't think it will be needed though.

Getting a ps move is a big step, as it would also mean getting them a PS3.

I'm sure they wouldn't !

Do you have two controllers with move ? Like one for each hand ? Because thats a problem for the boy.

One hand holds, the other presses buttons and moves joysticks.

I'm sure they wouldn't !

Do you have two controllers with move ? Like one for each hand ? Because thats a problem for the boy.

One hand holds, the other presses buttons and moves joysticks.

Most games only require the one single orb style controller, it can fit in the right or left hand.
Sorry to hear about your lad, just nice to see that it isn't preventing him (or you) from enjoying a game or two anyway.

Thanks all of you for your kind words towards my lad.

He is VERY determind, in fact his school describe him as 'fiercely Independant', which always makes me chuckle.

Its good to hear that about the orb, I think I heard that some older games will work with them despite them being out before the Move. I may go and have a chat about a PS3 then.

I know she will take some convincing, but we will see.

I normally wouldn't even consider this, but I thought that he would never be able to play xbox or wii properly, but he can play most games. His brother is the problem. I don't get these type of things if the boys can't play it together, but I don't want Ryan to keep missing out just because of his brother.

Even if he can't use it I'd go for it for his brother especially if you can think of something exciting for him too.

Speaking as someone who is badly disabled and who would have been described as fiercly indepenant while growing up there is absolutly nothing worse than feeling you are stoping those you love doing things, nothing worse than feeling a burden or a downer and of course you don't want your other son to resent him in anyway.

Of course he may look at it occasionally with longing eyes and feel a short pang of sadness that he doesn't get to use it but there is a million things like that in life and he would feel much worse (well I would in his situation) if he felt like you wouldn't get a kinect because of him.

I'm older now of course (about to be 30) but I'd a million times prefer to sit there and cheer on others playing or laught at their expence as they jump around than feel like I was stoping others doing what they wanted to do.

Off topic but thought its worth a mention please take 2 mins to sign up for the Quadriplegic Gamers Custom Button Mapping Petition.

YouTube - Quadriplegic Gamers Petition - YouTube Community Help Request! AskACapper

What Is Custom Button reMapping?
Remapping is the ability to move button assigned actions on a controller to any button a gamer chooses. Many games today come with four or five presets for the control of the game. And a gamer is left to choose from among these preset to find one that will work best for him or her.
Custom button remapping on the other hand means that the player can choose what buttons on the controller control what ever actions they desire. No longer would they need to choose from a handful of preset when in essence they will be able to choose whatever works best for them.
the Comedy of AskACapper.com

Even if he can't use it I'd go for it for his brother especially if you can think of something exciting for him too.

Speaking as someone who is badly disabled and who would have been described as fiercly indepenant while growing up there is absolutly nothing worse than feeling you are stoping those you love doing things, nothing worse than feeling a burden or a downer and of course you don't want your other son to resent him in anyway.

Of course he may look at it occasionally with longing eyes and feel a short pang of sadness that he doesn't get to use it but there is a million things like that in life and he would feel much worse (well I would in his situation) if he felt like you wouldn't get a kinect because of him.

I'm older now of course (about to be 30) but I'd a million times prefer to sit there and cheer on others playing or laught at their expence as they jump around than feel like I was stoping others doing what they wanted to do.

I understand what you are saying, but I've started to follow that path and it does seem (at the moment at least) that the boys are spending less time with each other.

Josh (disabled lad) is usualy on his laptop, and Ryan can be found practicing his martial arts, on his mobile or playing on DS. They have always been close, and Ryan cares for him by helping him when he gets stuck, telling us when Josh needs the toilet, fetching him drinks, etc.

But since Josh has been stuck to the laptop (through Facebook he can actual talk to people now) and Ryan glued to his phone or DS, they seem to be becomming more distant to one another.

The xbox was great for them to actually play together, as you can appreciate it can be difficult finding something they can do together that Josh does not need help with.

The playstation move has caught my interest though, I'm going to have to see if I can try one out somewhere.

Thats very generous Lee, thank you.

I don't think it will be needed though.

Getting a ps move is a big step, as it would also mean getting them a PS3.

That is a very generous offer from Lee and I think you should take him up on it.

There is no way of knowing for sure until you try it and see.

I don't know if this helps, but, one evening I wanted to try the Kinect but was too lazy to move my chair and work table out of the way. So I just started it up and played. It worked fine for some games, but, obviously it didnt work for any of the running games. Table tennis and bowling worked perfectly. I think you might be plesantly surprised how well it might work :)

Spelling sucks :) should be pleasantly not plesantly!!

Last edited:
I have PS3 Move and Kinect, if you're in or near East Yorkshire it is no problem to pop round and have a go.

Thanks for the offer but I live in the west midlands, I still don't know what to do.

I might just get them a new TV for their room, as the TV they have now is just a crappy old CRT.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom